At military parade, Trump celebrates rebels' occupation of airports during American Revolution

It’s a good thing they took the airports, or the American troops would have been destroyed by British Spitfires and Harriers, like they were in the attacks on Montreal and Quebec City.

23 Likes

While that’s true, Ocasio-Cortez made quite the point of comparing it to the cost of providing soap and toothbrushes for detained children.

37 Likes

Agreed fully. And that part is what makes me shake my head. Absolutely.

12 Likes

A good disinformation campaign has to be inaccurate on many levels, so that important lies are covered by more ostentatious ones.

24 Likes

I’m reminded of this scene from the movie Soapdish with trouble reading the teleprompter.

2 Likes

Or maybe the speech writer just doesn’t like Trump and this was his final message on the way out.

7 Likes

No No… He’s right… I’m 38… and have a great memory, better than most actually… and I do recall the horse-drawn airplanes…

25 Likes

Clearly, Trump was paying homage to the great orator Sarah Palin.

Trump, July 4, 2019:
Our army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory,

Palin, June 2, 2011:
[Revere] warned the British that they weren’t going to be taking away our arms, by ringing those bells and making sure as he was riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be secure and we were going to be free.

13 Likes

Happier times:

8 Likes

Our own mini-trump, bogbad the bad, met with that satan bannon recently. Very soon after he announced in an interview that his hobby was making model buses out of wine crates. Which has dominated the news since. None of the shit in the OP is unplanned. I’ts just smokescreen bullshit to keep us all talking about stuff that’s not important. And it’s working, isn’t it?

17 Likes

So perhaps he was just referring to the later war? … Wait, … I’m being told there were no aircraft then, either. As you were.

Go fuck yourself, San Diego.

7 Likes

I also wonder what kind of rockets he had in mind. In 18th century the best one could hope for were crude black powder rockets. And their use in western warfare was pretty rare - the “red glare” Congreve rocket hasn’t been invented until 1804, based on an mysorean rocket used in India to a great effect against the British …

Well, we had a suspicion that the current US president is a buffoon but now he has proved it beyond all doubt …

6 Likes

I’m finding myself focusing on his constant use of absolutes, either positive or negative. There’s never compromise with him. No acknowledgement of losses. To vary from an absolute is a weakness. He’s a fool.

It’s a drop in the bucket. He still wants to piss away billions for a wall that won’t work.

It’s in the anthem, “the rockets’ red glare”. I’m sure in his mind it has always been Apollo rockets.

• Trump also urged people present in the crowds to join up to the military and “make a truly great statement in life.” “And you should do it!” Trump added in one of the few clearly unscripted moments in the speech.

His hypocrisy is boundless. And I see this as a lead up to armed conflict somewhere. It always seems to happen when a draft dodging President urges people to join the military and serve the country. “Make a truly great statement in life,” indeed.

22 Likes

In psychology they call that “splitting”. Not using wikipedia as an authoritative source, but this quotation is not wrong:

People matching the diagnostic criteria for narcissistic personality disorder also use splitting as a central defense mechanism. Most often narcissists do this as an attempt to stabilize their sense of self positivity in order to preserve their self-esteem, by perceiving themselves as purely upright or admirable and others who do not conform to their will or values as purely wicked or contemptible.

22 Likes

People have become desensitized to it. It’s no longer noteworthy to say that Trump fudged facts during a speech because that is now expected.

1 Like

He’ll always think of a speech he gave using a teleprompter as a disaster not because the speech was bad, but because he’s functionally illiterate. So every sentence is strained and completely without cadence. His only choices when making a speech are: terrible teleprompter, completely fabricated whack job spontaneous, or in this case, contemporaneous, where he only uses the parts of the speech from the teleprompter for structure and adlibs all the details.

7 Likes

Village Idiot is gonna Village Idiot.

9 Likes

Not a factual error per se, but I thought Trump liked “people who weren’t captured” (F. S. Key was being held captive by the British while observing the battle)

10 Likes

Unidentified flying unicorns. Actually more closely related to pegasuses, but with glowing red rockets on their foreheads. Best known for pulling the horse drawn Aircraft One first used in the Revolutionary War.

Gah. That’s what I get for huffing boingboing.

13 Likes

Mock all you like, Americans, but if it hadn’t been for the heroic contributions of the Montgolfier brothers you’d all be drinking tea and playing cricket under a tyrannical monarchy today.

2 Likes