Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

Try everything at once, why not?

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/14th-amendment-trump-civil-war-section-three-impeachment

“Section Three was a relic until the other day,” Magliocca said. “People like Mitt Romney and Senator McConnell were the ones who first described what occurred as an insurrection. Maybe they didn’t realize that this is loaded language because it’s in the Constitution, but now we’re there.”

In actuality, Democrats have been talking about it since the frivolous law suits seeking to throw out state votes.

16 Likes

Amidst the wilding throng, a line of men moves up the Capitol building steps with discipline and seemingly distinct purpose.

They’re wearing combat helmets and tactical gear: body armour, black masks. Walking hand to shoulder of the person ahead, to avoid being separated, as captured on video.

Who are they? What was their intent when a mob ransacked the Capitol on Wednesday?

Good questions. I saw those and wondered which group they were.

19 Likes

Apparently identified as Oathkeepers, so probably military or LEO. Need to be individually identified and arrested.

20 Likes

It is the most interesting aspect of the case, since guilt vs. innocence is kind of open and shut!

4 Likes

But a level he won’t stoop to, apparently.

14 Likes

He did miss the opportunity to tell us whether his client would take the stand.

18 Likes

This is such a thing, like Hitler mincing about and his limp-wrist salutes: forget actual masculinity, how is Trump a poster boy for even fake masculinity?

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/twitter-reactions-gidley-fox-news-hemmer-trump-masculine

“Look, I wouldn’t say emasculated,” Gidley said. “I mean, the most masculine person ever I think to hold the White House is the president of the United States.”

Yet a huge number of people just eat it up. What is it they’re eating?

2 Likes

You know the answer to that question. Its just provenance that is open. Dog or bull?

6 Likes

Love this comedian’s in-character Twitter rants:

15 Likes

If they beat a Trump-supporting white cop to death imagine what they’d be likely to do to a Black man.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Liebengood

The author who is writing the script for this timeline needs to work on their names. Between “Goodman” and “Liebengood” they are really phoning it in.

8 Likes

It’s almost as if they’re looking for Mr. Goodbar.

5 Likes

Or waiting for Goodot.

9 Likes

At least they didn’t call him Jerry.

It reminds me of the guy who complained that the History Channel’s original series World War II was completely unrealistic.

Original post has gone offline, but the Internet Archive had a copy.

Let’s start with the bad guys. Battalions of stormtroopers dressed in all black, check. Secret police, check. Determination to brutally kill everyone who doesn’t look like them, check. Leader with a tiny villain mustache and a tendency to go into apopleptic rage when he doesn’t get his way, check. All this from a country that was ordinary, believable, and dare I say it sometimes even sympathetic in previous seasons.

I’m not even going to get into the whole subplot about breaking a secret code (cleverly named “Enigma”, because the writers couldn’t spend more than two seconds thinking up a name for an enigmatic code), the giant superintelligent computer called Colossus (despite this being years before the transistor was even invented), the Soviet strongman whose name means “Man of Steel” in Russian (seriously, between calling the strongman “Man of Steel” and the Frenchman “de Gaulle”, whoever came up with the names for this thing ought to be shot).

10 Likes

If they were military, they probably imagined that they were following Trump’s orders. When they wait for the Denier-in-Chief to confirm that, they’ll truly know sacrifice.

5 Likes
13 Likes

The narrative they seem to be settling on is that a few peaceful patriots walked into the capitol and some antifa provocateurs among them did all the damage and the killing while the patriots heroically tried to stop them.

7 Likes

A few choice excerpts liberated from google cache.

Hiding from the rioters in a secret location away from the Capitol, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) appealed to Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser. Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) phoned Ivanka Trump, the president’s daughter.
And Kellyanne Conway, a longtime Trump confidante and former White House senior adviser, called an aide who she knew was standing at the president’s side.
But as senators and House members trapped inside the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday begged for immediate help during the siege, they struggled to get through to the president, who — safely ensconced in the West Wing — was too busy watching fiery TV images of the crisis unfolding around them to act or even bother to hear their pleas.
“He was hard to reach, and you know why? Because it was live TV,” said one close Trump adviser. “If it’s TiVo, he just hits pause and takes the calls. If it’s live TV, he watches it, and he was just watching it all unfold.”

Even as his supporters at the Capitol chanted for Pence to be hanged, Trump never called the vice president to check on him or his family. Marc Short, Pence’s chief of staff, eventually called the White House to let them know that Pence and his team were okay, after receiving no outreach from the president or anyone else in the White House.

The following evening, on Thursday, Trump released another video, the closest advisers say he is likely to come to a concession speech.
“Congress has certified the results: A new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th,” Trump said in the video. “My focus now turns to ensuring a smooth, orderly, and seamless transition of power. This moment calls for healing and reconciliation.”
His calls for healing and reconciliation were more than a day too late, many aides said. Yet as Trump watched the media coverage of his video, he grew angry.
The president said he wished he hadn’t done it, a senior White House official said, because he feared that the calming words made him look weak.

13 Likes