Barry's tea is pretty great

Ah yes, there’s the whole history of British tea advertising and monkeys, ‘You hum it son, I’ll play it’.

1 Like

Two cups of builders tea from Yorkshie tea bags with a heaped teaspoon of sugar. There’s no comfort like it.

1 Like

Don’t drink much tea, but Madura and Dilmah are both pretty good.

“Drink your own feckin’ tea.”

• Barry
4 Likes

I’m not quite that cool.

I was sad when they quit putting those in the boxes.

3 Likes

No. Looks intelligent.

2 Likes

this thread is dangerous for me. i’ll admit to having a tea buying problem.

4 Likes

If you’re here in the USA, you can often get it at your local Indian/British grocery. That’s where I get mine (loose, not bagged), and my kid delights in how my tea looks just like how her Monarch Butterfly larvae from last summer’s turds looked…

(and even that doesn’t ruin it!)

4 Likes

Dear Sir,

I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about the tea that you recommend on your programme. It is clearly not the most superior tea there is, as that would be Tetley Elaichi, with cardamom. And furthermore, the reference to tea bagging builders is greatly unappreciated.

Yours sincerely etc., Mrs B. J. Smegma of 13, The Crescent, Belmont.

10 Likes

Barry’s is the best. Lyons is second best.

Depends on where you are, but I can recommend most of the Earl Grey blends Tea Gschwendner is selling.

And thank you so much for asking about loose tea in this teabag thread. As far as I am concerned, tea wants to float freely. However, the existence of teabags can mostly be excused as a tool for a global (citizen) science project.

Oh, hell, yes. Mariage Frères is pretty good. If you like their blends, try the Wedding Tea. I used to keep some for special occasions like you did with their Earl Grey. However, I ran out, and it’s a long time since I had something to celebrate.

1 Like

Barry’s doesn’t have strings.

The only importer in the US that I know is these guys:

Thankfully, I am based in Europe and can order directly from them. Alas, but the money must first be earned.

Their tea house in the Marais, BTW, is mindboggling. I went once, for the experience of a colonial style teahouse, and the sandwiches.

2 Likes

Their sandwiches are just amazing, we went to the one in the Louvre while we were there.

1 Like

Tea does not cross the Irish sea so much, tips is grand, but I don’t like the blend as much as Barry’s, I remember the adds on “the channels” growing up, with the chimps and it was comical. But I didn’t even have a sip of it until I first lived in the U.K.

1 Like

Is not.

Ah, you got me rewatching the old flying circus series with that one! Just what I needed lately. Wish I could have a cuppa with it.

1 Like

Drinking a pot right now, loose leaf Gold Blend, though the Original Blend is nice too (it’s a bit stronger in flavour). It’s so much better than mainstream British teas, though Yorkshire isn’t bad. I usually bring it over from Ireland in large quantities when I come back to London, can get the teabags in the supermarket here, but the loose stuff is harder to find.