'Needless suffering and death' — Dr. Anthony Fauci to testify before Senate on White House coronavirus response

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/12/needless-suffering-and-death.html

5 Likes

Fauci is gonna get fired if he sticks to that thread (which I suspect he will.) I will be interested in seeing if Birx tries to spin it to Il Douche’s benefit or not.

28 Likes

Yeah, the clock has been ticking on this for a while now. This is Fauci’s last big attempt to shift the executive branch to actually promoting federal guidelines instead of pandering to Know-Nothings and corporate greedheads by invoking “states rahts”. He’s too dedicated to service to resign during a crisis, but he may use this opportunity to force Biff’s hand and get him to fire him.

Birx will definitely try to spin it, since it became clear very early on that she wasn’t humouring the orange clown but being a sycophant to him. The question is if Fauci will give her much to work with in what I expect will be very blunt testimony.

30 Likes

“Needless suffering and death” might be a good tagline for the GOP.

39 Likes

Any hype makes me nervous. Fauci seems like a Mueller type, professional, good at his job, but not going to do anyone else’s dirty work. If we want to get blood from the blood orange, we’re going to have to do it ourselves.

12 Likes

“It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!”

10 Likes

I cannot help but notice that the push to reopen pretty much immediately was temporally associated with the finding that this thing inordinately affects black and minority communities. Correlation does not prove causation, but given the racist history of these assholes, I could not help but think there is a bit of cause and effect going on.

29 Likes

40 Likes

kind of fucked up that i can’t watch the public hearing even online without paying for cable tv apparently…

edit: i was looking on cspan but it looks like maybe the guardian has a live stream.

6 Likes

How is it fact that Trump has testing of anyone that could be near him as a strategy to not get sick while then failing to offer that to the rest of the country ?

3 Likes

Prediction: Fauci will give the unvarnished truth, and some in congress will instead question his “agenda” and perhaps try to get him to blame China or Obama.

Cue up the “you can’t handle the truth” gifs.

6 Likes

That’s easy: when the number of testing kits is limited, you have to ration them, and it makes sense that anyone who gets near the President should be tested. It only seems like an unreasonable request because in this case, Trump is useless as a leader and has traditionally only been concerned with his own well being. Pretty sure every head of state is similarly placed in the order of who gets tests first.

2 Likes

One of the few silver linings from all these relentless right-wing attacks on Fauci is that this could possibly be the thing that finally puts Jacob Wohl in prison:

12 Likes

Wow O_O.

3 Likes

So… the WH banned him from testifying before Congress, but not the Senate?

2 Likes

According to WH “thinking”, the Senate is in their pocket so they’re safe. Not like that nasty House that impeached.

Any media coverage they will just spin as fake news.

7 Likes

The racism dovetails in with the Christian Right morality theory of disease, where God will protect the good people and punish the sinful. To them, the figures only justified their racism, and that the good people (them) would be spared.

(Christian Right is just a label. I don’t think of them as being particularly Christian.)

8 Likes

Yup, also seen here

10 Likes

This is a current headline in St. Louis, where I currently live

Decision to lift stay-at-home orders was not based on epidemiology, says city’s health board chair

So that is fun

5 Likes

Since COVID-19 hit first in the liberal coasts, inordinately affects black and minority communities, they’ve probably already filed this with AIDS: Nothing for “good, healthy people” to worry about.

7 Likes