An epic chart comparing every science fiction spaceship ever

It might be too small, depending on which measurements the artist is using; the chart’s minimum length is 100 meters, and a quick search gives me figures for the Serenity that are either under or over that.

it has been many times. Sometimes even with an update.

RTFO! Why bother with flying penises when you can have a police box that defies all laws of physics and has a really crappy navigation system?
Well, 13/0 on the incarnations for The Doctor as feminine - and the Tardis is still longer than it is wide…on the outside at least…
And there is that other thing with the anal probing that I can’t really talk about…

While I completely relate to your loyalty on this subject, technically the T.A.R.D.I.S. is a space time ship, not just a space ship. How do you even rate the speed of travel of a craft that can arrive at its destination earlier then it left, and who’s appearance and size are largely a projected psychic hologram? Besides, who is to say that it won’t appear on the poster sometime after you hang it on your wall, i’d keep checking every day just to be sure… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

“The prophecies of the Minibar are coming true.”

And includes Serenity, the Tardis, and some others people seem to be missing.

1 Like

It’s in there. But it’s to scale.

This looks like the best battle in E.V.E. Online ever.

4 Likes

After a few hours with Kerbal Space Program, I quickly realized that non-phallic space ships are HARD to design.

That “HARD” bit was a penis joke, by the way!

3 Likes

if anything called for a full HTML5 site, it’s this damn poster.

1 Like

Getting some pretty strong Google Wave flashbacks here.

Also, big boo to the recording. It sounds like you can’t turn it off altogether, only delete what has already been recorded. And I’m not entirely clear on whether it deletes a segment for everyone, or just your own copy.

Then there is the Ringworld…

3 Likes

He says in the comments it’s too small, but I think rules were made to be broken.

No Millennium Falcon or Nostromo? Sad face.

Still, this epic work of art is impressive.

Most impressive.

The posters were much smaller in the 70’s and 80’ but they usually included the charming detail of having real spacecraft in addition to the fictional ones.

1 Like

At least some SF ships are gravitic, at least for high speed/long distance maneuvering (all warp drive/hyperdrive/wornhole travel also falls into this category) so in that scenario load shouldn’t be an issue.

And the front-down design is probably good for attacks, but would seem to fail for defense since your opponents could just as easily attack from any angle, suggesting radial symmetry for defensive structures (unless you are an orbital station, in which case you want to be cylindrical most likely.

And some of these ships are kilometers long. I doubt reactor placement would be a big problem in a km diameter sphere vs. a ship-shaped structure. And if your society hasn’t figured out how to shield a reactor well… don’t build nuclear spaceships, especially not for combat.

A friend of mine added the GSV Sleeper Service (imgur.com link) for scale. The ellipse is the extent of its fields, which may be a more accurate representation of a GSV’s “size” anyhow.

6 Likes

Too many factors to say. Depends if energy to open wormhole is proportional to its portal diameter. Artificial gravity may be beneficial, structure-wise, or may add more structural loads; also a coin-toss.

That’s true for melee-style of battle. When fighting over longer distances, you want your cross-section to be as small as you can get away with. Same for observability. Anisotropic design gives you more freedom than a sphere. On the other hand, Borg went for a sphere with quite a success, so it will be another multifactor choice.

Quite depends on the reactor power. The bigger the ship, the bigger the power-plant has to be.

Cue the number of problems with reactor leaks on Soviet submarines, the nuclear bomber projects, the nuclear powered ramjet whose reactor successfully ran on a test rail… Some pretty crazy/awesome stuff, some of which did not get fielded only because the missile tech robbed them of their usefulness…

How many readers here are familiar with Cordwainer Smith’s Instrumentality of Mankind series? One of the stories in that is “Golden the Ship Was - Oh! Oh! Oh!” (1959) which featured a fleet of warcraft larger than most stars.

1 Like

Size queenery in SF really doesn’t impress me. When you deal with people who can affect reality on a universal scale–say, Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet in Marvel comics (and maybe the movies)–they could slap together a spaceship the size of a galactic cluster just by thinking hard… and what of it? It takes some doings to come up with a really original and pretty design, and for my money the best is still the original Constitution-class Enterprise, although I’m quite fond of the Normandy SR2 from Mass Effect as well.

1 Like