Attack of the Tourons

Of course the watch itself is a symbol of mortality (in the sense of time ticking down to death). Quite a few of the objects in those pictures (watches, books, a flower) can be interpreted that way. As symbols of vanity in the original sense of the word, and in the modern sense.

7 Likes

See Jon Ossoff GIF by Election 2020

Goths love that…

3 Likes

The first album looks quite cool

11 Likes
3 Likes

“Quick! To the archives!”

6 Likes

Everyone’s a member.

7 Likes

Only Americans.

6 Likes

I guarantee that your locality has its own chapter.

3 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

Also… not cat…

6 Likes

The watch is lovely, but I was immediately reminded of the phrase “He who dies with the most toys, still dies”.

Then I searched online to try and find the originator of the phrase, and found a whole bunch of Bible studies shit referencing it :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The point still stands - and for me, it’s about the ultra consumerist gotta have it all mindset, which in my (ever so 'umble opinion) does nobody any good.

Then I was cheered up while in conversation with a brewer at a small South Korean brewery. He had just opined that the English drink a lot (to which I had to agree :beer:), then said “there is no such thing as strong beer, just weak men”.
He went on to tell a Johnny Walker whisky story that left me in no doubt that the Koreans can put it away in quantity too :tumbler_glass:.

3 Likes

Bit of an anachronism, but when in Rome…

Listening to WWV is both like listening to time itself being generated (especially since, occasionally, they’ll announce adding a second to UT1) and also slipping away forever, beep by beep…

3 Likes

Some kinds of tourons have their own subset moniker, like for people who invade forested areas for a couple-few weekends to see leaves turning color.

That one came up in a conversation today, but we couldn’tquite remembersuch a term. Anyone know of a term for such tourists that locals would use?

5 Likes

Leaf peepers?

7 Likes

Fall guys.

11 Likes

Leafers is a term I’ve heard up in New England

6 Likes

I call them “my dad and his friends”, usually with a tired tone :laughing:

Like, the montseny is there, and I know is beautiful… but must you go every year to do the same photos?

5 Likes

Doubles as a reference to Toronto Maple Leafs fans?

8 Likes

Go Leafs!

6 Likes

Leave, leaves!

Oh, wait…

1rwa-1543797805

5 Likes