At least 33,000 people were stuck inside Shanghai Disneyland on Halloween after one person tested for Covid

Originally published at: At least 33,000 people were stuck inside Shanghai Disneyland on Halloween after one person tested for Covid | Boing Boing

3 Likes

4 Likes

I mean, I’d have thought forcing a lot of people into close proximity for an extended period of time because you thought one or more might have covid would not be a winning strategy for containing its spread…

9 Likes

FTFY Disney’s dumb decisions are all over the news lately…

6 Likes

What I’ve read elsewhere was that one person in Hangzhou city tested positive, and this person had visited the Shanghai park a day earlier. So pretty extreme measures.

4 Likes

I look at those images and compare them to reports of outbreaks in the US. They strike me less as extreme, and more that they’re taking this very seriously. Maybe if we saw more responses like this in the news here, more people would stop acting like the pandemic is over when we’re far from being out of the woods.

8 Likes

I’m actually impressed that they mobilized the resources so quickly. Getting the staff and supplies in place that quickly to test 33,000 people in a day means that they are well prepared and well organized. They must have had everything and everyone prepositioned.

1 Like

Fair, but I do wonder what their Covid endgame is going to look like. How long can they maintain a “zero covid” strategy when the entire rest of the world is beginning to treat it like an endemic disease that can be controlled and mitigated but not completely eradicated?

3 Likes

It seems a better solution might be testing each visitor before they enter the park.

Chabuduo? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I’m sure it’s difficult for leaders to set realistic expectations while dealing with large groups who are into denial, defiance, or experiencing “pandemic fatigue.” We managed to eradicate other diseases before members of those groups brought them back. I get the feeling that “new normal / we’ll just learn to live with it” messaging was a reaction to dealing with folks who want instant solutions while fostering mistrust in vaccines or treatments they believe were developed too quickly. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Despite the messages being sent to the public and how groups in many countries are treating this, I don’t believe all scientists have thrown in the towel on eradication.

2 Likes

I wonder if anyone was quarantined in situ on the It’s A Small World ride. Hellish thought…

I can confirm that definitely didn’t happen as the Shanghai park doesn’t have that particular ride. Although there is a “Frozen Sing-Along Celebration”…

Did you take that ride? If so, how was it?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.