AOC asks for Boebert to face consequences for racist comments about Omar in strong, fiery presser

Originally published at: AOC asks for Boebert to face consequences for racist comments about Omar in strong, fiery presser | Boing Boing

18 Likes

Star Trek Reaction GIF

50 Likes

This is Boebert’s go to, violence towards anyone she sees as a threat, and not the first time either…

41 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know why Boebert hasn’t been expelled from the House. She and Gosar and Taylor-Greene are … well, one word doesn’t really capture how truly awful they all are.

22 Likes

Because BOTH SIDES ARE BAD!!! /s

StupidTimeToBeAlive

21 Likes

Yeah, it’s weird, because Congressional bigotry, when practiced by experts like Newt Gringrich doesn’t leave the evidence trail that Boebert’s bigotry does.

Gringrich et al just sneered at liberals and used the adjectival Democrat itself as a pejorative slur. ("What? How is that an insult? I'm just criticizing Democrat policies! Oh, and I'm not touching you-- I'm just holding my finger inches from your face.") The GQP was so successful with Hillary’s Emails they even tricked some Democrats to cannibalize their own. A racist doesn’t need to be overtly racist; they just need to say Critical Race Theory with the same sneer that they’d issue a racist insult.

But Boebert is so ungainly and inept, she fell into, and drowned, in the deep end of the pool where expert bigots always know to stay at the shallow end. I’m just surprised there are no tapes of her using actual racist epithets.

11 Likes

I’m just glad we have at least ONE congress person who is willing to stand up strongly to these fascist, violent bastards. Biden’s about as forceful as a damp tissue.

23 Likes

I was listening for fiery. I didn’t hear fiery. I heard reason, with emphasis, but she made all her points without getting loud. Getting loud is tricky for women politicians because it’s easy for opponents to cast that as ‘shrill,’ which implies weak, irrational, and other misogynistic tropes about women. I’d say she did a great job, if her job is to help buoy up her supporters and Rep. Omar’s supporters. But it’s going to make no difference whatsoever to Rep. McCarthy. Perhaps there are some rational Republicans that this will work on, but they mostly seem to be keeping silent.

14 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/30/politics/lauren-boebert-ilhan-omar-video-comments/index.html

The video of Boebert’s anti-Muslim comments, made in New York at a September Staten Island Conservative Party dinner, were posted on Facebook that month by an attendee running for borough president.

“One of my I staffers, on his first day with me, got into an elevator in the Capitol. And in that elevator, we were joined by Ilhan Omar,” Boebert told the crowd in September. "It was just us three in there and I looked over and I said, well, lookey there, it’s the Jihad Squad.

12 Likes

The only problem is that AOC gets a post on BB and a few news sites while Boebert and Co. appear nightly on every news show, whether defending her like Fox does or criticizing her like CNN. The fact remains that BoeCo get tons of screen time to spout her bullshit while AOC is reduced to a background voice. Guess it makes sense, though. Impassioned hate sells a lot more cars than impassioned truth.

16 Likes

The thing is…she’s making time to do her bullshit videos, taking time out of her day to spout fascist nonsense much the same way MTG takes time out of her day to harass democrat representatives. I feel that AOC is spending her time to try and take care of business at hand, but here again the bad apples are only adding to her workload.

16 Likes

Because the general media is goose-stepping America towards fascism just like they did with the goddamn Iraq war because eyeballs and dollars.

4 Likes

And like they did with failed businessman Donald J. Tromp.

8 Likes

Biden can’t do anything about this, though, and AOC is demanding action here, not forceful denouncing of Boebert’s comments. That’s been done, and AOC’s point is that’s not enough. The only people with the power to do something about Boebert are Pelosi and McCarthy, and McCarthy has made it clear he has no intention of doing anything. The ball is now in Pelosi’s court.

9 Likes

AOC should be President. Period. She is amazing beyond words.

7 Likes

7 years from now she may well be just that.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Maybe if she tones down her supposed radicalism. If not, there’s no way the Dem establishment would let her win the nomination.

3 Likes

Technically, she’s eligible to run in 2024, but…

This. I don’t see any way the leadership would allow her to become the nominee; they’ll pick someone far less controversial.

9 Likes

what in the biden would make you think that? :sob:

4 Likes