American-born Muslim harassed in line at supermarket: "I wish they didn't let you in the country"

Yet they don’t know that all republic means is that they are not a monarchy.

But that isn’t democracy. It’s ochlocracy.

I admit, they are about the only people who think that it would be a good thing.

4 Likes

I hear you! So here’s a unicorn cute puppy chaser for you:

I hope it helps! :wink:

15 Likes

More “They’re All The Same” bullshit, muddying the waters.

I think it’s even more visceral than that. It’s overt tribalism. If (after US splits apart and the Republic of Gilead is established) this women perceived Coloradans to be somehow benefiting more than white Restonian Virginians, she’d have hatred for “those Coloradans”. Which is why, when 'Murica does split apart, it will be into a sad Balkanization of multiple states.

Reminds me of Die Wochenshau, Nazi Germany’s wartime propaganda, and of course, 1984.

I always thought Obama was Christian like Jefferson was, culturally Christian, but intellectually agnostic. I don’t think Obama believes in the divinity of Jesus.

It’s only been 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 days!     1352 to go!

Shopping Cart Racist is probably conflating the anti-Hillary propaganda to include Obama. It all exists in her brain as a bouillabaisse soup of racism, tribalism, memes, and slogans, ready to be added to and seasoned by fresh tweets and Facebook posts.

2 Likes

Oh, you mean a deist?

2 Likes

Isn’t a deist someone who believes that God created the world/universe and has been on an extended smoke break ever since?

7 Likes

Something like that…
https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Founding-Fathers-Deism-and-Christianity-1272214

2 Likes

Well, of course! After all, Jesus was a white dude with blue eyes, a nose of fine bone structure, and dirty blonde hair.

It’s not like he was middle eastern from 2k years ago (assuming he was an actual historical figure).

9 Likes

I remember when the BBC showed the program that the second image came from. There was someone who wrote to Points of View later that week who was really angry that they hadn’t made Jesus look like the white man they believed he was.

2 Likes

Obligatory, from Tim Kreider:

12 Likes

That reminded me of the people who were bothered that actor Daniel Day Lewis (as Abraham Lincoln) spoke with a likely historically accurate voice and not with the booming deep voice employed by all other Lincoln actors. (See excerpt further down from Slate website re DDL’s voicing). Show me the person who’s dismissive of accuracy and I’ll show you someone who’ll cling to their ignorance and who can’t be reasoned with.

Slate excerpt: “Uncanny, convincing, and historically right,” said Holzer [leading Lincoln expert] ]… How so? Holzer pointed specifically to “the combined Kentucky-Hoosier twang” and, again, “the surprisingly high-pitched voice.” After all… “Lincoln didn’t growl—in fact some people said he whined!”

6 Likes

For some reason, The Daily Star has appeared front page of Google.UK news with some pretty insane headlines. I can see someone like this buying into the histrionics because it validates their sense of the world and they never seem to notice that its only reported from one source and with similar over the top alarmist articles.

1 Like

I think a lot of atheists want to believe Obama is really one of them, and I think a lot of fundies want to believe he’s an atheist for the opposite reason. It’s silly really. On his faith, I just take him at his word, because it doesn’t matter much if he believes in a fairy god father. Sure we’d like him to be smarter than that, but faith hasn’t ever been a particularly good indicator of gullibility. People are so inundated with it their entire lives that it’s got logic-resistant barriers wrapped around it like no other delusion, so it’s pretty much the most likely irrational belief for a smart savvy person to have despite their savvy and smarts.

5 Likes

Atheists won’t get far in US politics. Even if he were an atheist, he would have to join a church to further his political career. I don’t know what’s in his heart. It would not terribly surprise me if he were an atheist, or at least agnostic, but if he actually is Christian, that wouldn’t surprise me either.

8 Likes

This has been shared locally in the DC area for a few days now. I knew it was a matter of time before it went viral. On the one hand, I’m not generally happy with the idea of vigilante justice or recording people and sharing them against their will, no matter how horrible they are.

On the other hand, not only is this lady racist and crazy, but she’s being racist and crazy in an area where there’s a huge population of Middle Eastern and South Asian folks. So, she’s racist, crazy, and really stupid to start a conversation right out with that, with someone who has a high likelihood of being a target of her speech. I get this sort of conversation started with me – usually on airplanes where I can’t leave – on a regular basis, but I’m an unassuming looking white dude.

In short, f**k her. This is my new Nazi punching video.

5 Likes

Well hello neighbor. And yes, given that Alexandria/Arlington/Springfield are fairly diverse, you’d THINK people are more tolerant here. Sadly, no, the crazy and horrible is just coming out of the woodwork now.

2 Likes

FTFY.

People start these conversations with me all the time. They figure that just because I’m a pasty white guy like they are, that must mean I share their appallingly racist beliefs :confused:

17 Likes

Howdy hey neighbor! What I don’t get is that TJ’s is well known as having an extremely diverse customer base as opposed to some of the other big box grocers. It’s like the United Nations in there on any given day. Avocados are hard to find sometimes so, perhaps she was desperate to get some while they last or she was just lost, confused or listening to the alt-right voices in her head again…

Same here. When I used to sport a goatee I was apparently in the club. It’s the reason I shaved it off. I want no part of that uniform. I still get random conversations that start with dog whistles and quickly ramp up to full on trumpeteerism.

8 Likes

I recommend the eyebleach subreddit for a daily dose of cute. Reddit - Dive into anything
Mostly animals, too few cats (though it might be too few for me if there were hundreds a day). There was this super cute video of a little girl so happy to get a kitten she was crying.

3 Likes

FTFY.

People start these conversations with me all the time. They figure that just because I’m a pasty white guy like they are, that must mean I share their appallingly racist beliefs :confused:

Yeah, doesn’t help that I’m from the Southwest/Midwest originally, and was raised to be completely polite and not have the f**k off vibe in public unless I’m really trying.

What I don’t get is that TJ’s is well known as having an extremely diverse customer base as opposed to some of the other big box grocers. It’s like the United Nations in there on any given day.

THIS!!! Trader Joe’s in Old Town Alexandria is essentially the UN, and I imagine the one in Reston looks like the Cantina scene from Star Wars in both diversity and sheer chaos in shopping. Even the craziest of racists should know to get in, grab your avocados, and run out of there as fast as you can after paying, without starting any conversations.

6 Likes

One might imagine that things would be better north of the Potomac, but we’re still south of the Mason-Dixon line. This happened just down the road from our house:

I would point out the irony of these flyers, given the demographics of the surrounding communities, but that may be exactly why the perpetrator(s) picked this location. (It’s also entirely possible they’re not from around here.)

3 Likes