At least 3 women were kicked out of a bar for confronting Harvey Weinstein

The story is about public opinion, and public scorn. That makes all your comments in this thread off-topic.

Save your legal arguments for when BoingBoing posts an article about his trial. But you should definitely bill him when the time comes!

22 Likes

… by the state.

We individuals are free to have any opinion about his guilt or innocence that we care. We can choose to believe the large number of women that have credibly accused him or to believe the guy who has admitted already quite bad things. And we are within our rights to share those opinions here.

20 Likes

Just to be clear, the Downtime Bar isn’t the same thing as the bar in a courtroom, but is rather a nightclub where ones buys drinks and watches stand-up comedy (preferably not in the company of a person famous for being accused of rape by multiple women).

19 Likes

Indeed, but the things she disagrees with Bush about are things like “what should the highest tax bracket be?,” not things like “ is it ok to start wars of aggression and murder hundreds of thousands of civilians?” Anyone who bothered to think about it knew she was pretty ok with that long before she was hanging out with GWB.

3 Likes

And just FYI, the presumption of innocence doesn’t mean “no suspicion of guilt” otherwise no one would ever be arrested.

It just means that a judicial procedure should be designed to allow for the possibility that a person is innocent. Even in a judicial setting, if there’s a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed, they detain or restrict accused people to prevent the possibility of further harm to other people.

Weinstein’s out on felony bail conditions, which means that how he acts and what he does in public is absolutely a matter of public concern and scrutiny, both generally and judicially.

24 Likes

The small heart seemed inadequate.

9 Likes

I agree with you, Weinstein is suspected of having raped multiple woman and therefore, public concern and scrutiny are warranted, no doubt.

But, as you say yourself, a judicial procedure should be designed to allow for the possibility that a person is innocent.

Shouting at him, calling him a rapist, is not “public concern and scrutiny”. And even though I can understand the emotional outburst of a person personally affected, I am appalled how quickly everybody else comes rushing to chime in.

What are you talking about? Women coming up who have chosen to believe the accusers and reacting accordingly has absolutely nothing to do with “judicial procedure”. While it may be surprising to some, actual guilt and responsibility for someone actions are not actually decided by a court, they are decided by whether or not someone actually did a thing.

If you are seriously saying that you disbelieve all of the accusers and therefore believe HW committed no acts of evil, then so be it, but expect to be challenged by others on why the statements of six women should be so easily discounted.

If, on the other hand, you believe that given the allegations that Hw did something evil, then “emotional outbursts” towards someone committing evil acts are, IMHO, not only appropriate, but welcome, and do not need corroboration from a court to be utilized.

The courts are the deciders of legal liability, they are most certainly not the final word on the commission of evil acts.

26 Likes

Harvey is about as photogenic as Steve Bannon.

Most of us wait until we are dead to begin decomposing.

5 Likes

You aren’t entitled to a trial every time someone criticizes you :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Well, I guess we know that bitches be lyin’… unlike rapists, who always tell the truth about who they rape…

12 Likes

First time I saw Harvey Weinstein, I thought, “He looks like the garbage man.”

2 Likes

Must feel lonely, all by yourself on your pedestal.

5 Likes

Who should be deciding then, whether or not somebody actually did a thing, in your opinion?

So, because you are strongly convinced a person committed the crime he is accused of, it is OK to fabricate false accusations against him? I hope you remember this, the next time you read about the police fabricating evidence.

In my opinion, the woman accusing Weinstein are credible. But still, I do not applaud publicly shouting “rapist” at somebody accused, but not convicted. And it is punishable behavior to do so, at least in the country I come from, and rightly so, I believe.

To form an angry mob is wrong, especially in cases where you personally are absolutely convinced that somebody is guilty.

Weinstein, credibly accused rapist, was being given a public forum, while he is in the middle of his trial.

You’re more worried about somebody being justifiably upset about this, than what happened in the first place.

You’re demanding civility in response to gross incivility combined with a credible physical danger to humans.

If Weinstein had walked in to the crowd waving a gun, would you be lecturing people about no trial had found him guilty of anything?

He shouldn’t have been there.

It’s like you’re policing how loudly people were yelling “Fire,” in response to someone thought to be the world’s worst arsonist walking into an art gallery, in the middle of their public trial for burning down art galleries.

13 Likes

Yes, indeed, I demand civility in response.

Yes it is.

He’s in the middle of a felony trial, and he’s putting himself in the same positions of trust that he’s being suspected of committing violent crimes in. Shouting at him to get him out of those situations is a very minimal restraint on his behavior. He’s on bail, and the usual recourse is to have him sequestered to avoid risk of physical harm to people.

The scandal isn’t that someone yelled at him to get out of a club, it’s that he was free to walk into a club when the accusations are credible. Your ears burning at the words used to effect public safety is the last consideration, not the first.

11 Likes

It is up to the court to decide if somebody accused is to be sequestered to avoid risk of physical harm to people. The court decided against that.

If the owner of the bar still does not want to have Weinstein there, fine with me, that would have been his right and the right decision.

But don’t try to make it look like Weinstein was in the act of raping somebody in the bar. He was not.