Biden drops out of the race for President

But actually as president is a big improvement.

7 Likes

I would too, but also awfully nervous about its chances of winning.

6 Likes

Why, may i ask?

2 Likes

I would love to see a ticket one could be ecstatic about. I am just anticipating pressure from those in the dump Biden camp for “safe”. Harris should ignore them but there may be the case for a smoother nomination in exchange.

3 Likes

… anything Biden could do as President in the next few months, Harris could do

Biden is not some kind of special magical being who can do things nobody else can do

4 Likes

If we are putting up our suggestions: Kamala Harris - Katie Porter

16 Likes

And anti-intellectual.
A lot of us were excited to see Gore show everyone just how stupid GWB was, and it was almost as catastrophic as Biden-Trump.

15 Likes

Ugh. Fuck all that.

Playing it “safe” is part of what got us here.

10 Likes

Because US voters are still so homophobic when it comes to the preznit. That on top of the deep-seated racism and sexism? :grimacing:

21 Likes

Looking from the other side of the Atlantic, in Biden I see good man who has done a hell of a lot to restore America in the last three and a bit years and made sure that Europe knew it could rely on Washington.

It must have been a devastating decision for Biden to know that stepping aside was the right thing, but I hope he takes the time to see how much he did to undo the damage of the previous incumbent. I wish him well in his remaining years and that he can enjoy retirement with his family.

29 Likes

The required thing, at least.

4 Likes

Yeah, you are right about that, of course.

I just want so badly to believe that we truly can rise above all that bullshit.

6 Likes

Biden staying in gives us a buffer from a President Johnson. If he resigns, it will be impossible to get the Republican votes for a VP replacement to fill out the term (let alone confirm Harris’s running mate to fill out her term).

11 Likes

Time for the Democrats to just keep pushing a narrative stressing the age of their opponent and his mental decline. Maybe the NYT will make a big thing of it like they did with Biden.

21 Likes

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

29 Likes

impossible to do thing, let alone the same thing

Were those supposed to be two different things at the end :confused:

“The Democratic Party has committed to not running a candidate who would be over 80 at the end of his term. For the good of the country, we call on Republicans to make the same pledge!”

24 Likes

Both from California — highly unlikely. See also, Newsome.

6 Likes

Yeah, but Biden’s administration has been the most progressive since LBJ. That’s a low bar, as I’ve said before, but it’s still the truth. If Harris runs on that record, and promises to continue that agenda, she has the progressive vote. She should just choose the most competent person who’s willing to serve, and she should make the choice ASAP.

26 Likes

Would love for it to be Sherrod Brown, but we need him here doing what he’s doing.

4 Likes