Best way to deal with parking spot stealers

I honk, but never at people parking. What would that even do? Besides, farther out spots are better, less likely to get dinged by an adjacent door.

My, uh, well lets just not name her^c^c^c whoever it is, actively tailgates and flips people off. But is offended when I honk at someone going the wrong way down a one way street.

Moral of the story? Buy a Unimog and park half mile away.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve only ever had occasion to honk a few times, mostly at someone playing with their fucking cellphone at a stoplight when theyā€™re supposed to be piloting their 2000 pound body-crusher machine. I also hate being tailgated, and consciously avoid doing it to anyone as best I can. It isnā€™t hard to not tailgate.

3 Likes

Right!? Count to three, if you passed the same part of road as the person ahead, you are tailgating. No abs in the world is gonna save you if you have to emergency stop.

5 Likes

First one in without violating right of way gets the spot. Itā€™s that simple. Jeep guy rolled the dice and found himself on the wrong side at the wrong time. Tough luck.

When parking is scarce, lots of cars circling and multiple cars waiting for every spot, any other rule is a recipe for mayhem.

1 Like

Looks to me like itā€™s purple car who rolled snake eyes.

This also assumes that the car is an automatic. If itā€™s a manual-shift then thereā€™s no problem, as the hand-brake affects only the rear wheels in most cars.

If Iā€™m waiting to make a right on red and the person behind me honks because Iā€™m not going fast enough for them I just wait for the green light.

As for parking, the people that bother me most, even worse than the drivers who block all the traffic while waiting for a spot, are the ones I call parking sharks - the people who follow you around the parking lot hoping to get your spot as soon as you leave. I either get in the car and decide itā€™s a good time to call my Mom for a nice chat or I walk down the wrong parking aisle and make a dash towards my car on the other side.

4 Likes

This is what I do, if I find that somebody is slowly following me in their car hoping to snag my space. Or, if Iā€™m already in the right aisle, Iā€™ll go between the cars to a different aisle, watch them zoom off to get to the aisle where Iā€™m now walking, and then go back.

1 Like

Oddly enough I said that in my original post.

So as the car seemed to roll back (and forward) easily enough without ā€˜bumpingā€™, it would appear that the car was indeed a manual-shift and no harm was done.
You said ā€œPurple car guy is an ass, but yellow jeep guy is worseā€ based on ā€œif that wasnā€™t a stick shiftā€, which it appears not to be.
Do you still think yellow-Jeep-guy is worse then? Or are you sticking with your ā€œifā€?

We must assume that ā€œemergency stopā€ here refers to instantaneous deceleration of the vehicle in front of you? You have much bigger problems if thatā€™s the case.
Meanwhile, 3sec is an eternity, most states following rule is 2sec, and that allows for old people with slow reflexes.

1 Like

I disagree.

http://www.driversedguru.com/driving-articles/drivers-ed-extras/the-3-second-following-distance-rule/

And having been a great offensive and defensive driver, I have been convinced three is good.

(Meet you at the Dakar? >:D)

2 Likes

Gah, why am I even arguing.

Iā€™ll list examples of where 3seconds has saved my bacon.

• a person in a merc blowing through a red light
  • me losing control after a tire blew on an icy road
  • following a combine in Devon that decided to get funky
  • a truck that made a turn at me on a one way road

Every, single, time I was saved by proper distance. Iā€™ve got great reflexes, and the skils to prove it. But tail gaiters make me turn on my windshield wiper fluid till they pass me.

1 Like

The worst way to deal with parking spot stealers:
Man Found Guilty of Killing Woman Over Parking Spot at Santa Fe Springs Swap Meet: DAā€™s Office | KTLA

The defendant exited his car, walked over to the victim, and stabbed her, according to the release. Police said at the time that she had multiple stab wounds to her neck and back.

Donā€™t waste your washer fluid:

1 Like

Getting even more OTā€¦ However, it is still transportation and involves parking oneā€™s butt:

7 Likes

Iā€™d bet you can get a lot of bludgeoning leverage out of a prosthetic leg, depending on whether the amputation was above or below the knee.

2 Likes

You could probably store a blade in one as well.

3 Likes

Drunk plane passenger attacks crew with fake leg - Edinburgh Evening News

Startled eye-witness John Smith, 48, from Falkirk, said she slapped a young girl in a neighbouring seat before unfastening her leg and swinging it at shocked stewardesses.

trying to earn a Sutherlandā€¦

2 Likes

1 Like