Biden wins most Super Tuesday states; Sanders takes California

Better than what we now but, not much of an upgrade.

1 Like

If it is Biden vs Trump I won’t be able to consume the news without cringing and will be undecided if I want Covid-19 to take out them or me.

10 Likes

Maybe I’m FUCKING NUTS (yes, we’re in the caps-shouting phase) but if we wanted to actually fucking rally the troops, and some ashole determined that playing to the “middle” was the way to do that, wouldn’t Warren be the “center” for the DNC? Why is the center between Trump and Bernie? Why not between Biden and Bernie? What kind of fucking party is this? My guess is the kind where everyone has puked and passed out by 8pm, and some asshole takes a shit in mom’s bed, picks everyone’s pocket and crashes his car into a tree down the block. More literally, I guess the kind that wants to stay rich more than it wants to actually win, or make the country stronger.

14 Likes

corporate media stepped hard on the scales this election cycle, it was pretty disgusting to watch - I wasn’t hoping for Bernie, rather Warren but most definitely not Biden

Now we get to listen to right-wing attacks and depositions on Hunter for the next decade (they are still attacking Hillary, court ruled she has to sit for a deposition on her emails this year!)

And for those that remember Reagan and how he slowly went totally senile and crazy and everyone covered for him, Biden is already showing signs of alzheimers so he’ll be off his rocker by the end of the term if not the first year, the coverups will be insane and we’ll have to accept it

How the hell are they going to get people motivated to go vote, I sure do not want to. Kinda starting to agree the country needs to burn to get progress but too many people would suffer (including myself).

He better pick a perfect VP, I guess Warren would be too much to hope for, he’s going to do whatever wallstreet wants.

7 Likes

Bloomberg dropped out earlier today, Warren is expected to do so soon.

3 Likes

They should be, but no one is proposing that. What’s being proposed is that these billionaires get slightly less wealthy each year.

10 Likes

Yep, having most of the moderates drop out right before Super Tuesday did help the remaining moderate. The DNC’s plan to stop Bernie has at least pretty much guaranteed a contested convention.

And really, I can’t blame the DNC here, Sanders is a major threat to their system. Can you imagine if he got the nomination on his nakedly anti-billionaire platform? CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CNN, all major Radio except NPR, and most major Newspapers etc… all owned by billionaires. Try to win the election with the entire media establishment under orders to bury you. This is what the DNC fears. Not to mention Bernie’s naked attack on the healthcare middleman industry, an enormously powerful lobby with their hands in campaigns all over the country. It could be a disaster for downballet candidates to have healthcare industry funded attack adds running all across the country.

Joe may have a huge enthusiasm gap disadvantage (which means he’ll likely lose) vs. Trump, but at least he doesn’t bring the entire party down with him by angering everybody who owns congressmen.

Our country became feudalistic so slowly most people didn’t even notice. People in the US think it is normal to spend five figures on routine health procedures. They’re angry at immigrants for stealing their income when it’s actually going to billionaires. Bernie is threatening to upset this balance and they aren’t going to take it lying down.

9 Likes

Agreed. Let’s not talk as if it were all settled. In many regions turnout was low. Bernie took the youth vote & also attracts many people of color. We know the party doesn’t like him from what happened in the runup to 2016, but in my opinion Bernie is waaay more electable than Uncle Joe because people will turn out to vote for him, instead of being turned off by more of the same. Instead of giving up, we need to come out in great numbers to agitate for Bernie & convince the party that he is the popular candidate, with Warren as a compromise if she decides to stay in. We are the true grassroots movement that Bloomberg tried to hire. Let’s take a tip from his campaign & get the word out.

7 Likes

11 Likes

Lest we forget his warm and wonderful, “A lying, dog-faced pony soldier” to the joy of Centrists.

3 Likes

Warren is at the center of the Democratic Party. However, the center of the country (if you measure on how people vote and not where the policies they support lie) is to the right of that, probably even to the right of Biden.

If you watch him on the morning news shows, where he is not standing in front of a big crowd, he is far far better. Despite all his experience, I don’t think Biden is comfortable with crowds. In the 1980s he used to go into attack mode when under pressure in a public place, now maybe he just ends up tripping over himself.

He better pick a perfect VP, I guess Warren would be too much to hope for, he’s going to do whatever wallstreet wants.

He has already suggested several people he would consider:

Biden did not provide any specific names, but he said several people are qualified, including “the former assistant attorney general who got fired,” referring to former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates; “the woman who should have been the governor of Georgia,” referring to Stacey Abrams; and “the two senators from the state of New Hampshire,” referring to Sens. Jeanne Shaheen (D) and Maggie Hassan (D).

He has also suggested elsewhere he would be happy to run with Warren, also with Michele Obama. I suspect in the event Abrams will be his top choice.

Seems like to me, but hey, you know, we can’t give into affirmative action thinking by giving the nomination to a woman… if women were meant to lead, they’d already be leaders, AMIRITE!!! /s

ohnoes

14 Likes

Oh yeah, no I know what center they’re going for, I’m just pretty fucking sure it’s the wrong center. At least where the fate of the world is concerned.

8 Likes

Well yes, in reality I agree, but in the minds of the .05%, that is equally terrible.

The center is probably not good enough for fate of the world. I’m just hoping that whoever we elect can step up to the plate on three critical issues: climate change, science-based response to coronavirus and measles, and reproductive rights. I think the democrats currently in will be pretty comparable on these. Other issues where they differ more (distribution of wealth, civil liberties, foreign relations, speed of health care reform) are big issues, and important, but not immediate existential crises.

2 Likes

“lets pit a stale donut against a flaming dumpster fire. again”
-The DNC.

Gore. Kerry. HRClinton.

Obama was never their plan and thats literally why Joe was there as VP.

12 Likes

Oh it will work but only only the Lowest Info folks

It’s more than that though. Intraparty politics is all about fundraising for the “home office” and stumping for downticket party races. Bernie is no good for the DNC on both points. Bernie is not a Democrat, yet Independents have no infrastructure so support their candidacies at all. While many of his policies align Dem, he’s much further left than most Dems. And his stated policies will just get dusty if he wins the WH. Liz was my first choice, but oh well.

If Warren doesn’t get the nomination herself (it’s still technically possible!) then I hope she stays in the senate. We need every good senator we can get, and she’s proven her value in that role.

As an aside, I haven’t seen much recently about the state of the senate races. Do the Democrats have much of a prospect for retaking the senate?

3 Likes

The debate between Trump and Biden will be legendary. Two candidates literally saying anything, with no regard or knowledge of fact.

What a grand, and yet failed experiment.

5 Likes