Ban on Trump's #MuslimBan upheld by U.S. Appeals Court in unanimous ruling. Next stop, Supreme Court?

Next step: do not confirm Gorsuch, SCOTUS deadlocks at 4–4, lower court’s decision stands.

And as far as Gorsuch’s statements about believing in the value and necessity of an independent judiciary, that’s nice and all, but that’s supposed to be the floor. It’s the very least any judge should say.

No prizes for being against puppy-kicking.

11 Likes

Yep…

2 Likes

Right. Nothing I have heard has warranted new or revised measures. Its just using the “security” ploy - create a menace you have to crack down on and protect people from.

6 Likes

Trump is rarely in court…his lawyers on the other hand have a cot out back

10 Likes

That’s the most depressing part of the whole saga to me: that there are people who don’t know that those systems are already there, and are convinced that somehow folk are just strolling in to the US without a care in the world and that we need to do something about it, despite their almost certain personal first-hand knowledge that they can’t even take a bottle of water through airport security. It’s more than just cognitive dissonance, surely?

13 Likes

I’d love it if the Supreme Court simply declined to hear this case.

9 Likes

5 Likes

It’s too early to celebrate. The 9th is known to be an especially liberal appeals court, so their decision wasn’t much of a surprise. The Supreme Court will be another story. From what little analysis I’ve been able to find, there is a definite possibility that they could rule in his favor. I hope that doesn’t happen, but brace yourselves for it, anyway.

And even if they do uphold the 9th’s ruling, he’ll likely seek out a more defensible instrument by which to discriminate against Muslim immigrants.

Dementia seems to enhance the base personality of the person from what I have seen.

1 Like
22 Likes

Just to ensure the year’s maximally weird, the Juggalos are planning a march on Washington:

8 Likes

A million juggalos? That sounds a bit optimistic to me.

12 Likes

I genuinely hope it is, but if there’s one thing this last year has taught me, it’s that I really have no idea what the general population is actually like.

14 Likes

They get over 100K at the yearly concert I think.

1 Like

Just finished reading the full text of the ruling. It’s pretty great. 9th circuit dropping some truth bombs with their supporting precedent:

“'National defense’ cannot be deemed an end in itself, justifying any exercise of legislative power designed to promote such a goal. . . . It would indeed be ironic if, in the name of national defense, we would sanction the subversion of one of those liberties . . . which makes the defense of the Nation worthwhile.”

16 Likes

from COS; Alex Young writes:

"President Trump’s stance on the Juggalos is unclear (there’s a sentence I never thought I’d write). Emails to Trump’s press office went unreturned (yes, we really emailed Sean Spicer about it!). " lol

They have a nice poster for the event:

8 Likes

This plane of reality has become so damn bizarre… but they have just as much of a right to protest as anyone else, I guess.

The design is actually pretty decent…

13 Likes

boingboing: In declining to restore travel ban, 9th Cir. invokes “numerous statements by the President about his intent to implement a ‘Muslim ban’”

Donald says: http://www.barbneal.com/wp-content/uploads/hm20.mp3

1 Like

They’ll delay until TrumpGOP forces Gorsuch onto the court, then they’ll uphold the ban. Alito is drooling at the prospect.

2 Likes

There should be, like, Cheetos being crushed in that fist with bits falling out of it.

3 Likes