And now, eight hours of vintage department store holiday music

Ok I took hour 2 as well. And I regret it

It starts out great, do yourself a favor and tune in a 1:00:30 and listen to Joy To The World and Most Wonderful Time Of the Year. You can quit then.

Disturbingly at 1:32:00 the whole set starts to repeat the section from the super-frantic version of Jingle Bells at 0:06:00

I was promised 8 hours of music, not a full half hour of repeats after only 1.5 hours.

1:00:30 Joy To The World. Sounds like a Moog. Pretty cool!
1:02 Most Wonderful Time of the Year. Hip, lounge-jazzy, off-kilter rendition. Thumbs up.
1:04:30 Jingle Bells. Yet another version, and another poor one. Disappointing after 2 gems!
1:07 Silver and Gold. Nothing special, but not bad.
1:10 Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting). Sounds exactly like 19:00 but it’s a different song.
1:11:30 Starts like it’s going to be King Of The Road but it’s The First Noel, somehow…
1:13:30 Silver Bells, most of the time, It tends to get lost. I guess it’s not bad, a bit short.
1:15 Poor attempt at Chet-Atkins version of something. I should recognize the tune but I don’t
1:17:30 Santa Claus is Coming To Town. Snappier version than 39:00 but no better.
1:20 Skater’s Waltz. Sounds like it would be fun to watch them record this version.
1:21:30 Some bland tune I don’t recognize. Not very catchy, whatever it is.
1:24 Bombastic and busy version of…something with sleigh bells all over it. I’m drawing a blank.
1:26:30 White Christmas. Better than 49:00 but still has rough edges
1:29 Man I am getting bad at identifying these.
1:30 Joy to the World. Not nearly as good as early synth version at 1:00:30
*********** from here, repeats section starting from 0:06:00 *****************
1:32 Jingle Bells same as 00:06:00. REPEAT ALERT. Didn’t realize just how caffeinated this version is, wow.
1:35 Here Comes Santa Claus. REPEAT OF VERSION at 0:09:00.
1:37 LITTLE DRUMMER BOY FROM 9:00 AGAIN. 8 hours my ass.
1:40 Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer REPEAT FROM 0:15:00 This is getting scandalous.
1:42 Same song as 00:18:00
1:44 Have Yourself ANOTHER REPEAT, all in a row. This whole section is a big repeat. Ripoff!
1:47 Frantic song REPEAT. Tape goes bad in the middle of it too
1:50 YET ANOTHER LITTLE DRUMMER BOY. They are ruining one of the better songs on this whole 8 hour mix.
1:53 TWELVE DAYS, REPEAT
1:55 WALKING IN A REPEAT WONDERLAND
1:57:30 FIRST NOEL, MORE LIKE THE SECOND NOEL AMIRITE?
1:59:20 Same unknown department store tune as in the first hour REPEAT.

8 Likes

Someone needs to apply the audio processing to make it sound like it’s playing in an abandoned mall.

8 Likes

I’m generally a closet audiophile, but something’s comforting about these lo-fi analog tapes that have been looped endlessly, and likely erased and re-used dozens of times.

2 Likes

A time machine, a quick edit job, and then watch and wait.

6 Likes

Today you are part of what makes the internet a good thing.
(Absolutely no snark or sarcasm intended.)

2 Likes

Here We Come A-wassailing

2 Likes

My father had a department insde a department store and supplied the music, which was all soul chart all the time. Including Christmas, since that’s what he sold.

Here, have some Donny Hathaway:

6 Likes

Oh man! I so want the lyrics to this!!

I listened to it while working around the house today and I don’t feel haunted. Possessed with the spirit of Christmas perhaps, but not haunted.

Die Hard 1__It's just not christmas until Hans Gruber falls

5 Likes

I can’t help but think of a Scorcese-esque elevator scene where Joe Pesci and crew are waiting for the mom and kid to get off at the next floor so they can “take care of” a guy.

Happy Holidays!

1 Like

1:15 Poor attempt at Chet-Atkins version of something. I should recognize the tune but I don’t

Isn’t that Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?

1 Like

Oh by gosh by golly, it’s time for mistletoe and holly :musical_note:

1 Like

7 Likes

Happy Holidays

14 Likes

Aw, dad, you shouldn’t have!

No, I’m dead serious, you shouldn’t have.

4 Likes

Followed by “All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth”, which I had forgotten about shortly after my class sang it in the elementary school Christmas pageant.

3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes