At rally, Trump fantasizes about beating up Biden, says he'll fire Fauci after election, again strands crowd

13 Likes

Here’s the thing, he can’t “Fire Fauci”. Fauci isn’t a Cabinet Secretary and isn’t in Trump’s chain of command. To get Fauci fired, he’d have to threaten/enact some sort of Saturday Night Massacre-inspired scenario.

I mean, I certainly wouldn’t put it past Trump to try this and what would he care about his political capital after the election win or lose, but it just doesn’t seem like a realistic scenario.

6 Likes

If Trump tried to beat up Biden, he’d keel over from a heart attack before he caught up with Joe.

4 Likes

Yeah, this part kills me. Aside from manufacturing stuff you point out, His trade war led to hugely reduced sales for farmers and lobsterers, too. Does nobody in that article remember the additional 5b in subsidies to farmers in the Midwest due to his ill-conceived trade war?
And when he was here recently (Maine) he claimed to have helped eliminate the tariffs placed unfairly on Maine lobster…which he was directly responsible for!
I just…:exploding_head:

6 Likes

To be fair, Biden made this remark in the 2016 cycle:

“The press always asks me, don’t I wish I was debating him? No, I wish we were in high school and I could take him behind the gym. That’s what I wish.”

Walks right up to the line of threatening assault without actually doing it. :fist_left:

1 Like

The latest Radiolab is about this very thing. They interview a bunch of Trump supporters in all different walks of life, and the themes in common were:

1. “I voted for him in 2016 because he was gonna shake things up and I always vote R”
  2. “He’s a monster and I’m really bummed he did all these terrible things and mismanaged COVID and everything else”
  3. “I’m voting for him again because [business guy or abortion or taxes]”

This combined with the “wanted the terror all along” voter that @Hanglyman describes goes a long way to explain why Trump’s base hasn’t budged from the 27% or whatever it is. White surpemecists and low information single-issue voters, basically.

12 Likes

The low-info single issue voters are also white supremacists, just not as outspoken. In a different century, they would be the ones having a picnic while they watched a lynching, rather than the ones committing the murder.

I also listen to Radiolab, but haven’t heard this episode yet. Maybe it’ll change my mind.

EDIT: It didn’t, at least not very much. Depersonalized white supremacy via willful ignorance and apathy is still white supremacy. Mostly I learned that not all Trump voters are screaming Neo-Nazis, some of them are soulless husks oblivious to everything going on around them. As for the non-voters that were featured, I had trouble hearing what they were saying over the sound of the wind whistling through the empty caverns between their ears.

5 Likes

Perhaps also “insufficiently bothered by white supremacy” is a subcategory there. There was a lot of that subtext in the answers people gave in the story. Acknowledging that it’s bad, sure, but ZOMG MY TAXES. A lot of privilege blindness, basically.

There was one perfect Leopards Eating Faces moment where a group of Iraqi immigrants who all voted for Trump were shocked, SHOCKED, when he started deporting them.

13 Likes

This is the killer in that latest Radiolab story too. People aren’t voting for actual Republicans- they’re voting for a 100 year old idea of Republicanism that is totally unrelated to what the GOP are actually doing. They think “low taxes and pro-small-business” is still in any way related to what they will do with power.

12 Likes

Despite your compelling post, i remain reasonably certain that the electoral college is composed of americans, rather than say citizens of sweden, palestine, or madagascar.

1 Like

That’s just white supremacy with extra self-justification.

6 Likes

Honestly, if all you want is fiscal responsibility and benefits for small businesses, they ought to vote democrat.

5 Likes

I’d like to think that thinking of people as morons is expressing a belief that one is above our sisters and brothers and taps into the hate that Trump espouses.

Morons is the nicest option.

There’s really only a few plausible reasons to vote for trump. I can even list them.

• Being too simple and easily fooled to see through trump’s lies and bullshit. (This is the nicest assumption.)
  • Enjoying seeing other people hurt. In fact demanding the perpetration of atrocities. Especially against poor people, immigrants, refugees, children, women, aick and injured people, soldiers, and people of color. (I’ve come to realise this is the core of trump’s base. If you voted for trump, this is probably you)
  • You are a multimillionaire, or multibillionaire voting in your best financial interest, because trump promised to deregulate all industry and cut taxes. (trump has turned out to be an amazing ROI if you’re already quite rich)

All the other explanations I’ve heard so far, all boil down to trying to cover up for one of these reasons.

If you vote for trump, that means you’re gonna either be stupid or otherwise evil, and it’s nice to assume people deep down aren’t actually evil.

14 Likes

I’m not so sure. In 2016 Republican voters had a choice between nominating either a raging fascist or any one of several establishment GOP candidates who made “low taxes and pro-small-business” centerpieces of their platforms.

They went with the raging fascist.

8 Likes

This is getting weird. You seriously thought that’s my point? If not, then why arey you insulting me this way?
My point is that Electoral College doesn’t represent the collective will of the citizens of US. It didn’t represent it when Black people and women couldn’t vote and won’t represent it until everyone’s vote counts equally, and even more so until large parts of society are not disenfranchised anymore.
The unjust system doesn’t represent will of the citizens, and nationality of electors doesn’t matter here.

8 Likes

OK… Watching Trump live and very much understand your position.

Many people mindlessly cheering without hearing or understanding!

Mob mentality flattens all participants to the lowest of low…

Can’t believed I was wanting tolerance… This is life or death shit!

For some people, it literally is life and death.

the scotus trump’s built is definitely going to rule on the constitutionality of aborting a non-viable pregnancy, or even a pregnancy that’d be fatal to the mother.

If trump wins, he may be able to appoint even more and worse scotus judges.

8 Likes

Oh, I didn’t say that lightly… This is more blood on Trump and his supporters hands. Even if you could knock back the Covid death toll by 5% by responsible governance that is still around 5000 people dead by the governments inaction and Trumps supporters willful ignorance.

I apologize, this is the wrong time for tolerance.

2 Likes

they’re not supposed to let you vote if you’re not a citizen

and they’re definitely not supposed to deport you if you are a citizen :confused:

3 Likes