Babies are born 'in the 9th month. It is wrong. It has to change,' says Donald Trump

Having to recover from ordinary birth/delivery is already arduous enough. Having to recover from an abdominal surgical incision as well is even worse, IMO.

Many women who give birth via C-sections tend to do so out of necessity… like my mom; I would have died without one, because the umbilical cord was wrapped around my throat in utero.

16 Likes

Nah… was just your vanity… /s

10 Likes

That sucks. And I can relate to some extent. Firstly is the lack of research into most of this, which you highlight there. I had a late baby, but that was coupled with high blood pressure which is a risk factor for the integrity of the placenta. But, two inductions didn’t do a thing, there was no dilation at all. So I got the caesarian and have so far never experienced labour.

But caesarians can have complications, and I got them! 10 days after birth I was back in surgery for an incisional hernia. Then five months later back in surgery for part of the wound that never closed. I had antibiotics in between for an infection at the site. They cut out a huge clump of scar tissue and partly dissolved stitches. But, multiple Drs told me that people can’t be allergic to stitches so they weren’t the problem. Then three more months of parts of the wound being open until they closed on their own (almost had another surgery at this point). And I was told by the registrar that I had a stitch granuloma. Sounds kind of like I had a reaction to the stitches, right? Which wouldn’t be surprising given I have asthma, eczema, and a nickel allergy. But, you know Dr is always right!

So now I’m 20 weeks pregnant with my second. I assume I’m more likely to have a caesarian than a nautral birth (Dr agrees), particularly if my blood pressures spikes as it did last time - and why wouldn’t it? The worst case would be more complications from stitches or a natural birth and needed repair for tears. I assume something is going to go wrong.

6 Likes

Plus caesarians can have complications as I just wrote copiously about in reply to another comment. Most don’t, but I had a shit load and it sucked.

5 Likes

MACBETH
Thou losest labor.
I bear a charmèd life, which must not yield
To one of woman born.

MACDUFF
Despair thy charm,
And let the angel whom thou still hast served
Tell thee, Macduff was from his mother’s womb
Untimely ripped.

8 Likes

The goal should always be to make labor and delivery as safe and comfortable as possible for mother and baby, right? You’re doing what you need to do in order to safely bring your children into the world and still be alive afterwards. Of course, no matter way, childbirth is a major risk for women. The fact that many women can now control their bodies enough to decide when they will have children and how they will have them has been the biggest advance for our collective health in history. The fact that so many people just can’t recognize that fact is incredibly sad to me…

Anyway, good luck with your labor and delivery.

16 Likes

Good luck with the new baby.

12 Likes

I mean, it IS a lot smaller than my open-heart surgery scar. :wink:

9 Likes

You’re right, child bearing and birth are rated as one of the most dangerous parts of a woman’s life, even in Western countries. Thank goodness for antibiotics and surgery and scans and that even with complications we can be fixed up and not have to deal with horrors of fistulas. And it’s really only been a small amount of time that these things have been possible, and hopefully antibiotic resistance doesn’t make childbirth less safe if my future daughter decides to have a child :slight_smile:

13 Likes

The doctor outright saying your Mrs the she needed to agree to induce rather than simple giving her the facts and letting the decision be objective really irks me.

7 Likes

That’s it! it’s the Burka for you!!! :wink:

Yes… c-sections have saved lives, actually. the modern health care system isn’t anywhere near perfect, and in some cases traditional folk ways are helpful to include… but there is plenty of evidence that such things have been a net win for us as a gender.

9 Likes

I’ve got a partially-used January here that I’ll happily swap for a March.

4 Likes

That is from last menstrual period. So subtract two weeks that one is not pregnant if one wants to be pedantic.

Too late, someone else already beat you to it; maybe next time, you’ll earn the coveted Pedant Pendant.

10 Likes

Yep I already information dumped. I learnt so much of it I have to release it somewhere. That place is the internet.

4 Likes

I’m not sure what you’re talking about; I wasn’t referencing your comments.

Funnily enough, that’s what Stormy said too.

1 Like

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16582127/
Maternal and paternal influences on length of pregnancy.
Lie RT, et al. Obstet Gynecol. 2006.
Show full citation
Abstract
OBJECTIVE: Biological evidence suggests that both mother and fetus are involved in triggering a normal delivery

1 Like

Sorry to hear you had all the complications :anguished:. We got off fairly light; the missus healed well, although we had to have some minor surgical repair to my son.

I am sending positive waves to your second child! ~’^’~-,..,-~’^’~-,..,-~’^’~

2 Likes

Thank you! Seven years too late for my purposes, but it’s nice to see someone’s doing the work!