Backlash grows over Dodgers disinviting Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence from Pride event

Well, I think what happened is they provided you with a reason you could swallow and believe, despite the fact the reality is they have welcomed this same group many times in the past and only this year, in the face of massive conservative backlash against the LGBTQ+ community in all its forms and with various right-wing shills screaming at them, did they back down and disinvite the group.

The sooner you realize that your idea of what is right and wrong is founded on the ethics of Christian nationalists, who don’t give a rats ass about ACTUAL right and wrong, only about flexing their power, the sooner you’ll wake up to the truth and maybe stop throwing your fellow humans under the bus for the sake of lies and platitudes about “the children.”

PS - Muslim drag is a thing already. Stop trying to invent reasons to be angry that some drag performers dress as nuns.

19 Likes

I’ll wait for the claim that there are no Catholics in West Yorkshire or London.

11 Likes

You’re allowed to be incorrect; it’s not against the TOS.

12 Likes

At their Pride event?
You know they weren’t invited to perform at a ballgame, right? They were going to be given an award at a Pride event… and have now been removed from the list of honorees. Yes, there’s a ballgame in the middle, but anyone buying tickets to that particular game knows what they’re going to.

I guess we should take solace that they didn’t cancel the entire event…yet. But instead I am scared that the fascist right are testing the waters and seeing how very easy it is to erase good people doing good work on the flimsiest of excuses, and how quickly others rush in to defend that behavior.

21 Likes

It makes little sense to not invite a group that has been invited in the past and is a well established, long running group.

I wish I knew what the right reaction is. Pulling out in solidarity makes sense - but that is exactly what the right wants. The Dodgers were trying to appease both sides by having the event, but just dis-inviting one group. A compromise. Perhaps if the protest is loud enough they will re-invite them?

1 Like

Donohue also had a mailing list of thousands of Catholics for whom he claimed to speak, a significant portion of whom didn’t have a voice because they were deceased.

The thing that always puzzled me about him was how he wasn’t more svelte, what with his marching up and down 6th Ave in midtown all day waiting for one of the cable networks to give him a guest spot.

Ah, the tangential “what if”, the poor relation to Whataboutism. Please.

If by “many people” you mean privilege-blind ones who are somehow aware of the RCC’s vast influence and wealth, I guess there are a lot of white cis-het Christian Americans like that.

Also, in regard to these three groups, self-identified religious affiliation in 2022 according to a Pew survey: Catholic – 21%; Jewish – 2% ; Muslim – 1%. It’s so very confusing to those “many people” to figure out which of those groups are more likely to find themselves subject to marginalisation and on-going bigotry in the U.S. these days.

Speaking of the utility of the ignorant and privilege-blind to those who make continually make excuses for fascists and bigots…

And identifying allies and enablers and followers. I recently re-read this Dorothy Thompson piece. Everything old is, unfortunately, new again.

16 Likes

Maybe pulling out and holding a similar (but better!) event elsewhere at the same time to still honor the community heroes but leave the Dodgers out of it. That feels right to me, kind of, you don’t want us, fine, we don’t need you.
But I don’t know how much of the revenue from the special jerseys goes to the Pride community and the work they’re doing, so I can see it might be a tough call for some of the organizers.
Sounds like the honorees are sticking together so far. I think they can do better than the Dodgers.

9 Likes

Season 2 Time GIF by American Gods

9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9 Likes

@Kii In case you didn’t know, one of the founders of the Sisters actually attended Catholic seminary but was not accepted because he was gay. That’s when he moved to San Francisco.

12 Likes

This song was recorded with the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence in England. I’m not sure of which city/house in particular.

8 Likes

Someone on the youtube comments who was in the choir says it was Canterbury. I would have guessed it was Manchester otherwise.

8 Likes

It’s where the phrase ‘silent majority’ originally comes from.

8 Likes

… and the favored rhetorical mechanism for pretending to provide a valuable service by answering questions nobody asked :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

If there’s anything Bill Donohue and the Catholic League want, it’s more pulling out.

3 Likes

I wonder why you think that is.

Trust me, if they’re Catholic, they “get” the humor of it. And they have to laugh not to cry.

Are you a Hispanic Catholic? Do you know many?

My guess is no to both questions.

Hmmm…

8 Likes

Using the email address provided in the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence Instragram post, I wrote to the Dodgers today. This was their reply:

"After much thoughtful feedback from our diverse communities, honest conversations within the Los Angeles Dodgers organization and generous discussions with the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, the Los Angeles Dodgers would like to offer our sincerest apologies to the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, members of the LGBTQ+ community and their friends and families.

We have asked the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence to take their place on the field at our 10th annual LGBTQ+ Pride Night on June 16th. We are pleased to share that they have agreed to receive the gratitude of our collective communities for the lifesaving work that they have done tirelessly for decades.

In the weeks ahead, we will continue to work with our LGBTQ+ partners to better educate ourselves, find ways to strengthen the ties that bind and use our platform to support all of our fans who make up the diversity of the Dodgers family. "

11 Likes

A decent start. But that’s all it is. They hatred they helped validate and encourage needs more action on their part.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.