American Carnage: the worst-case election day pundits fear

Every time someone says “what about all the panic around y2k, that sure turnedi to nothing”, you remember that compliance was one of the biggest expenses for some pretty big companies, not to mention the sheer man hours that went into making sure it didn’t happen, thats the point of doing preventive work it save you time,effort, and money, like why social medicine and basic income are important to society

11 Likes

surely at this point it is better to encourage anyone who has not sent their mailin vote already, to go and vote on the day?
The more people who vote against Trump in person, the more it reduces his position that he can claim that he won on the day.

It would be delicious if he lost on the Day AND in the mail in votes.

7 Likes

And then there are the cases when something did happen

6 Likes

I don’t know about PA, but in MN—as I’ve been told by a close relative who works at the polls—workers can begin feeding the mail-in and early ballots into the machines starting two weeks before election day, but no actual votes are tallied until after the polls close on election day—same as the ballots that are cast on election day are fed into the machines throughout the day: a running count of ballots is kept, and then after the polls close the head election judge at the precinct pushes a button and everyone stands around and watches as the final tally of votes is printed out.

I did a mail-in ballot here in MN. I mailed it back on Tuesday Oct 13. The online tracking tool tells me that my ballot was accepted on Thursday Oct 15, and that my vote will be counted. So my ballot will be fed into a machine any day now, and my vote will be counted after the polls close, along with all others.

Again, no idea about PA as to when they count the actual votes—just sharing what I know about MN.

6 Likes

I’m sorry that’s not going to happen.

As a nation we have a long road ahead of us. We aren’t by a long shot over our authoritarian problems.

I have hopeful, but white moderates have never been a good ally.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.