Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

A mysterious political action committee once funded by conservative millionaire Robert Mercer promoted both the rally featuring President Donald Trump and the ensuing march on Capitol Hill that led to a deadly riot last week.

The PAC, called the Black Conservatives Fund, promotes itself as “committed to turning out the black vote and elect black conservatives at every level of government.” The PAC didn’t raise or spend any money in 2020, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics. It has shifted primarily to encourage its followers to attend pro-Trump rallies, and it’s not clear who runs the group.

On the plus side, I don’t think there were many black conservatives there.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Forgot I was promoted and could post in closed topics (my bad!), so carrying this forward from the previous “WATCH LIVE” thread…

If the FBI is approaching people, it’s usually because things have moved beyond “I’ll see you in Washington DC” and on to something a lot more credible…

“Prior to this event, the FBI obtained credible and actionable information about individuals who were planning on traveling to the protests who expressed a desire to engage in violence,” the senior FBI official said. “The FBI was able to discourage those individuals from traveling to D.C.”

Conspiracy is a legal concept that exists for a reason. Once again, these guys all got the kid gloves treatment.

11 Likes

It’s starting to get through Joe’s skull, at least.

I think it’s critically important that there be a real, serious focus on holding those folks who engaged in sedition and threatened people’s lives, defaced public property, caused great damage — that they be held accountable.

I’ll quibble with you about defacing property, because that means nothing in the long run compared to the actual damage they did to the nation, but yes, good job Joe. (I’ll even quibble my own quibble and say that the reasons for and targets of property destruction in protests by the left and the right are extremely different and deserve to be examined separately as opposed to being used as a gotcha for sedition apologists, but that’s a debate so nuanced that I don’t trust virtually anyone in the limelight right now to make it very well.)

And I think that’s a view that is held by the vast majority of Democrats

Yes.

and Republicans

No. Not even with the qualifier of

in the Congress.

21 Likes

Not can’t decide, aren’t deciding. It’s a qubit waiting for someone else to observe the consequences.

7 Likes

Meanwhile in AZ:

12 Likes

Finally! The career bureaucrats that work in the statehouse have been pushing to ban open carry there for years. It really sucks for state employees that their safety at work took this long to improve. Then again, it took the public schools in Michigan the time between Sandy Hook and sometime during the 19-20 school year to get all guns banned from school buildings.

18 Likes

Bears repeating- all this was known. People just wanted it ignored.

22 Likes
19 Likes

In the replies:

21 Likes

Stand back he’s gonna blow!

1y04

14 Likes

Good cops get fired, thus ACAB.

31 Likes

Can’t have spokespeople speaking truth. It’s downright unamerican these days.

16 Likes

Wow. Yup, honesty and recognition of facts in evidence are counter to the good of police ecerywhere!

8 Likes

I seriously can’t.

24 Likes

Media Matters previously noted that he appeared on a QAnon program on December 21 and compared his attempt to overturn the election to fighting against terrorists on Flight 93 and opposing the rise of Adolf Hitler.

Via Atrios

Juxtapose:

9 Likes

More fuel for Inside Job theorists.

20 Likes

It’s weird. Golf culture very much values honesty and honor. Golfers get props for calling themselves out on strokes that turned out not to be valid, even if it costs them a tournament.

The PGA should have tossed his golf-cheating ass long ago.

17 Likes

Yeah, well, there you go. And I guarantee you he isn’t the only celebrity or rich guy (Trump is only one of those) who gets that treatment.

And whatever the values of Golf culture, plenty of shitty big name golfers:

Also going to hand one out to another paragon of sportsmanship:

8 Likes

I will be very sad when he starves to death.

5 Likes