Biden drops out of the race for President

Of course, Harris would disembowel Trump in any debate, but the Trump campaign (knowing that) would twist themselves into corkscrews coming up with any excuse to nix such a get-together. What really concerns me now is the possibility of mainstream media wasting precious time by not focusing on issues and policy, (as they should have with Biden) but instead focusing more on the circumstances of her stepping in for the Presidency and her feelings on the historical significance of a win in November.

11 Likes
2 Likes

The Democrats have in Harris a qualified, energetic, charismatic candidate who can run an aggressive campaign and will have money coming out its ears. The top tier of potential Democratic challengers are all already putting their support behind her, and the contrast she’ll offer to the Trump ticket couldn’t more stark.

Hand-wringing from the Very Online notwithstanding, I think that a lot of Democrats rightfully feel pretty good about having a candidate like this ready to kick Trump’s fucking ass.

17 Likes

I strongly disagree. Harris would have to pick a VP, and Congress would have to approve the VP pick. I suspect that Johnson will probably refuse to call the matter up for a vote, citing shenanigans such as it being an election year. (Hell, he’s pushing for Biden to completely step down, which confirms my suspicions.) This means that if something unfortunate were to happen to Harris, Johnson would step into the presidency.

22 Likes

Correction: Gore DID win. The Supreme Court intervened to prevent a recount and gave the win to Bush.

29 Likes

…and we have so many lakes to choose from, here in beautiful Michigan!

11 Likes

21 Likes

… I’m just wondering if there are any historical examples of that happening

When was there ever no vice president for an extended period of time just because Congress refused to do its job :confused:

4 Likes

No, and yes? Not since the 25th Amendment, which created the current method for appointing a new Vice President. The only time a new Vice President has had to be appointed since then was when Spiro Agnew resigned, and then when Nixon resigned. Both times, Congress did their job and approved Ford and Rockefeller as the new VPs. Now, prior to the 25th Amendment, there was no process specified by the Constitution. So we had several times when we had no Vice President, usually when a VP had ascended to the Presidency after the death of a President.

14 Likes

Since Lord Dampnut cannot legally vote for President, he is not fit to serve as President and must immedately drop out of the race.

See, that shit works both ways, you bible beatin’ bastard!

Guess what?
Sen. Joe Manchin III (I-W. Va.) is considering re-registering as a Democrat to compete for the party’s presidential nomination in the wake of President Biden’s announcement Sunday…

Just when you think you’re rid of this rat-bastard’s fuckery…
Grrr.

19 Likes

Oh fuck that guy. Let him try. He has less than zero chance of getting any substantial support.

19 Likes

He’s the worst. I don’t think the could convincingly cosplay as a democrat anywhere but West Virginia.

11 Likes

According to that article, Marianne Williamson has also restarted her campaign. Who the hell is advising these people? They need someone in their life who can tell them bluntly, “You have no chance at this. Please stop.”

19 Likes

Well this is encouraging.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/all-50-democratic-party-us-state-chairs-back-harris-sources-2024-07-21/

24 Likes

other weird woo-peddlers?

12 Likes

the guardian article @Mindysan33 posted above had this:

Earlier on Sunday, Biden lost the support of the West Virginia senator Joe Manchin, a Democrat turned independent, who urged Biden to drop out but called for an “open process” to select a successor.

i’m not sure he’s necessarily looking for himself in that role. he’s probably still following the drum of oil and gas companies

14 Likes

Will crosspost to the election thread… (well, not right now, since it’s still locked)… but… soon.

6 Likes

If we substitute in “Supreme Court Justice nominee”, we get a clearer sense of how Congress would act NOW.

17 Likes

16 Likes

Trump’s ego won’t permit him to even contemplate the idea that a woman of color could beat him. He thinks that the fact that she is a POC means that he can very easily paint her as a radical that will take open the borders to rapists, force your children to be trans, and take away your hamburgers and cars. Certainly the MAGAs will buy into that, but will small number of undecided in battlegroun states? THAT is the question.

6 Likes