AOC backs Biden

… it’s always “true” that “X might Y”

and it’s hardly news that many voters would prefer a completely different election :unamused:

2 Likes

I suppose that depends on if they only listened the volume and delivery or if they listened to the content and policy of the words being spoken.

I agree with this, but likely for different reasons. I think the team prepared for the wrong strategy. Then, Biden tried to execute that strategy instead of changing when it was clear that wouldn’t work.

He showed up for a debate that didn’t match the rules or the opponent. Then doubled down on sticking with that instead of adjusting to what was actually happening.

Picking a different candidate was a job for a year ago, before the first primary. We’re too late now. The vast majority of votes have been cast now. The train has left the station, the car is headed down the road, the plane is in the air. Primary voters have picked their choices based on who decided to run. The die is cast. Trying to change now would be a disaster.

There was huge uproar of Democratic Superdelegates overriding the will of the primary voters. Enough that they changed the rules to eliminate it from happening. To just flip on that now would be disastrous.

11 Likes

Supermajority of it, I’d say.

What I’m thinking is that it’s July. The election is still months away, and there’s very little happening in politics, but the media people feel like they must have something dramatic going on all the time. And, for various reasons (some worse than others), they don’t want to report on all the good stuff Biden and the Dems have been doing, while hammering on Trump for lying his ass off in the “debate”, or talking about Project 2025, or just reminding people what an absolute disaster his presidency was. So they’re spinning this wildly, for clicks and “drama”.

15 Likes

That’s the rub that seems to get lost in a lot of the posturing. If Biden really is the best option to beat Trump, then he’s doing the right thing by staying in. He might be, and in my opinion he probably is (barring another episode like happened at the debate; if that happens again, I think it’s over), but anyone telling you they know for certain that’s true and it’s a ridiculous question to ask at this point is trying to convince themselves as much as they’re trying to convince you.

5 Likes

… and “who is this guy mad at”

Trumpies know their guy hates minorities and uppity women, and beyond that they don’t care

4 Likes

It is amazing how often articles quoting Biden now add in “reading from a teleprompter” as though that is something that not all candidates and presidents have done at every speech since the invention of the teleprompter.

It is amazing how much more the press is asking if Biden is still a viable candidate for being and acting like an 80-year old than they are asking if Trump is a vialbe candidate for being and acting like a convicted felon.

Sure, Democratic voters are more likely to worry about whether a candidate is qualified and competent, but a steady stream of stories that start by asking prominent republicans “doesn’t it bother you to nominate a felon?” would make for some interesting copy.

I think Biden is good as president. After this year, he won’t need to campaign again, so it doesn’t really matter if he can’t debate or even if his infamous misspeaks increase in frequency. He’ll have good people in place, to do more or less the right thing.

Changing candidates confuses the message, means skeletons (real or manufactured) will come out of the closet with to little time to respond, and the narrative will be “disarray.”

The only Democrat who seems like she could slip into that role easily is Harris, and that makes no sense: The reason not to vote for Biden is that he is too old, meaning we might actually wind up with his VP in charge. If you would vote for Harris, you’d vote for Biden.

I am glad that she’s out there making a case for herself though. Voters should know who she is, since Biden is, in fact, old.

18 Likes

… it’s not a dog show, the buck doesn’t stop with his groomers :dog2:

Whatever happened, it’s on him :unamused:

3 Likes

Knew what, perchance?

Since you’re not answering, I’ll fill it in. You’re talking around some kind of armchair dementia diagnosis, right? Because that’s what I’m inferring.

Unless you’re the president’s neurologist, Don’t.

11 Likes

All the hype over Biden’s state of mind during the debate is all BS. Bad optics, but anyone working their butt off without enough sleep is going to get at least a bit rummy. I’ve been there all too many times. Can get really tough splicing together a coherent sentence, you know.

I suspect the underlying unspoken is the Biden naysayers have got their undies in a bunch over the thought of Kamala Harris becoming President. I mean, if the President steps down or dies in office, the VP just takes over. Right? She will then be the one in office.

7 Likes

Measured by what? Polls? I don’t trust any of them, and I’m pretty sure you don’t either. His performance in that one debate? Yeah I don’t care. He was bad. He acknowledged that. He has seemed completely with it since then. Measured by his performance in office? He’s kinda kicking ass. I reject the premise that Biden is doing badly.

22 Likes

That’s exactly the strategy he should have used. A few times, he did do this and those times looked his best. However, he quickly went back to what was clearly the original poorly chosen strategy.

I think he could have done this just fine. He did it well the few times he did take this path. The problem was, he was following a different plan.

Yet, that was clearly the strategy that was attempted.

It wasn’t that Biden wasn’t capable, slow, old, or not there. It was the same problem Biden has deat with for decades. He has a speech impediment. His brain was clearly working faster than he could get the words out. Compounded by trying to get 5 minutes of words jammed into a 2 minute window. Along with respecting the 2 minute timer politely.

The strategy of talking fast and jamming as much dense policy into the short time as possible was a loosing plan. While it played to the policy strengths of Biden vs Trump, it also ran smack into the speaking problems Biden has. Whomever created this strategy should be ashamed they didn’t realize this.

As we’ve seen, the media doesn’t care at all about the policy points. If they did, there would be hundreds of stories about how Trump’s policies at the debate, or the current GOP platform are all magical talking points with no details to support them. How they contradict and some of them will cause others to fail.

One guy said, “here’s how I’ll get the county form from A to B” and provided details. But, he stumbled doing it. The other guy said “everyone get’s a unicorn who will fly the county from A to B”. The news said, that guy with a plan, has to go, he didn’t sound right. Those unicorns are all fake, but damn, it sounded good.

13 Likes

Well, I’m fully convinced. After all, the New York Times keeps running article after article after article about it, and we can certainly trust the New York Times and the rest of elite national media to tell us the truth. Yes, the New York Times, which is run by people who have been Nazi-curious since the 1930s and who have made a point to hate every single Democrat in the history of the universe and have a tendency to lie over and over and over, keep screaming at me that this is a problem.

Remember in 2016 when they reminded us that Hillary Clinton had a serious problem with email system security and was also about to die of walking pneumonia? They were right then, and they’re right now.

I would also love to buy your bridge.

8 Likes

… if we could only find that villain and give him a piece of our mind

He’s ruining everything and should resign :thinking:

1 Like

2 Likes

I blame Biden for sticking to the strategy too. He could have switched tactics two minutes in instead of doubling down on what was clearly a loosing plan.

Throwing the entire election into chaos and stealing defeat from the jaws victory hardly feels like the correct response. Bit of an overreaction.

5 Likes

It’s only a dire situation if Trump gets in. In my opinion, and with I think some backing in numbers, Biden is still the best shot at keeping a Trump second term from happening.

As long as the sane majority gets out to vote in all swing statues and blue states, and doesn’t buy the both-sides-ism that sunk Clinton in 2016. That’s what I hope for and still expect. We’ll see of course.

1 Like

ONE THING TO NOTE: Even if Biden steps down and Harris becomes the presumptive nominee, she will still need a VP. That has to be agreed to by Congress, and you can bet your sweet bippy that the Republicans will stall and stall and eventually Nope everything, because without a VP, the next official in line for the presidency is, Lord help us, Speaker of the House Johnson :face_vomiting:

6 Likes

Sorta. The President Pro Tem of the Senate steps in for the current VP’s role in Congress and nothing official really changes other than succession.

Candidate Harris can pick whoever she wants for a running mate.

9 Likes

Or, to further pursue the edge case scenario, the Congress makes Trump an honorary Speaker of the House and then can further make him the VP.

In another unclosed Constitutional loophole, I don’t think there is any specific Constitutional reason why they couldn’t. A Speaker doesn’t actually have to be a member of Congress.

1 Like

Needs ‘fingers crossed’ emoji

2 Likes