As Florida reports all-time high for Covid-19 deaths, Gov. Ron DeSantis says threat is overblown

“Essential employees” has come to mean, in essence, those we can see die and not worry about too much. As one of them, I am not amused.

19 Likes

…and can get tested whenever you like, with rapid, accurate results.

8 Likes

bonus points for #DeathSantis tag

imagine how well this guy sleeps at night with the raging wildfire of suffering and death around him

takes a special kind of sociopath and somehow they always rise to the top right in plain sight, I’ll never figure it out

5 Likes

My parents did and I could not understand why two such highly educated individuals would want to step foot in that intellectual wasteland.

3 Likes

:laughing:

Although I’d say that he’s dialed down the attention-whoring from when he was Lt. Gov.

7 Likes

He’s also made progress on the “keeping personal scandals out of the public eye” front in the last few years. When he was mayor of San Francisco he infamously brought a 20-year-old date to a gala event where she was photographed drinking wine (legal age for alcohol in the U.S. is 21).

I fully expect all that stuff to get dredged up again when he inevitably runs for POTUS, but maybe it won’t seem so bad considering how low Trump has set the bar.

8 Likes

Doug Ford isn’t even competent, but at least he still seems to have a jellybean of humanity left.

8 Likes

w00t!
just got the news that trumpie’s lil GOP convention thingy in Jacksonville is OFF!
Take that DeSantis!
This is freakin’ rich!.
ETA: WPLG Miami reports tRump called it off for being “unsafe”. Ha!

14 Likes

And in both cases we have problems with lots of Nazis…

2 Likes

Turnip’s got to have a bus with monster truck tires, otherwise it would never survive the number of people he’s thrown under it.

11 Likes

Trump just spontaneously cancelled the republican convention in Florida without telling GOP first, apparently self-preservation is alive and well in psychopaths

but force open all those schools, kill all the teachers and bus drivers as they are probably left leaning and not trump voters

6 Likes

Honestly, I am thinking most of the country shouldn’t have even bothered closing until after Memorial Day (except the NY tri-state and Northwest). It accomplished exactly nothing except convincing the know-nothings that it was a hoax and NBD. Of course, the areas that were hardest hit would have been left to suffer alone, but there wasn’t a whole lot of aid coming their way, either.

1 Like

Pretty sure you can say that about every NR editorial…

What’s infuriating is how glib they are. They remind me a lot of the English Tories under Johnson in that off-putting smarminess over perceived wins that are, at best, temporary; the failed strategy of locking down nursing homes and keeping everything else open is certainly the same and has had the same outcome. (Even if Johnson pretended to do a u turn on that)

Hey! That’s a great jacket. It’s not the tailor’s fault that it was bought by the mayor.

Paul F. Tompkins had one made for personal use. I wish I had one as well.

4 Likes

Yeah, something about the picture struck me as off. I mean, he looks like someone who’d play a sheriff in something like Mississippi Burning, and people don’t normally have such oddly contracted pupils when they’re not pumped full of heroin, so perhaps he’s just peculiar-looking overall.

1 Like

So $38 mm in North Carolina… what’s the Florida tab going to amount to?

I know it’s magical accounting, but I just can’t help but think of all the people that money could have helped.

charlie-brown-sigh|nullxnull

5 Likes

If you thought that there might be somebody even more clueless and ignorant than Trump or Gump, my governor makes Trump and Gump look like stable geniuses. The only silver lining is that most of the dying are elderly, diehard-kneejerk Republicans who will not be re-electing him. Ironically, DeSantis harbors a fantasy of replacing Pence on the 2020 ticket. :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh, but these aren’t just any old lips . . .

7 Likes

Move over, elephant. That’s the new GOP mascot!

4 Likes

Dude looks in waaaaaaay over his head.

Can you imagine the response if some foreign enemy just up and wiped out an entire (small) town?

We’d freak and start wars over it.

But when it’s a virus…

4 Likes