Australia man mates a hamburger and a hotdog, creates HamDog fast food monstrosity

Also, why does any demonym not ending in “an” require a noun after it, although demonyms ending in “an” don’t? We can say someone’s a German or a Russian or an Argentinean, but “a French” sounds weird, “a Chinese” sounds racist, and “a Danish” sounds like pastry.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Are you saying “a Gall,” “an Australen,” “a Dac,” “a Russen,” “a Galat,” etc. would sound wrong? And is anyone aware of the proper enby endings?

1 Like

No, because those are words I don’t recognize, and if I do recognize them, I don’t use them. so I don’t care.

I was just wondering why “a Korean” is acceptable, but “a Japanese” sounds racist, and why both “a Korean man” and “a Japanese woman” are acceptable.

By the way, I found a few exceptions to my rule. Filipino/Filipina work without a noun on the end, as do Pakistani, Afghani, Uzbek, Qatari, Saudi, Israeli, Czech, Slovak, etc. Actually quite a few exceptions. The more I think about it, the more I think the problem is with “-ish”, and for good reason. In this context, “[place]-ish” means “of [place]”. So, “a Swedish” literally means “a ??? of Sweden”.

Am I correct? Did I just do Rubber Duck Linguistics again?

Well, I think we use -ish, -ic, -ese, etc. to derive adjectives. But isn’t the same true of -ian? and in some cases -an?

[German is an exception, because it’s derived from “Germani” and “Germania,” a Celtic-speaking people living in the Rhine valley, and the Rhine valley, respectively.]

It should be, but isn’t.

“-ese” also has the same problem that “-ish” has.

Maybe English is just weird, and developed language rules for reasons few remember and fewer care about.

2 Likes

The name for our language ends with the obscuring suffix under discussion. It’s Engl-ish.

I don’t much care for flavorful hot-dogs, but there is a Wagyu dog they sell in town that is cased in a cellulose based imitation of intestinal casing and it would be incredible on a hamburger. The texture of the beef in that dog is so fine it’s like a pate.

The bun is kind of an interesting story but adding protein to a burger is pretty pedestrian.

Any hotdog-related food that’s not sold outside a Bunnings or a polling booth is a national disgrace.

2 Likes

Our language is English. An English person is an English person. An English is either plain or toasted.

1 Like

But a full English is fried.

5 Likes

Hmm. Right you are.

No love for Area Man?

1 Like

“Florida man”

Florida is an adjective. I don’t speak Spanish, so I don’t know if Florido man would be more correct.

“Area man”

We already have a perfectly good English word, ge, for an area or locality. English yeoman derives from this. Gothic gauja comes from the same root but a different derivation. Yiddish goy sounds similar but apparently comes from a completely different root.

Cannibalism.

1 Like

Rules are traditionally eased for newspaper headlines, to maximize what they can convey in a very limited space. Often they’re not even sentences.

2 Likes

Amused and a bit wistful and sad on seeing this.

One of my college buddies was a podiatrist. Really kind of bottom rung; he ran threadbare practices in places with cheap rent and catered to Medicare and Medicaid customers. This meant dealing with lots of marginal and, well, crazy people.

R__ described a patient who got extremely excited by his unlikely innovations. “Think about it! Hot dog . . . hamburger . . . SAME BUN!” {Guy stands on examination table} “HOT DOG . . . HAMBURGER! SAME BUN!”

R___ died a month or so ago. Recently enough that I found myself thinking “Oh, man, I have to send this to R___!” when I saw this story.

Sigh

4 Likes

I’d eat it.

3 Likes

I like that there’s Americans horrified by this and going “Oh no, that’s too far, you can’t do that”. Motherfuckers, you invented spray cheese, sit down.

7 Likes

I didn’t invent spray cheese. I don’t even eat cheese.

2 Likes