At least 10 dead in "racially motivated" Buffalo supermarket shooting

So to refer to the shooter’s document as a “manifesto”, in my opinion, implicitly takes the twisted racist and anti-Semitic rantings that comprise it, far more seriously than they deserve to be taken and gives it a level of credibility that furthers the shooter’s aims.

20 Likes

I would have said that it’s not a manifesto, it’s a “manifesto”.

It’s a warped reflection and refraction of what a manifesto is, where everything is reversed and everything’s in the wrong shape and proportion. And it’s written in the internet equivalent of green crayon.

But this isn’t the first time there’s been one of these: the dickhead in Christchurch, the dickhead in Utøya, the dickhead incel in Isla Vista, they all had one of these "manifesto"s. Maybe we just need a new name for these "manifesto"s. “Hundreds of pages of deranged ranting conspiracy theory and hate speech” isn’t really snappy enough for everyday use.

And the tragedy is that we increasingly need a snappy term for these things for everyday use.

14 Likes

This asshole

19 Likes

Fox “News”

Shut The Fuck Up GIF

Please.

18 Likes

Journalists and reporters must repeatedly hound Republican officials with follow up questions about this national security threat. Recall that Democrats and President Joe Biden still are asked about “defunding the police,” even though it is not a mainstream DNC position, or about critical race theory (CRT) panic even after it was revealed to be a bad-faith trojan horse created by right-wing activists to incite racial panic and anxiety.

Leading up to the election, any journalist worth their weight must doggedly ask every Republican elected official the following questions:

• “Do you believe in the replacement theory?”

• “Do you condemn the replacement theory, or do you support the ideology that has inspired numerous mass terrorists?”

• “If you do condemn it, then why are you and your colleagues repeating it?”

29 Likes

It was, certainly, terrorism within any common usage form of the word. But LE in the USA only apply the word “terrorism” when it has foreign connection to a foreign group. The reason why plenty of domestic Islamic incidents get called “terrorism”, even if the perpetrator is a USA citizen, is they often have a link to designated Islamic terrorist groups outside the USA. It’s also why LE are using the term “domestic violent extremist” for this.

Now, in this case, his manifesto (which I haven’t read, and I won’t read) makes plenty of references to two foreign terrorists, one in Norway the other in NZ. That would be the connection prosecutors need to focus on to elevate this to terrorism charges. I’m certain that the FBI is pursuing this to find any possible connections to any foreign group in this case, and they may well find enough to go on that they can also call it terrorism and bring those charges as well.

For comparison, the FBI’s page on the Beltway Snipers, who killed 10 + 7 people in racially motivated attacks (including a manifesto saying it was racially motivated) also didn’t call it terrorism, because again, no foreign connection. They came close, saying the attacks “terrorized” the community, but stopped short of calling it “terrorism”. There really was no connection to a foreign group in that case, so it never was terrorism according to the legal definition, and they were never charged on terrorism related charges, and never had federal charges.

The term the DOJ is using these days is “domestic violent extremism”.

I’m sure they are looking for any way to bring federal charges, because that would let them throw this guy into the Supermax forever, or even give him a death sentence, but they might not find any way to do that.

Another case was the Unabomber, who is spending his entire life in the Supermax, but they had a federal nexus with him because he used the USPS to send bombs.

I expect there will be some effort to create a way to bring federal charges more easily in these kind of cases.

4 Likes

11 Likes

WTF is up with the bitcoin image…

Angry Cbs GIF by Wolf Entertainment

14 Likes

Alex Jones Presents: Alex Jones Knows Everything, by Alex Jones

19 Likes

Does “False Flag” mean they were crisis actors :confused:

14 Likes

Not necessarily the shooter might be a brain washed or goverment agent.

Tin Foil Sparkle GIF by WENS

9 Likes

5 Likes

Tucker has had staff writers fired for being posters to extremist sites, so it’s pretty much a circle.

8 Likes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gunman-targeted-black-neighborhood-shaped-151737389.html
(NYT reprint on yahoo)

The very existence of the Tops grocery store was a hard-won victory for East Siders. The neighborhood is a food desert, and residents had been campaigning for a store like Tops for more than a decade when it finally opened in 2003, according to The Buffalo News.

The dearth of options helped to make Tops a neighborhood establishment. Many families were shopping for their Sunday dinners there when the shooting began. The suspected gunman said in his manifesto that, in addition to targeting the area for its Black population, he had researched the days and times when Tops was busiest.

17 Likes

Will there? These shootings have been happening for decades in the US and nothing much has changed. They’re still all “lone wolves” and “promising young men from good families who lost their way”.

Law enforcement is on their side, by and large.

19 Likes

He specifically went to a store. If that store has any goods from out of state, invoke the interstate commerce clause. It works for everything else.

5 Likes

…and they’d thrown him out of there the day before his terrorist attack.

3 Likes

Jesus fucking Christ. This guy again.

He calls for people to fight against the people who want to “destroy America”, and when someone does that he’s like “False Flag!”

This guy has to be not paying his takes correctly, right? Can we jail him for that at least?

Not necessarily. It means the government did something, blaming it on someone else, so they have an excuse to do something else (go to war, crack down on something, etc.) A very recent example was Trump suggesting we attack Russians in Ukraine with Chinese flags on our planes. “No one would know!”

The term comes from ships flying the flag of a friendly country to get closer to and attack another ship. (I think that is where we get the phrase “true colors” as well, as you were supposed to raise your actual flag before attacking. But I digress.)

There is a white guy who he DIDN’T shoot and even said “Sorry” to. And some nuts on the internet think this is proof this was all planned by the government and some people were in on it. :confused:

It’s like getting a dog to look at itself in the mirror.

9 Likes

This heavily guilded comment on reddit explains how the shooter was radicalized by 4chan and how its being covered up.

(That’s the OP. The comment I mentioned is a reply to it.)

18 Likes

Yup. I’m heart broken but not surprised bring from Cortland County and long time resident of Buffalo. The racism was so disturbing that as a white person I left jobs and situations because it didn’t feel safe. I love it there and hate it so much sometimes but eventually moved to a a less segregated state. It figures the cops beat the shit out of the Buffalo Streaker but no scratch on the piece of shit who did this.

11 Likes