As anti-semitism rises, white supremacists hang "Kanye is right about the Jews" banner in Los Angeles

If you give a COVID denier, an election denier, a convoy supporter … give any of them 10 minutes to pitch their case, eventually it will involve Jews in some capacity.

When I was growing up, a public figure making an anti-Semitic remark was pretty much the end of their career, the people just didn’t put up with that shit.

My how times have changed. A major athletic company (with historical Nazi ties) is on the fence about continued partnership, the ex-wife isn’t making bones about custody, and Ye keeps getting red-carpet treatment because … why? he wrote songs and signed off on shoe designs ?

Fk that.guy and all his delusional supporters. We all know what happens when this sort of talk goes unchallenged. I don’t care what ills he suffers from, no one should go there.

16 Likes

No kidding. The new premier of Alberta has had to apologize three times (before even being sworn in) already for using talking points from and linking to antisemite websites. But she’s still premier. I don’t understand how this is okay.

18 Likes

probably because there’s no need to publicize a website

2 Likes

As long as she’s treated as just another mainstream (small-c, large-C) conservative politician by the corporate media (and the CBC) and by the federal and Alberta opposition, she’ll be allowed to keep apologising these things away. In Canada, along with the U.S. and UK, a politician affiliated with a major political party is given all sorts of institutional cover from being called what she is: a right-wing extremist.

I wish I knew how to stop this. The best we seem to be getting is the names of white supremacist Web sites blurred out or (based on my Googling of what you’re discussing) being withheld. That’s not good enough.

9 Likes

Yes, although CBC is coming down on her pretty hard. Unfortunately that backfires a bit and now Convoyers and the like think CBC is corrupt, further deepening the rift between reality and their alternate version. My dad has fallen down that rabbit hole and has gone on at length about how the CBC is Trudeau’s puppet and nothing they say is real. All based on “information” he gets from Facebook memes shared in trucker convoy groups.

So it seems like the media can’t win here- be soft and let them slide, or tell it like it is and lose the people they most need to reach. Given those choices though, I think coming down on the side of reality and truth is all they can do. I think CBC mostly does that, though as you say there is still a lot of lingering “both sides are equal” legacy from when politics was more sane.

7 Likes

Here’s my attempt at blurring out a supremist site.

3 Likes

Seeing that picture of them all lined up on the overpass just makes me want to see someone re-enact this scene from the “Blues Brothers”.

fe771u|nullxnull

17 Likes

I was curious to know what the Bible verses referenced on their banner were.

One of them, John 8:44, is straightforward enough: “You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out his desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, refusing to uphold the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, because he is a liar and the father of lies.” I suppose that the Nazis assume that he is addressing all Jews, rather than simply the religious leaders who are planning to execute him.

The other, Revelations 3:9, says: “Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie;” In this one, Jesus’s beef is very clearly not with Jews, but with people who pretend to be Jews but aren’t.

If they’re looking for Biblical authority that says that Jews Are Bad, and these two verses are the best they can do, well, that’s a swing and a miss.

I’d be curious to know if these are the preferred verses usually used by Christian anti-Semites to try to find Biblical authority for their hatred of the Jews. Because it seems pretty obvious that neither one comes close to saying what they’d like them to say.

11 Likes

14 Likes

And male supremacy… even longer.

4 Likes

8 Likes

This is a bridge too far, right.

1 Like

im not sure it matters. they could use a totally innocuous passage about jesus going to the corner store for a fizzy soda, and turn it into some parable reflecting their hatred for jewish people.

the point is always to wrap hatred in the guise of religion, it really doesn’t matter what bits they choose. you might as well try to convince a flat earther about the globe. they’re not interested in a scientific conversation or one about religion

( actually, i amend that. they’re interested in using conversation to radicalize you. they’re not interested in changing themselves based on facts )

9 Likes

A person putting an index to a Bible verse on their sign/hat/truck is pretty much a guarantee that they have misunderstood that verse, in my experience. The theological scholarship level of those most passionate about the Bible is embarrassingly poor. It’s like a Christian Dunning-Kruger effect.

13 Likes

I’m not entirely convinced that’s true everywhere. Where I grew up, fliers like these were handed out by school officials all the time.

1 Like

I mean, it is a book where almost every major character is Jewish…and the exceptions are people like unnamed Pharoah, Nebuchadnezzar, and Pilate. It would be an odd place to go looking for that.

7 Likes
5 Likes

It’d be even more effective given that they’d have to jump off into traffic and not the water.

Well, wouldn’t that be a crying shame?

1 Like

The shorter term for these people is “Nazis”.

6 Likes