Anti-Trump activists call a national general strike for Feb 17: buy nothing, protest everywhere

Wow. Some of the people here are acting so discouraging, it makes me wonder who’s side you’re really on.

Ha, you think the DH is bad???

1 Like

In case anybody is interested:

Wait. So the rich guy who was born on second base and thinks he’s hit a double is going to become an actual literal thing?!

12 Likes

checks URL to make sure he isn’t on Facebook.

5 Likes

What about telnet?

I think it was pretty clear what he meant.

11 Likes

General strikes are useful in that they scare the bejeezus out of those who control capital and political power, but they have to have clear and focused demands attached. It also helps to have a powerful union movement co-ordinating things. While I like the concept of a general strike that brings the wheels of the nation grinding to a halt, I’m afraid that this one seems a little half-baked, less a general strike than a Friday’s worth of nationwide rallies (which, don’t get me wrong, are useful too).

6 Likes

Amusing to see how fast the FUD-istas respond immediately and overwhelmingly to BB posts like this one.

1 Like

We need a kite surfing community organizer! But he’s on vacation right now.

1 Like

I’ve already put in my PTO request for that day. That’ll send Trump a message!
(I still plan to make a purchase from the liquor store that day though. After all, it’s a Friday.)

1 Like

It’s not a strike if you take the day off. What’s next? Are you going to riot in your own home so that you don’t inconvenience anyone?

2 Likes

Probably how Canadians riot.

4 Likes

Thank you. My feeling as well. Feels half baked and not advertised enough to be effective.

That’s obvious, it’s to give us a chance to have an in-depth discussion about the difference between a strike and a protest. The next day, we’ll all have had a chance to settle the matter and will have decided when we will use which word and then adhere to that. Because that’s what this is all about.

Save that for the next one day strike/protest where we decide the difference between “idle” and “dumb-ass”.

1 Like

[quote=“Humbabella, post:55, topic:94696”]
Save that for the next one day strike/protest where we decide the difference between “idle” and “dumb-ass”
[/quote] I know just the expert on what constitutes someone to be one or the other

1 Like

And half baked is fine. With time to square things away. Its unlikely they have enough. They should push it at least a month or two. Or set the damn thing for May Day. When these things are traditionally conducted.

4 Likes

That’s going to be interesting this year. It’s lively enough here normally.

1 Like

That wouldn’t May 09 now would it? Because I am betting 45 is having one too.

Got to keep limber for V Day comrades.

1 Like

Their demand is “to follow the Constitution”? So, it’s a Tea Party rally?

4 Likes