Anti-mask students in Michigan are urged by parents to push into school

Originally published at: Anti-mask students in Michigan are urged by parents to push into school | Boing Boing

6 Likes

(Apologies to CSN&Y for the poetic license to kill…)

:musical_note:
Teach your parents well,
Your father’s health,
Will quickly go bye.

Don’t you ever ask them “Why?”
If they told you, you would cry.
:musical_note:

12 Likes

Stay Home Red Panda GIF

12 Likes

Those parents are assholes. This is how you raise self-centered cretins.

I talked to another parent recently about what it’s like to have our young kids back in schools – but in masks. We both noted that the kids first and foremost are just happy to be there. Masks are a requirement they can live with, even if they don’t enjoy having them on the entire day. The attitudes all come from the parents. They argue that the mandates and safety procedures are such a huge disruption, ignoring the irony of their role in drawing attention away from classes and prolonging this hell.

45 Likes

Parents bravely raising America’s assholes of tomorrow, today!

27 Likes

I get that he’s trying to make lemonade, but man…

“…but we were doing our due diligence and making sure that they understood that entering the building without a mask isn’t in compliance.”

Getting a minor’s sign-off is not due diligence.

13 Likes

I’m trying really hard not to get upset about things like this, as it doesn’t accomplish anything and it’s not doing my blood pressure any good, I’m sure. But nope, it’s not working. I’m probably going to die of a stroke before the pandemic ends, at this rate.

“I wouldn’t want to block students or anything like that, so that’s certainly how they got past us, but we were doing our due diligence and making sure that they understood that entering the building without a mask isn’t in compliance.”

I mean, w.t.f? Students need to have masks to enter school, but they’re not going to stop them if they don’t? They’re going to explain to them that they’re not “in compliance” and then… do nothing? Kids can’t get away with this shit for things that don’t matter at all, but can when it’s literally a life-and-death matter? “You bad-mouthed the school in private. You’re suspended.” “You’re wearing a dress with spaghetti straps/one inch above your knees. You have to go home.” “Your pants have a hole in them one centimeter too high. You can’t be in class.” “We’ll bring the cops on campus to harass and man-handle the Black kids, but can’t use them to make sure only mask-wearers are allowed in!”

So many schools are being either gutless or witless right now, and if they aren’t, there are “parent’s groups” (that may not include any actual parents) who are going to threaten them into compliance. This country is such a mess.

26 Likes

Wondering on the sheriff himself is not wearing mask!! :thinking:
No wonder, he is just walking away, washing his hands off

3 Likes

Realtime History of the Decline and Fall of the American Empire

14 Likes

More Moloch worshipers, looking to sacrifice the children of others along with their own. The school should deduct from the kids’ overall grade point average each day they show up unmasked as a demonstration of the cost of their going along with their parents’ willful ignorance.

“I wouldn’t want to block students or anything like that, so that’s certainly how they got past us, but we were doing our due diligence and making sure that they understood that entering the building without a mask isn’t in compliance.”

That’s not “due diligence”, that’s doing a crappy job of CYA. Is the motto of this school district “Ignorance is Gud”?

The transition has been palpable over the past year, especially in contrast to China taking concrete steps over the same period to decide what kind of empire it will be. It’s all grimly fascinating.

12 Likes

I wonder if they still had to walk through the metal detectors.

15 Likes

The ones without masks were all sent to a common room away from the other students. Where they spent the day, essentially in-school detention. No sympathy for missed lectures, missed homework, or missed exams.

12 Likes

I imagine it would be incredibly difficult to keep these students out physically. There are a lot of (Very good and important) rules about touching children and adolescents and I imagine if they had been physically blocked by hands and bodies, that would have opened the teachers and school personnel up to a world of legal trouble. Managing to get them into a separate space is probably the best they could do and I’m surprised they managed even that.

Schools are being spineless, but from my perspective it’s because their hands are tied. Many bad policies are coming from higher up, too.
I’m teaching at the college level so it’s slightly different. What I’ve seen this pandemic in terms of spinelessness has all been in the form of Not Doing The Right Thing Until Somebody Tells Us To.
Now that things are opening it back up it’s taking the form of ‘I Know Nobody Likes This But We Have To Start Going Back.’ The place I’m at now is better than most but it’s still not good. My department has fought back hard and with some success and we’re still online this semester, at least.

7 Likes

I’m sure it’s been covered but they don’t care about their OWN children, much less the ones they could be harming. They’re just there to thump their chests and act tough.

3 Likes

Read this and once again asked, “Why the hell do I keep doing what I do when so many people don’t care?” And once again answered myself, “Because you are too damned dumb to do anything else.” And so it goes…

19 Likes

It boogles the mind how we, as a species, have managed to survive this long.

5 Likes

Republicans going full in on “we don’t care about mass casualty events in schools”. Going to kill a lot of teachers.

4 Likes

The Unites States is a nation of spoiled brats.

6 Likes

“Be kind and respectful,” because we expect to be treated the opposite of how we’re behaving.

5 Likes

So if a student forces their way into a mask-mandated school, they need to be isolated from other students and treated to an eight hour intensive lecture about COVID19 from a health professional who truly understands the risks they’re taking. EVERY DAY. None of this independent study crap. Either they accept the info and maybe even take it home to their parents, or they don’t want to come back.

Maybe even a trip to an ICU unit.

11 Likes