Biden electability

Much more valuable than money is time.

Grassroots volunteers. Knock on doors, phone bank, support your local unions on the picket lines, show up for immigrant support networks, get involved with the DSA or your local anarchists.

Politics is not a spectator sport.

12 Likes

Biden is a blatantly racist, blatantly misogynistic, blatantly corrupt warmonger.

Your bar is much too low.

10 Likes

Inslee was in the House at the time and he voted against it.

Your confidence that he has any actual beliefs at all gives him more credit than I would.

The principale of maximum likelihood suggests that a Biden administration will be an imagination-free shadow of the Obama-Biden administration, with any actual important ideas - good or bad - coming from the legislature.

3 Likes

Let’s not cast aspersions on Satan.

6 Likes

Also, it’s important to remember that however bad the Democratic candidate personally (from my perspective, the worst would probably be Tulsi Gabbard), having a Democrat in the White House has a massive impact because it puts the exceutive branch in Democratic hands. Which means there are going to be people who know what they’re doing in charge of the various federal bureaus, ministries, etc., instead of a bunch of sycophantic incompetents trying to wreck everything.

And even the most lackluster Dem presidents aren’t going to go around throwing out executive orders to screw with LGBTQ+ folks, or undocumented immigrants, or whatever; at worst, they’ll be indifferent and ignore the issues, which is worlds better than the active hostility and malice from the Republicans.

11 Likes

Right? And it’s very unlikely they’d ignore them, since they now make up a significant part of their base. The whole concept of supporting people’s free expression of their identities* has become a baseline talking point for the new stars of the Democratic Party.

*offer does not apply to Neo-Nazis, see your dealer for details

3 Likes

She’s really not that bad; she’s one of my state’s 2 congresspeople, and she’s done an OK job of representing us. As wary as I am of her whole clan (both family and local social/professional circle), I honestly think she would make a better president than many of the 177 or so people who have filed for the nomination.

If Biden did not have the baggage of having been, you know, Barrack Obama’s VP, he would be a good bet to primary ⊄rump, as a Republican.

Full disclosure: Biden is my last choice for the Democratic nominee, but if he does get the nomination, I’ll hold my nose and vote for him in the general.

7 Likes

Now, I know you aren’t a concern troll because I took the time to look at your comments via the activity thread, but you are pretty deep in what I call Grouchy Grandpa country here. Basically, the gist of what you are saying is that you have a visceral dislike and are now fishing for reasons to support that dislike, combined with the disillusioned view that The Man is too strong.

I am actually seeing that a lot here, and not just from you: a gut dislike against Warren, or in @Wanderfound’s case Biden, which is demotivating, disheartening and just plain turning people off. Let’s just remember that we have a lot – a lot – of good candidates this time around. Let’s work hard to not just take back the White House, but also to trounce those Republicans in Congress who are up for reelection as well!

5 Likes

Whilst i agree with the sentiment, with a two-party-biased system similar to the UK that you have, voting for the lesser of two evils just legitimises both main parties and guarantees you’ll only ever get evil

Vote for what you actually want IMHO, even if your vote gets ignored/discarded (and push for voting reform ALWAYS)

May not be the correct option, but i feel it’s the moral one

1 Like

The difference there is their fears about Hillary were based on rumor, conspiracy theory and spite. Where as Donald Trump had done, and bragged about, nearly everything Hillary was accused of. And thus far has done everything that conservatives predicted Hillary, Obama, and nearly any Democratic or left wing candidate would do in office. Hell one of their central public points of opposition was that Clinton would not be able to govern, as her presidency would be defined by non stop scandal and investigations. Which, look at the American news.

People are making these justifications in case of Biden because we have an actual fascist in office. Because the man running our country is putting children in camps, freely violating the law, directly attacking base civil rights. And openly threatening to do more. He is distainful of the free press, free speach, and other corner stones of a free society. He advocates for the prosecution of opponents and critics on the grounds that they are opponents and critics. And these things are not sour grapes. Or pearl clutching predictions for the future. They are confirmed, real events. Acknowledged, excused, and often celebrated by his supporters and political faction.

The calls to support whoever his eventual challenger ends up being are not rote partisanship. But based on the fact that Donald Trump must be removed from office. That even a more routine sort of bad president is a better choice and a safer outcome.

So the anti-choice lobbyist says the word peace and we’re supposed to cheer? Gabbard’s early career is defined by associations and positions that aren’t just right of center. But were outright conservative. And while her quite recent rebranding as a progressive came via an apology tour she still maintains associations and funding from the same groups she was formerly an active participant in. And she was one of the very first Democrats to cosy up to Trump, even campaigning based on the association.

What exactly is non-status quo about a conservative Democrat who’s policies are as vague as the apologies she offers for past more specific ones. What’s non-status quo about a politician who’s positions are so obviously based on cynical triangulation? What’s non-status quo about cryptically supporting the incumbent she now seeks to challenge?

She certainly wants you to think that. But while her apologies present her history as a simple “i belived x but i changed” situation. The reality is she worked actively and vociferously to curtail reproductive and LGBT rights. She did damage. She hasn’t and wont acknowledge that. And only publickly “changed her mind” on these subjects when they became a liability for her campaigns for public office. Worse she’s shown no interest in working as hard to advance those rights as she once did to remove them.

Her actual voting record as a progressive is both recent and weak. And there isn’t a ton of daylight between her more recent actions actually governing and the centrist block of the DNC.

She doesn’t have a hope of being elected because her campaign has apparently been in disarray since before it launched.

5 Likes

To be fair to Biden, I also think that most of the rest of the US ruling class are corrupt, racist, mass-murdering scum. He’s not the only one.

And there’s nothing “gut” about it; it’s based upon a lifetime study of world history.

Which is part of my point.

A Biden nomination would be absolutely catastrophic for volunteer and voter turnout. Almost every part of the Democratic Party’s supposed base has good reason to despise him.

6 Likes

To be frank, I don’t have a dislike against Warren, Biden or AOC or even Trump.

I pity all of them, Tulsi included, because there is no democracy in your country. You have only a bi-partisan corporate kleptocracy that exists solely to protect its own interests.

And because you have no hope, you delude yourselves, believing that replacing republicans with democrats will bring hope and change, just as you believed Obama.

But at the same time you conveniently ignore the fact that the richest country in the world is home to 43 million people who live in poverty.

That you have a penal system which is a profit-making enterprise and holds 1/4 of the world’s prison population.

That your global dominance depends on supplying arms to 73% of the world’s dictatorships.

That every post-war US president would, if held to Nuremberg laws be hanged for war crimes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdD9uSrNFT4

I’m sorry to break the news but your country is f*cked.

Carry on debating candidates by all means.

I’m sure the fiddle players on the Titanic thought they were making a change too.

2 Likes

My reasons for not voting for her are my own, and are not a reflection of how the GOP wanted me to feel about her.

With regard to Clinton/Trump vote ratios in my county and state - all the electoral votes still went to her. So I didn’t elect Trump.

Well, you should be careful with that.
Someone in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Wisconsin might have heard you.

3 Likes

The best thing about demonizing another country is that it lets you off the hook for any genuine activism, ie stuff that involves more than being hyperbolic at a computer keyboard. Obviously you can’t take direct action in demon country, since there’s all that distance (and maybe water). Meanwhile, for all the bad stuff at home, you can tell yourself that (a), it isn’t so bad, at least by comparison to demon country, and (b) it is all demon country’s fault anyway.

4 Likes

I think you just hit upon why some of our esteemed forum members who are not eligible to vote in the USA are so cranky. Me, I thought it was more akin to yelling from the bleachers, since they have no real skin in the game and imagine that when it all goes to shit, they will only be spectators — little do they realise that they are well within the shrapnel zone, and may even get hit worse than those they are hoping will fail.

2 Likes

Fret not, all around the world we’re fully aware that any sh*t-storm your country creates - be it economic, military or environmental - we’ll all join you in being smeared in the the rotting stench.

That’s why we watch in earnest. So we can run and take cover before the b*mbs hits us.

We’re not demonizing you. This is not hyperbole.

Everything I’ve said is factual.

Feel free to pick anything I’ve said and refute its veracity.

As for your specific points:

a) it isn’t so bad, at least by comparison to demon country -yes, that’s right, but we’re not far behind you

b) it is all demon country’s fault anyway - spot on. Well done.