Biden drops out of the race for President

I’d hope Manchin was so disliked by the rest of the party they’d let him nowhere near it…

12 Likes

Agreed. The whole point of the VP is to be the designated replacement for the President. If she’s not good enough to replace him now, then why was she picked as VP to begin with?

11 Likes

Something that offends/affects them personally? Look at all the evil that goes on in this world–Palestine, all the prejudice/injustice that people ignore in our own country–that continues because people do not feel the impact, too busy with their own struggles, indulgences, whatever.
Not every waffling voter is a clone. I saw a lot of women cheering for Idiocracy 2024 with Kid Rock and the Hulkster.

1 Like

I fear it was. Well-founded or not, the narrative was only going one way.

The media, and by extension, the majority of the electorate would be waiting for the next slip - no matter how minor - rather than concentrating on the real issues that should decide the election. Biden is a hundred times better than the opposition, but the story, no matter how much we wish it was otherwise, was about his stumbles. It’s not fair, it’s cruel, but it’s what has happened.

8 Likes

Mark Kelly would make an excellent VP!

again, so @#$n proud of Biden! Nation over self all the way. i’d put him on Rushmore, were it up to me. Show the world what the opposite of the climax egotist solipsistic ‘only I can save you’ trump looks like. What a states-person!

(if he wanted to add even more icing on that cake, use his remaining months and ‘official immunity’ to policy-wise bust some republican butts [wink])

18 Likes

Biden is a hundred times better than the opposition, but the story, no matter how much we wish it was otherwise, was about his stumbles. It’s not fair, it’s cruel, but it’s what has happened.

yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

5 Likes

Sassy We Did It GIF by Rosanna Pansino

4 Likes

Manchin has gone (I) now, so i can’t see it being him.

Also, gross.

6 Likes

Filibuster is irrelevant. Under the 25th Amendment, if the office of VP is vacant, the President can nominate someone to replace her, but the nominee must be confirmed by majorities of both chambers of Congress.

6 Likes

Biden was definitely betwixt frying pan and fire, and saying OK, unleash the “doesn’t he look tired” hounds on trump is a good idea, I’m struggling to come up with positives otherwise.

4 Likes
You started with an exciting candidate riding a wave of popularity, and ended up with Hubert fucking Humphrey.
I was 14 at the time, but I remember it being a bit more complicated than that. Hubert Humphrey was the establishment pro-war candidate, and it was starting to be clear that he was going to lose the nomination to Eugene McCarthy, the anti-establishment anti-war candidate. Then the party establishment convinced Bobby Kennedy to run as the establishment anti-war candidate to dilute the McCarthy voters, only to have him walk away with the rest of the primaries. Then he was murdered and his delegates somehow ended up pledged to Humphrey, which pissed-off enough of the McCarthy/Kennedy voters to throw the actual election to Nixon. But, my memory may be faulty.
13 Likes

Suicide. It would cost half the California electoral college votes. (It’s an old holdover rule, but it’s there.)

eta:

11 Likes

Omg, now I want that to happen so much, if only for the chance to see the batshit crazy conspiracy theories that would arise from having one of a set of identical twins as VP, the other of whom spent enough time in space to clearly have been switched over by the alien lizard people.

21 Likes

Wondering where the no trump crossover republicans will fall. There’s still plenty of whitists in their midst. I hope a winning margin can be maintained. We’ve been clawing our way back out of electoral college jeopardy. I hope this will be a net positive there. Where there are flaws in the system where republicans take advantage is were we need to match and seize control of their game. Tempus fugit.

5 Likes
I still think Biden should just resign
Just one little problem, Mike Johnson is then next in the line of succession, and both houses of Congress need to vote for a new VP, so there won't be one. Which basically means Harris will be in serious danger if she goes out in public to campaign.
11 Likes

By my reading, it is pretty defeatist…

10 Likes

As she would if she followed the WaPo’s brilliant suggestion to pick a Republican VP (sorry the onebox didn’t come up).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/07/21/kamala-harris-haley-cheney-biden/

5 Likes

What’s done is done, and whether you want to arm-chair quarterback it or not, now action is required to push us over the victory line. Looking for a Harris/[TBD] lawn sign asap. Talk to your friends and neighbors, let’s do this thing!

13 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/a-small-matter-of-the-politics

6 Likes

You can’t just be on the receiving end of this stuff. Trump is about to show the kind of gutter white nationalist and racist pol he is. Force the press and all observers to see this totally predictable move through that prism… . . Complaining the attacks aren’t fair won’t do it. It needs to cut right at what Trump is. Sure, show us why so many people hate you. Fighting means fighting.

Yep, as I was saying.

5 Likes