Bernie Sanders drops truths on the Senate floor about the Coronavirus Stimulus Package

I am generally not a grammar pedant and when ‘enormity’ is used to simply mean ‘enormous’, I don’t get upset. But I do appreciate it when it is used according to its traditional sense, i.e., an outrageously large evil, like you did. Thank you, @some_guy.

I admire the optimisim, but no.

Winning the nomination without the support of the party is an uphill battle from the start, and being so far behind in the delegate count and with many future primaries being in question due to virus concerns it is over.

2 Likes

The stimulus package passed unanimously in the Senate on Thursday morning.

This is the important part though. Bernie ended up voting for it (after some amendments). I think that might have been a mistake… We’re likely going to see even more concentration of mega-corporations as they use this opportunity to gobble up more and more small and medium companies who wont be helped by this stimulus… Probably buying up a ton of distressed reel estate while they’re at it.

3 Likes

With the number of men in their 70s who meet with a lot of people involved in the race who knows what will happen these days.

We may see Pence vs Gabbard after the virus shakes up the race.

2 Likes

I’ve had some really life-changing atrocious shit happen to me, but I never, never learned what it means to hate until I saw Donald Trump get elected and see what the modern Republican Party finds acceptable and moral.

Rage and fury are such childlike terms of description for it. It goes way beyond rage and fury.

I’ll use whatever you’ll call it for one purpose- motivating me to help others in need and destroying the Republican party in any legal way I can for the rest of my and any ancestors I have’s lives.

Also- I donated to Bernie last night at work- before I ever saw this. This man makes me proud to be an American when little else still does

11 Likes

Go, Bernie! Talk truth to power! The nation is listening & longing for real leadership. All the pundits who claim to know what will happen in the nomination never saw this virus coming. Anything can happen.

5 Likes

What are the poor gonna blow the $1K on? A car? It won’t even cover their rent.

But to me the aim of these payouts is to counteract the rage of the massive corporate payout. If you send $1200 to 175 million taxpayers (this is very optimistic ballpark, there are 240-something million but fewer will qualify), that’s $210 billion. Versus trillions to float corporations using corona as the excuse, true or not, for their need for it. Supposedly the payouts can’t go to CEO bonuses but we know they’ll find workarounds and there will be gaping loopholes (“oh this bonus? it came from other money we had”). Most of us on both sides of the aisle are still extremely resentful over the blank check that we paid in 2008. And this $1200 each isn’t a gift from our government. It’s like your banker giving you back some of the $$ you had deposited then wanting to be congratulated for it.

I’m wondering the impact this would have good or bad: To keep $$ flowing… say during the pandemic, anyone with a 401K with over say $100K invested can remove the lesser of X % (thinking 20% max) of the total then-current value or whatever is above $100K, tax free. Maybe $250K? $500K?

7 Likes

The “moral hazard” argument is so suck-tacular. They say “What if some nurse realizes that they can make more for 4 months on unemployment than on the job? Aren’t they going to just quit and coast for awhile?” And that tells you everything you need to know about them. First, I believe that most nurses are to a greater or lesser extent motivated by the desire to help people. Second, anyone with half a brain can tell that a few months from now just having a job is going to feel like a privilege. Responsible people aren’t going to quit now and decrease their chances at getting a job later. That goes for the grocery workers as well as for the nurses.

19 Likes

I agree with what you said above this. As for this, I feel like allowing people with a 401k that hasn’t already been torn to shit by the market to remove money tax free will once again benefit the wealthy and do fuck-all for the rest of us. In 2008 I had a 401k. By 2009, I didn’t. And I haven’t had one since.

Would it stimulate the economy? Maybe portions of it. But it wouldn’t help the common people.

I feel like there’s nothing they can do to prop up this house of cards because they aren’t willing to do what it’s clear they have to – add more to the base than they are to the top. But nope. Cards on top. As it was, so it will be, ever more.

8 Likes

Waste of a question. Joe Biden will get the nod, because the Democrap party leaders will lie cheat and steal to make sure he does. They want him because he’s one of their good old boy network. Sanders scares them. They think as President he’d actually do something that would hurt the wallets of their corporate puppet masters, and they’d rather see everyone in the country catch the damn virus than anything that would disturb the 1%rs.

5 Likes

Some of those who get corporate welfare, are the same that give political donations.
Some of those who get corporate welfare, are the same that give political donations.

Shilling in the name of!
Shilling in the name of!

9 Likes

Message aside (which is a good one, of course), I like seeing Bernie’s hair getting back to it’s wild child status!

5 Likes

Joe Biden will get the nod, because he’s getting the votes. Stop with the conspiracy theories, they only benefit the Republicans.

2 Likes

Give a Republican ten dollars and he’ll be grateful. Tell a Republican that you’re giving both him and a homeless person ten dollars and he will literally want to kill you.

10 Likes

I volunteer at a food bank. We know for a fact that a couple of people abuse it, but we let it happen. Why? Because if we prevent them, then we’ll have to stop some people who do really need the food. And it’s better to help as many as we can than to stop the small number of scammers.

Living in Texas, every legislative session I see good bills die because right-wingers get all upset someone who doesn’t deserve it might get something, so no one gets anything. If they ran the food bank I volunteer at, they would just shut it down.

The Republican Party is evil.

14 Likes

That’s right - it’s a payoff, not a real gesture of assistance. Throw a fiver to the panhandler, make him go away.

2 Likes

I liked your entire answer, thanks. and for the snippet here, yeah, that’s fair. Perhaps for people with a very fat 401k and closer to retirement. But even there, right now it’s been gutted and they’d lose much more than by keeping it in.

5 Likes

My local grocery store’s employees are my lifeline! Feel bad for them

3 Likes

Hey, cruelty doesn’t come for free…

1 Like

The lack of free healthcare and education is fundamental to maintaining the USA’s low wages, poor working conditions and huge military.

9 Likes