Arnold Schwarzenegger to white supremacists: your heroes are losers

Well, it boils down to this:

Superman couldn’t become president.

Lex Luthor could.

7 Likes

I would very much like to hear why you feel it would be “valuable” to legally prevent a person who, hypothetically, came to the US as a small child, spent their life in service to their adopted country, and didn’t have any real connection to any country other than the US from ever seeking that office.

Codifying it in law is absolutely harmful, and not just to serious adult would-be candidates. There’s real value in instilling the notion in children that anyone can become president if they have the talent and work hard enough to achieve it, and telling some kids that that’s not an option no matter what they do needlessly creates the notion that they can never really be a true and full citizen like their peers. I honestly can’t see any value at all in preventing otherwise qualified candidates from running just because they might have spent their first 6 months of life living in a country they may not even have any memory of, so I’m asking you to explain it to me.

2 Likes

Latvia is not even near Latveria, though. Latveria’s closer to Syldavia and Borduria.

5 Likes

Yep. Long before he was Commando, or the Terminator, or the Governator, Arnie was a successful body builder, winning the Mr. Olympia title twice in the 70’s.

3 Likes

The picture is real. It’s the muscles that are fake.

Having lived in California the last 50+ years, I don’t want Arnold as president. I don’t hate him or anything, and sometimes he says good stuff, but I suspect he only looks good in comparison to Trump. He wasn’t that great a governor-not that anyone could have accomplished anything with our crazy Legislature. But, yeah, it’s a good speech.

3 Likes

I have a problem with one angle in this video, namely that he seems to think that the fact that they are “losers” and their heroes were losers and their ideology lost has any bearing on it being wrong. It’s a utilitarian argument that allows the possibility that if they had won, it would be ok, which it still wouldn’t be.

3 Likes

I don’t have any problem with opening up the presidency to people with established citizenship. I do believe, however, that some experience in government, at least at the State level, is a reasonable requirement. If you’re going to “run government like a business,” relevant experience on your resume is a basic way to begin. Selecting a candidate wholly on the basis of media recognition is how you end up following our first Black president with our first nazi president. That’s no way to run a business or a government and the results are plain to see.

1 Like

That’s not a very high bar to exceed.

3 Likes

Exactly the thought that had occurred to me upon reading the posts here praising him.

3 Likes

I took a shit this morning that’s more qualified than Trump.

5 Likes

No comment re the “decent” part, but for a time the GOP seriously looked at ditching that troublesome little tidbit in the US Constitution about only natural-born US citizens being allowed to run for P and VP, and that to get Arnie into the WH. Just that GOP looksee gave me pause as far as Arnie and how he would have served. (PS: As gov here in CA, he was not effective.)

1 Like

I wonder what I would hear over the phone then during one of your fecal 'candidate’s robo-calls.

1 Like

More financial acumen too, I’d wager…

1 Like

Schwarzenegger on white supremacists in America: “It’s a toomah”

Gotta say, I like how he co-opted some of Trump’s favorite phrases (e.g., “losers”) and trolled him with the bobble head doll.

5 Likes

Still… even if you plan to vote for Democrat X in 2020, wouldn’t you feel a whole lot better knowing that if they don’t win, you’ll merely get Schwarzenegger?

(based on my theory that 2020 is the only time this could happen)

I interpreted that as Arnold trolling Trump using Trump’s own language.

But I agree, that perspective may not be abundantly clear and there are some (as evidenced by the sudden emergence of hateful shitheels from beneath whatever bridge they’d previously been hiding) who would somehow misunderstand that the nazi ideology isn’t morally wrong, had that side only won the second world war. He did, however, explicitly state that there’s no place in America for such hatred and likened it to a toomah that should be removed.

Well, sure. But you could say that about a lot of people other than Arnold.

Great video. I’m sure giving Donald a poke in the eye was just icing on the cake for Arnold! I just wish he wasn’t a Republican!