Biden and Harris sworn-in

It was so wonderful seeing so many people of color and women in such high profile. Mrs Peas cried when Vice President Harris(!!!) took the oath administered by her family namesake SCOTUS Justice. I cried throughout. A great day for mutant-Americans! Sleep well, weirdos. We made it (barely).

And to all of our overseas mutant allies who spent the last four years worrying alongside us and wishing us well…

30 Likes

It’s… going to take some time, indeed (though not everything can be undone without new legislation). I’m glad some people have been keeping track:
Tracking deregulation in the Trump era (brookings.edu)

16 Likes

Glad Biden called out white supremacy and racial injustice by name as a problem. He dragged on a little with the healing and unity remarks. I get it, but like others have mentioned there must be accountability. Lots of people still working overtime against unity.
Overall though, best speech I’ve heard from a U.S. President in slightly over four years!

29 Likes

Vice-President Harris and Second Gentleman Emhoff just saw off the Pences. Bye.

20 Likes

Dance, dance, dance…

…to the radio.

16 Likes

Watching the ABC stream, and one of the pundits is… Chris Christie. This is what we need to stop doing. I fully embrace cancel culture, and giving these people positions of influence of any kind runs counter to the best interest of our nation.

They can still work. We need anonymous, everyday labor. It’s what most of us do. There’s no reason to give the filth a voice a moment after they are out of office. This nation won’t heal as long as we continue to offer Trump and his minions respectful ears. They don’t deserve them.

25 Likes

This is why I went for the live stream on PBS that has the direct feed. I can listen to commentary later.

25 Likes

Chris Who?

Is he one of those men who eats like a little boy?

22 Likes

While i and my family are relieved and happy, in this area you just cannot miss the bitching and complaining from the wingnuts who were absolutely convinced that there would be no inauguration and Biden absolutely would not be president. Hoping they will slink back into their holes now, but seriously doubting it, They tasted power and liked it. It will be a struggle to put them down.

32 Likes

Congrats to America! :us: :fireworks: :partying_face:

Now you can start fixing things and making the country and the world a better place again! :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Just put ours back up! First time in years.

7 Likes

You could have flown it upside down for 4 years.

5 Likes

WHEW.

There was a massive pause right after Biden’s speech where the mic was live and it sounded like a gunshot where we were all “WTAF?!” and then it turned out to just be super awkward. After THAT point, we were able to relax.

Amanda Gorman’s reading was more moving than Biden’s, and that’s okay. He can be bland in word as long as he’s exciting in action. And I hope to hell he puts Kamala into the camera eye a lot to get everyone accustomed to her being deeply involved.

19 Likes

tenor(16)

21 Likes

So this must be what it felt like in WWII when the Allies liberated a town in Europe, eh?

7 Likes

It was great seeing Pence there. Kind of like he just got divorced but still made it to the family reunion I don’t know. It just makes former reality tv game show host Don Trump look that much more childish.
Was hoping that fly would come back, oh well!

15 Likes

“Valium use at all time low”; “Liquor sales drop”- my mental headlines.

12 Likes

Yeah, let’s not go overboard or anything… :cocktail:

12 Likes

We're Back Baby - Bender, Futurama

19 Likes

Well Mr. President and M. Vice-President, we have a lot of work to do. Let me know what I can do to help.

8 Likes