Angry guy traps dirt bikers

For those who didn’t grow up in the country and who don’t know how it works, here is a short primer.
As a child we are told that if you cross a fence you can be shot, if your dog runs in to a neighbors property you can expect it to be shot. It’s a fact of life. Farmers and ranchers live by a razor thin margins for the most part. Damaging their property can mean the difference between eating that winter and losing the family farm.With so much at stake, farmers take property damage very seriously.

18 Likes

I would imagine he would use that inch to go to his truck, get the gun he probably has there, and shoot the little punks. Not a good outcome. Everybody walking away is preferable.

Assuming, that is, that those two little squirts could even take him. They are so wet behind the ears they must put towels on their pillows, and a man his age may well have been in the service.

2 Likes

Appalachian Trail hiker here. There are many people my way that have zero respect for the law. Signs be damned - if they’ve gotten away with it they’ll try to get away with it again. State forest, private land, whatever. The results are destroyed foot trails but they don’t care. It’s not just “trespassing”. Someone walking on your lawn is trespassing. Someone riding around on your lawn on a dirt bike is more than that. I don’t blame the guy for getting angry – the intentional damage to the trucks is unfortunate but I’m glad these punks got cited. Hopefully they’ll tell their buddies and this guy’s property won’t be used for a teenage playground anymore.

15 Likes

I’m going to disagree. There’s more things to consider. Property rights aren’t absolute. There’s certain right of way usages that just b/c someone puts up a fence doesn’t mean the space is off limits.

1 Like

It’s not rocket science. Before you go using land – especially if on quads, trikes, dirtbikes, mountain bikes or if trapping, fishing, or hunting – find out whose it is and get permission.

9 Likes

I’m not a dirt biker. I do mountain biking and a lot of hiking there’s lots of spaces around where I live that have no trespassing signs but they’re ignored or they’re of dubious legality (one of the most dubious put up by the federal government no less). edit: some signs are respected because it’s “known” they need to be respected. How one aqcuires that knowledge is often a myster.

I just think if the guy should’ve just told them to leave and that they weren’t welcome. If he’d tried what he did in some places he might have ended up missing permanently. Shrug

I do volunteer conservation work every now and again. It’s pretty upsetting to see fences and signs banning motorized vehicles broken and cast aside, even in research areas.It seems to be happening more often unfortunately.

12 Likes

“Festival of douchebags” has a lighter feel than “asshole parade” which unfortunately can be confused with Friday nights at the Fist & Ramrod Bar down in SOHO.

3 Likes

It’s not always that straightforward. There’s often cultural significance to fishing spots and trails. Some people would take offence to the notion they need to ask permission to use resources that have been used by their ancestors for generations just because someone now put up a fence.

I guess I don’t really know what to make of that. If there is something posted, I will respect it, or contact authorities. There might be deliniations that I don’t agree with, but that’s a fight I am not intetested in fighting on the trail.

I didn’t really want to justify or take either side in this situation, but here I am. If there was an established trail that led those kids through and across the property owner’s land, it was almost certainly an ongoing problem. When old guy caught these kids, he was already fired up from damage done before they ever got there. While his approach left a lot to be desired, so did the behavior of the boys.

I don’t agree that most people would trespass and then beat the property owners who tried to stop them- thank God, that’s no kind of world I want to live in- least of all the kid taping this, who actually drove away from the conflict and left his friend behind.

6 Likes

Can I please get a citation for that claim?

6 Likes

We must not impugn the sanctity of these little punks’ ancestral right to tear up farmland with dirtbikes, as generations of little punks have from time immemorial.

11 Likes

I don’t agree that most people would trespass and then beat the property owners who tried to stop them- thank God,

It wasn’t that he tried to stop them it was the attempted vehicular homicide which I’m assuming happened outside of this man’s property.

eye roll

2 Likes

I’m not really convinced that he was trying to kill them, because he had already called the cops. He did clip the truck, but the camera wasn’t pointed in the right direction at that moment. It is also unclear to me where they were at that time. So again, less than ideal behavior all the way around, I’m just glad no one was hurt.

2 Likes

two little shits trespass to taunt an elder, elder lashes out in misguided fashion in sudden reaction to the disturbance to his own business that he was previously minding, peacefully. Both or either side is presented for you to identify with as you chose to, or chose not to.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s a real stretch to try to apply the Castle Doctrine to a piece of uninhabited land, but that is, I’m sure, what @anotherone is referring to.

Sigh, and this is why I didn’t want to take a side.

Are you certain that is what happened?

What did he do that qualifies as force?

Anyone as reasonable as that would turn their motorbike off, give the guy a listen, and not be trashing the landscape somewhere they didn’t know they had clearance to do so in the first place.

Other people in other contexts made different videos. How much further would you like to see the goalposts moved?

7 Likes

While I agree the old guy was reckless and wrong when he clipped the other truck like that there’s no way I’m siding with those dirtbike douchebags.

My favorite line: “Why can’t we have any fun [at the expense of others]?”

6 Likes