Biden to announce vice president running mate this week: reports

“The left position is you rarely support anyone. You vote against the worst. You keep the pressure and activism going.” – Noam Chomsky

5 Likes

The most likely counter to Biden choosing a woman of color would be Nicky Haley.

4 Likes

Honestly, Nikki Haley would make for a better VP than Pence, and (obviously) a better president than Trump.

2 Likes

Maybe they just made the official announcement and I missed it, but I just checked that betting site again and now was showing 97% odds in favor of Harris just before crashing. So someone must know something.

Update: yes, it’s official

5 Likes

So much for that, I guess.

5 Likes

When it comes to Biden, expect the expected. Oh well.

ETA: Like I said above, she has her strengths, too. We just have to prepare for the Republicans and Putin to exploit her history and can’t realistically expect her to attract younger and more progressive people to the polls.

8 Likes

8 Likes

the right-wing “third party” consistently gets more votes than any of the left-wing “third parties”

that’s not a measurement of unity on the right

3 Likes

I was really hoping for Stacey Abrams… :sob:

8 Likes

Probably not the best choice since their CEO is a far right Trumpster.

4 Likes

As noted, I am not surprised. Biden was the understudy himself, so he knows what the job entails. And he has known Harris for a couple of years now, they got to know each other when his late son Beau was also a DAState AG.(edited)

Of course she’s not perfect, but who is? She has Joe’s respect, even after ruthlessly attacking him in the primaries. Or maybe even because she was able to attack him on a professional level, and not on a personal one. The sort of person you want as your understudy.

As I see it, she may be ruthless, but she’s our ruthless fighter.

7 Likes

Oh well, time for this post again.

Hopefully I’m wrong. But damn, the democrats are doing everything possible to ensure that nobody gets excited about their ticket.

7 Likes

Remember her higher education loan forgiveness program proposal that was so hilariously convoluted and niche-targeted that it spawned a meme generator for making shitty third-way feel-good policy proposals that wouldn’t actually do anything or help anyone?

Gosh, such a great pick.

6 Likes

OK, looking for the bright side even though he went with one of my least-favorite choices.

While Harris absolutely did use the power of her office as state AG to enforce unjust and terrible laws, she did also use the position to get a few good things done. For example, she successfully went after a number of oil and automotive companies for pollution and was able to use California’s market share to force social media companies and software developers to adhere to privacy rules that were much stricter than they would have had to otherwise.

So there’s that I guess.

9 Likes

Man, I like BB a lot, but sometimes it’s good to remember that it is not very reflective of the country.

3 Likes

Plus there’s still an opportunity for Warren to snag the Senate majority leader spot. Fingers crossed!

6 Likes

Same. Or Duckworth.

But, I guess obvious choice is obvious.

5 Likes

Could you please expand on what you mean, along with that gif?

7 Likes

[Citation Needed]

Same policies, more competence = worse, not better.

2 Likes

Happy to–I was making a comment on some of the dour reactions to Harris being selected* and expressing happiness that this pick does, in fact, make a lot of Democrats and Democratic voters quite happy.

*which is anybody’s perfect right, make no mistake. Everybody has their first choice, and the right to be disappointed if they don’t get it.

6 Likes