At least 10 dead in "racially motivated" Buffalo supermarket shooting

I feel no need to distinguish them. It’s all part of the same right wing terrorism supporting continuum

8 Likes

How about not publishing a murderers plan mere hours later?

13 Likes

Fox is pushing “replacement theory” quite independently of 4/8chan, and half of Republican voters - and a good number of Republican politicians - have bought into it as a result. The 'chans could go away completely and the Murdochs will keep perpetuating and mainstreaming the lie - and the killings. (This is at least the third mass shooting in the US inspired by “replacement theory” already. Not counting e.g. those in Norway and New Zealand that also were.) Worse, this is all very new for Fox/the Republicans, and as it becomes an institutional part of the Republican party, we’ll not just see a huge uptick in shootings, they’ll seek institutional solutions, e.g. concentration camps. Trump’s extreme dehumanization of people in ICE facilities was just a warm-up for what’s coming down the line, thanks to Fox.

17 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

People are really underestimating just how much Fox news is at the fore-front of mainstreaming these ideas among their viewership. That gives things like the replacement theory more credibility and as a result, greater reach. The guy might have name-checking other places as his primary influence, but Fox is providing cover for places like the 'chans. Fox has gone all in on supporting such ideologies and making it “respectable”… meaning that there are people who will very much excuse what this man did.

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

22 Likes

Go back even earlier when he shrugged off David Duke’s endorsement.

If you want to shrug it off as being completely disconnected, that’s on you but it’s just not accurate.

Right wing media rage machine makes people angry because it’s good for ratings, politicians parrot these talking points, which feeds the right wing media rage machine. Hate and anger sells.

Forums like 4chan/8kun/others that I won’t name here promote themselves as “anything goes” communities that attract all manner of edgelords trying to outdo one another by posting the most extreme content they can to gain Internet Points and for the lulz.

There’s not a lot of seeming overlap between Fox News and its ilk that are primarily older people versus the forums that skew younger but where do you think the younger demographic gets these ideas to start with? They generally don’t just form organically, they are learned. They learn them from their friends, family, neighbors. Where do they get these ideas from? Right wing media, of course.

Many of the most extreme positions today originated from these fringe forums and social media sites and worked their way into the mainstream right wing media and social media sites, which then further feeds the extremism across the board. (Of course many of these extreme positions are simply updated spins on the centuries/millennia-old racist tropes about the usual suspects.)

It’s a circle jerk of circle jerks. A perpetual motion machine powered by hate and disinformation. An ouroboros of shit.

22 Likes

Yeah exactly, they might get it from 'chan, but then they know it’s “real” because Fox and politicians are also talking about it. (And then it’s also a matter of time before those brainwashed only by Fox start doing things that are even worse.)

15 Likes

Same same. A Canadian flag on a truck or hanging from an apartment balcony is almost certainly someone I would not be friends with. It’s weird how reliable an indicator that is.

24 Likes
30 Likes

Speak Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The plan that people like David Duke and Don Black and David Lane laid out in the 90s have bourne fruit for them. This was not an accident, but a plan to take over a major political party and create the kind of country that they wanted - a white supremacists one. And they manage to get the white Evangelical Christian right to align with them, too. People have been warning people about this for years, and people refused to take it seriously.

And here we are. :woman_shrugging:

24 Likes

For some scoundrels, patriotism is the first refuge.

19 Likes

I naively went into the twitter thread of the local news tweet this morning… boy did I regret that after about 2 minutes. Jeez!!!

5 Likes

After the Anti-Defamation League renewed its call for Tucker Carlson to be fired from Fox News for voicing the racist “great replacement” theory about immigration, the primetime host had a pithy response: “Fuck them.”

25 Likes

More bad news on top of everything else for that neighborhood

23 Likes

Here in Canada we had the Flu Trux Klan ‘trucker’ convoy that was festooned with Canadian flags. It is horrible that they have tried to co-opt our flag for their stupid agenda.

11 Likes

I hate that so very much. I flatly reject the idea that our flag can be co-opted by those assholes.

11 Likes

I don’t think that News Corp is that independent of anything.

20 Likes

39 Likes

Likewise. I hate it so very much as well, because I’m very fond of our flag. I think it’s lovely. Sadly, putting it on stuff probably sends a signal to people that I may not want to send right now. :confused:

14 Likes

'“very fine ppl - on both sides.”

Makes me fume, too,
boziggroepje

8 Likes

It’s not quite independent.

Though Tucker has LONG standing, pre-Fox interest in all things White Supremacy.

But there’s a well documented pathway starting with 8chan that ports crazy balls from social media into the mainstream media. Tends to be the Chans and Stormfront, to Facebook, Reddit and the like. Then up to Brietbart/Daily Stormer. Where Fox/Newscorp and what have mine stories from.

This is where them Russian actors were traced to around the 2016 election. Injecting things on the hard nutjob discussion boards and juking them with bots at each step.

Infowars and Joe Rogan have been fingered as the key jump point from fringe to main stream. People are doing thier PhDs on this shit at this point it’s so well established.

These things aren’t separate.

10 Likes