Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

“And do you, you know, suspect anyone in particular?”

14 Likes
10 Likes
13 Likes

All over international news. Given the coup attempt I suppose.
ETA
Implication of what I’m reading is they were shot at checkpoint?

8 Likes

CNN is now reporting that the officers were rammed by the suspect’s car.

8 Likes

Shots fired at US Capitol barricade, suspect in custody - ABC News (go.com)

ABC’s take on it. Yeah, sounds like they were rammed by the vehicle.

After reports that someone hit two U.S. Capitol Police officers with a car, Capitol Police opened fire at the north barricade of the Capitol complex, law enforcement sources tell ABC News.

Two officers are said to be injured, one critically, the sources said.

9 Likes

Homicide by car is so on message for American fascists. Actually all the modern ones.

10 Likes

17 Likes

If you are gonna wish, wish big. Add in Peace in the Middle East, Fusion Power and a sudden outbreak of global sanity. That would be nice.

16 Likes

We just started watching Jack Ryan. This is a funny juxtaposition. Also the easiest “unified timeline” ever…

3 Likes

Now updated: Suspect stabbed the officers and one is dead. Maybe they were hit and stabbed.

Very fluid story.

9 Likes

Love and sorrow to the officer’s family.

8 Likes
6 Likes

One of two injured U.S. Capitol Police officers is dead after a suspect rammed their car into the north barricade of the Capitol complex Friday afternoon, hitting two officers and exiting the vehicle with a weapon, Acting Chief Yogananda Pittman said at a press conference.

Police opened fire and the suspect is dead.

Yeah, very limited details, but the “suspect exited the vehicle with a weapon” pretty much answers the “was it intentional” question for me. Domestic terrorism again.

18 Likes

Thank you for doing this.
Am guessing you already know, but jic… don’t forget to cc:

• your congress critters and local reps
  • editors of newspapers
  • any applicable attorneys-general, Texas Rangers (they do corruption investigations FWIW AIAATM)
  • ACLU
  • League of Women Voters (chapters go by state or by city, depending)
  • Fair Fight

(see also
https://greatnonprofits.org/categories/view/voting-rights
)

8 Likes

This is like the Defense asking to see what the Prosecution has up its sleeves.

5 Likes

So no “hugging and kissing”? Just asking for a former president.

I’m not even sorry about my cynicism. I can’t grasp all of this. Speaking of timelines or nightmares just distances me from reality, but this doesn’t help any more.

ETA:

Must admit I read “weapon” as "gun’. Checked news. Saw it was a knife.

Still awful, but this is literally’ coming to . gunfight equipped with a knife.

4 Likes

What do you mean, terrorism, it was a white guy from Indiana? /s
ETA: Apparently he’s a member of the NOI, so unlikely to be connected to the Jan. 6 coup attempt

From NYT:

Investigators do not yet know the motive for the attack, but do not believe it was “terrorism related” at this time, Chief Robert Contee of the Washington Metropolitan Police Department told reporters.

What could the point of such an attack possibly be other than terror?

8 Likes

Oh I’m sure some solid (white male) authority figure will come along any minute now to tell us that he was just having a bad day.

9 Likes
14 Likes