Biden drops out of the race for President

Me, too. I can’t believe we find ourselves in this situation in the first place, but since we are, it would be nice to see the Dems try to shift the Overton window back towards sanity and away from fascism. So far all I hear is predictions she’d choose a “moderate,” male veep, probably from a swing state.
But no matter who ends up on the ticket, I fear we’ve set ourselves up to have the election decided by the courts if the D ticket wins. I realize we already would’ve ended up dealing with a bunch of lawsuits, like last time, but those are different than the ones sure to be coming which challenge the whole legitimacy of the D candidate’s ability to even run in the first place.

21 Likes

Sad, and deeply angrifying, but true.

16 Likes

George Bush Sr in the Simpsons typing "and since I'd acheieved all of my goals as president in one term there was no need for a second"

Simpsons strike again

20 Likes

I hope if it’s Harris that she and Tromp do debate.

Felon versus Prosecutor!!

25 Likes

was it tho? That’s still not so obvious that it WAS the right decision. We won’t know that until the election itself.

high quality GIF

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

14 Likes

I would love for it to be Harris, but I don’t think the mega-donors wanted Biden out so that someone else could continue his path.

I think this whole thing was to get someone in who is too conservative to win a Democratic primary.

I hope I am wrong, and it is just a chance to change the (truly bad) narrative of two old white men.

But if this was the terrible misstep I think it was, we can at least find some comfort knowing that the Democratic Party will be outlawed before the midterms. /s :fearful:

(The /s only being for the comfort part. If Trrmp wins,…)

10 Likes

Shocked Cosmo Kramer GIF

8 Likes

Well, I don’t think it was necessary, I don’t think it was right, and I don’t think it is what Biden wanted.

So that leaves “required” by donor-fueled party-politics and corporate media.

6 Likes

Angry Alan Rickman GIF

11 Likes

Sorry, read that as “To confirm ANY nominee for VP to fill out Harris’s term, let alone whoever she picks as a running mate.” Does that clarify?

1 Like

(So far all the comments are: Both!)

18 Likes

That’s exactly what AOC was saying in her video a couple of days ago. I hope she’s wrong. She rarely is, but I hope she’s dead wrong this time. I think Harris as the nominee is the only realistic option that will give Democrats a chance to win.

18 Likes

I do think an upside if she’s chosen might be that the racist and sexist vitriol would make Tromp and Vance all that much more vile in the eyes of Undecideds.

21 Likes

Hopefully, but… Good grief, what does it take that they haven’t seen it yet??

21 Likes

Angry Michael Eklund GIF by SYFY

8 Likes

Yeah, good point.

Sad Rabbit GIF by Muffin & Nuts

14 Likes

… the best time to get rid of the filibuster was 200 years ago, and the second best time is now

8 Likes

I like Biden and think he was doing a good job. But now that he’s made the choice I really hope Harris is the nomination.

Although I would love to see Harris-Porter or even Harris-Newsom, I don’t think it would be wise to have both candidates from California. The VP probably needs to be a white man from the South or Midwest.

If she picks someone awful like Manchin I’m going to switch* to hard alcohol, however.

*From coffee

14 Likes

That may be true, but I don’t think we should just give in here. We keep pushing back against this ratfuckery. We have to go to war with the army we have, and that looks like it’s gonna be Harris. We back her and get her into office, whatever the corporate media and big donors might want. That’s up to YOU to be a part of.

21 Likes

Mark Kelly could be the attack dog that the campaign needs. Better mil record than JD, fukking astronaut, victim of RW stochastic terrorism via the attack on his wife Gabby Giffords, potential to swing Arizona to D. However, his senate replacement would likely be R.

19 Likes