Biden elected president

Those plane tickets to Moscow ain’t free, gotta save it for what’s really important!

1 Like

i explained it to you, you must have missed it.

edited to say-- never mind.

4 Likes

One of those campaigns is the Trump campaign, and he is going to drag this out for as long as possible just so he doesn’t have to say that he is a loser. I can easily believe that the formal request has been made.

14 Likes

If he has 270, he HAS been elected president, and he is officially president-elect. Once he’s sworn in he becomes president…

This seems a really odd nit to pick here, dude. Most of us are well aware of how this process works and don’t need to be told.

And yes, bad shit could happen. We know that, too. Again, we’ve all been awake for the past four years, and many of us have been aware of the building of the far right for several decades now, not just these last 4 years. You’re really not telling us anything we’re not aware of.

We would like maybe to take a breath and be happy that we got that douche out of our house.

I could not agree more!

If it’s requested, they’ll do it anyway. And it does matter, because if they recount and it still breaks Biden’s way, that sends a powerful message for the run-offs in January. It would encourage turn out for those races, energize the base, and let people know that shit has changed down here.

The secretary of state said there will be a recount… as you can see in the quoted portion of the article there. Do you think he’s (Raffensperger) lying or unaware of what’s happening with the election?

23 Likes

I get that, but if flipping the electoral votes in GA (and WI for that matter) won’t change the outcome, I don’t see them following through. I agree that they’ll bluster about demanding recounts for the next few days, but that’s all.

The secretary of state said there will be a recount… as you can see in the quoted portion of the article there. Do you think he’s (Raffensperger) lying or unaware of what’s happening with the election?

I think he’s a Republican politician working through his emotions in public.

It’s a fine look - she would only be there breaking ties when the Republicans are blocking policies that MOST OF THE COUNTRY WANTS

7 Likes

It might discourage someone from making sure their ballot was accepted.

Deadline is 5PM Today. It might change things down ballot. It might help Biden avoid any last minute surprises.

4 Likes

Well, no, he can confirm judges nominated by Joe Biden or (more likely) none at all. But that’s probably still an improvement.

7 Likes

So did I just hear right that Georgia is going to do a recount?

6 Likes

You know what you call people

but who vote for effectively racist administrations?

14 Likes

You’re assuming that winning the electoral college automatically means that Biden becomes president.

There are other things that could happen, and the Trump campaign is working on making those things happen.

Biden is not President until he is successfully inaugurated.

Yes. Because it does.

12 Likes

Ya, I mean “Joe Biden has been elected the 46th President of the United States of America”? I feel like in an environment where there’s a (bogus) assertion that the vote is riggerd, that we can wait a bit longer until folks votes are actually counted. Seems like the least that can be done. We can wait 3 days but not 4?

Seems like you can read/hear better than others…

9 Likes

None of which are Constitutional.

No matter what happens next, Donald Trump will not legally be President after January 21st.

15 Likes

Here’s what I saw posted on the NYT election tracker:

With a narrow margin between candidates, “there will be a recount in Georgia,” the state’s top elections official said. Biden currently leads by about 1,500 votes.

3 Likes

LOL. I guess you can tell I didn’t read all of your post now. :confused: I heard it on the local news just before i turned off the TV to clock in.

2 Likes

Cold comfort if we end up stuck with an illegal president.

Immoral … morality has been even more starkly revealed to NOT be part of the Xian lexicon.

Beau’s thoughts on the matter align rather strongly with my own.

15 Likes

Fear. It’s fear.

Racism, misogyny, nationalism, tribalism, ignorance, repression, poor education outcomes, idolization of authority… all of the above, yet not all of the above for everyone.

Fear is the factor that unites them. Fear crushes curiosity, so familiarity with other people and cultures is impossible.

Fear drives resentment of others because something must be making it hard to get a job/walk safely down the street/trust the media/trust the government.

Fear is profoundly easy to exploit. This thread is full of dread that things kept breaking for trump for 4 years, so there must be some specter lurking around the corner. This race is done, but the fear will mark us for a generation.

One “side” of this country dwells in hope (or at least returns to it in moments of despair) and the other “side” dwells in fear. Neither “side” live there permanently, yet many dwell more on one end of the spectrum. What we think of when we mythologize our past is the times that the spectrum shifted toward hope and we found a path forward together. I’m not talking about bipartisanship at all. But I am talking about those very rare times when we were able to lay fear aside and work together by seeing the best in each other and not just what we feared. And every time an Obama or a Biden wins and we don’t descend into Sharia law or baby eating or whatever, we add one more brick to the fortification of hope. And today looks like one of those days.

23 Likes