At least 11 killed in Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

To say this guy hates Trump is a stretch. His social media posts indicate that he thinks “the Jews are controlling Trump”. I’m inclined to think that his issue is that dolt45 isn’t full throated enough with his racism.

ETA that it shouldn’t surprise anyone if the MAGAtics will seize on the thinnest sliver of distinction to fend off charges of stochastic terrorism.

13 Likes

How can he be with all those rootless cosmopolitan (((advisors))) pushing their “alien” ideas on the Great Man?

12 Likes

I just saw Trump talking in CBSN. According to him, the victims are responsible for what happened because they did not have enough security, and he is the real victim because this happened while he is the president.

Anybody voting for this guy or for his Republican accomplices is also responsible for all the horrible stuff that is currently going on.

31 Likes

He won’t stop this. The GOP won’t stop this. Anyone the NRA has sunk their hooks into won’t stop this.

27 Likes

Until pretty recently (1/20/17 ?) one didn’t need security to practice Judaism in this country.

Trump’s really putting his weight behind that blaming the victim shtick, leavened with a heaping cupful of self pity for the way the victims have disrupted the Republican midterm momentum.

26 Likes
  1. Remove the GOP from power.
  2. Enact better gun laws.

We need this one-two punch desperately right now.

34 Likes

I have seen bitching and moaning that “he gave his daughter to a Jew.” Might be part of this.

12 Likes

Here’s what pisses me off the most about the anti-semitism that swirls around Trump and his admin.

He does next to nothing about it. He does nothing of any real substance to when it comes to condemning it. He does next to nothing to condemn those that say they’re superior to jews even though the same folks say they’re superior to people like his son-in-law Jared and Donald’s very own grandchild. What kind of spineless fuck would allow the alt reich assholes who say they want to kill all jews (that would also include his family members too) to run around in his immediate political circles?

18 Likes

I saw this on the BBC first, and I got through this paragraph:

Three police officers are among those wounded. Police have not yet said how many people were killed.
The man, who was injured in an exchange of gunfire with police, has now surrendered and is in custody.

before I said aloud, “Ah, he was white then!”
Though really, it was almost a foregone conclusion as soon as I heard he’d shot up a synagogue.

18 Likes

Yep. All it does in their eyes is sell more guns, and “hey, that’s a good thing!”

As for Trump, it’s yet one more great distraction from the Saudi Arabia thing, the NY Times expose of his financial background thing, etc.

16 Likes

I was looking to see if he recommended armed guards for a black church after a shooting. I suspect that there would be a difference there.

18 Likes

Not a-fucking-gain.

13 Likes

Though this pos went into this temple shouting antisemitic things, on Gab (“Nazi Twitter”) he said he was “going in” (these people who think they belong to the military in their mind) because the Hebrew International Aid Society supported immigrants.

So maybe give to HIAS today, and definitely vote in 10 days.

And right now can we just mention the economic immigrant who has had so much to do laying the groundwork for this kind of thing, in the UK and in the US? Ironically, Rupert Murdoch reaps millions off his fearmongering every day, and though i know he’s tapping into a vein already there, does he also bear some responsibility?

18 Likes

Oh, FFS…

14 Likes

I’m sure people will soon start with the “lone wolf” and “mentally unstable” excuses, all of which leads up to “it was a terrible thing, but what do you want us to do about it?”

Here’s what I want to be done about it.

I want a government whose leaders don’t retweet white supremacists.

I want a government and a news media that doesn’t provide a megaphone to racist and anti-semitic conspiracy theorists.

I want a government whose “Religious Freedom Council” spends more time making sure synagogues, mosques, and black churches don’t get shot up or burned down than they do making sure gay people can be refused service.

I want a government that treats sites that recruit for Neo-Nazis and the Klan like they would treat sites that recruit for ISIS or Al Qaeda.

I want social media empires that don’t give a megaphone to violent hate groups.

I want the media personalities who clutch their pearls and swoon when a Nazi gets punched to not blithely accept that there are Nazis walking around in the first place.

I want the government, the news media, and social media, to stop acting as if my right to exist were merely a matter of political opinion.

73 Likes

In general, I’m skeptical that the orgasm of evil currently convulsing Western countries can be blamed on just a few individuals. The accelerating trajectory of MAGA filth started long before Turmp and it would have erupted sooner or later without him.

But if I had to pick one individual that makes me question that belief, it would be Murdoch. If he had done the right thing 30 or 40 years ago, I suspect we really would be living in a much better world. And by “done the right thing” I mean “jumped into an industrial ham-slicing machine on its slowest setting”

31 Likes
25 Likes

File under duh… also when The Nation is calling your shit out like that you are doing something truly awful.

17 Likes

I’m sorry to report that it is not just you:

“The number of recorded anti-Semitic incidents in the U.S. rose by 57 percent in 2017, according to a new study from the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).”

This is from February, so it could very well have often worse since.

25 Likes

Only 1 like to give, needs many many more

10 Likes