Best way to deal with parking spot stealers

It’s hard to say. Often, these types of things are pulled from security cam footage, which is hard to export so people re-record it on their (not so steady-handed) phones. (ie look at the gif in this post).

That bright yellow jeep, that’s sitting right there (presumably) with its blinker on? In bright daylight? Kinda hard to miss.

Funny, they did the exact same wheelchair parking stunt where I live a few years ago. Guess a good idea doesn’t go to waste.

2 Likes

I get really annoyed when I am stuck behind a car waiting for another driver to pull out of a space when there are plenty of spaces available a 50’ walk away.

11 Likes

Also, it’s could be a security camera mounted on a light pole. They do tend to sway a bit in the breeze.

1 Like

My local CostCo is the WORST for this. I just go straight to the parking spaces way at the other end of the lot, don’t even bother trying for a close spot. I’d rather get parked and walk the extra 30 seconds, even when it’s -30 out in February, and save myself the 5 minutes of circling around the parking lot waiting for a close spot to open up (and it’s that little bit more frustrating since CostCo loads into the trunk tend to be huge, and take longer, so if you’re stuck behind somebody waiting you have to just go around them at the first opportunity.)

5 Likes

It looks like he lifted the rear end, so it’ll only be a problem if it was a front-wheel drive.

Incidentally, that pickup truck looks like it’s pretty jerkishly parked as well.

the movement is definitely not due to it being re-recorded by a phone camera, because the actual perspective of the scene is shifting around - watch the surface of the building’s rooftop. (i’m not saying that it wasn’t re-recorded on a phone, only that the phone isn’t what’s causing that movement).

i could buy that the cam is mounted on a light pole that is moving in the wind, but that’s an awful lot of up/down movement… maybe a very windy day? it’s fun playing at surveillance-footage forensics!

My favorite is the parking garage by the Hollywood Arclight. One floor has the entrance to a 24-hr Fitness gym, and cars endlessly circle the first couple of rows, looking for a close space, when there are dozens of visible empty spaces just a row or two further over. Not to mention an empty deck one floor up.

5 Likes

There’s also the situation when two cars are both waiting on someone else to back out of a spot. They both block the parked car, so the other person can’t grab the spot – meanwhile the person in the parked car can’t leave, so no one’s going anywhere. I’ve seen this happen (at a mall before Christmas) and decided if that happened to me, I’d just get out of the car, go back in and order a coffee.

Same response if anyone ever honks at me to hurry up with vacating a space.

4 Likes

Is it this one?

7 Likes

The thing I hate most about parking my compact car in a compact space is returning to my vehicle to see an SUV parked on either side of me. D:

2 Likes

Honking puts me right on the edge. I admit that there’s been a few times where I’ve been waiting a few seconds as someone backs out of a spot, I get honked at by the guy behind me, and I had enough. So I threw into reverse and just started creeping backwards at the guy. Very slowly, just creeping backwards. What’s he gonna do? Rear-end me? He’s gotta relinquish some power to me if he doesn’t want to get backed into.

I know it’s wrong, and I don’t do it anymore, but it was always so satisfying. “You wanna honk at me, and I have nowhere to go? Well then, I guess I’ll back up and force you to move, dickweed.”

2 Likes

Swaying is lateral. This camera moves up and down.

Yeah, that never works on me. Even if I were in an actual hurry to leave, somebody honks at me and suddenly I got all day.

Waiting for a specific occupied space to be vacated is one of the dumber, lamer, more passive-aggressive practices you can find in a parking lot, and I refuse to do it. I’d sooner park across the street.

4 Likes

That garage is so screwy. I could swear that it was carefully designed with a very specific traffic flow in mind, then a week after it opened they threw it all out and rerouted everything in a completely ass-backward manner with semipermanent traffic cones, unused gates, and a whole lotta wasted spaces.

Swaying in the plane of the direction of recording that subtends a small angle will look like movement up and down, especially with slow-scan digital cameras.

Regardless… where I’m from both of ‘em deserve a cuttin’, draggin’ and/or killin’.

1 Like

Yes, but pretty much all little cars like that are front-wheel drive.

…at the gymn.

Like this guy http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/08/florida-cop-smashes-disabled-vets-cell-phone-for-legally-parking-in-handicap-space/

2 Likes