Billionaire chronicles

What I find interesting is that castles were built primarily to defend against other feudal lords. While peasant uprisings existed in the Middle Ages, they were not usually what the aristocracy were concerned about. In a time of absolutism, where aristocrats didn’t have to worry about physical attacks from peers, castles were turned into chateaux and country houses (ask the French how that went!). Does that mean these bunkers are for the coming billionaire wars?

8 Likes

Just about anything. That’s a one-dimensional defence against gangs with assault rifles, with no use of all the stuff out there, like the unlooted bags of cement at the local building supply warehouse, still-running trucks to drive into the moat, trees and axes…

Helicopters and skydivers? Are these people, like, eight years old?

9 Likes

Just run a hose from a gas tanker truck onto the property. Release the full load and

IMG_5308

8 Likes

There are a few major flaws with these plans that keep crossing my mind. The first, which has been discussed above, is not considering the staff. Also, so many interesting details about these bunkers are very public. Remember what happened to some builders of the pyramids in Egypt? The most secure bunker is a secret bunker.

Finally, there’s the point that came up in the movie “Leave the World Behind.” Unless these ultra-rich folks plan to stay in the bunker 24x7, awaiting TEOTWAWKI, what are the odds they’ll make it back there in time after whatever hits the fan? They might just be building a bunker for the resourceful folks in the area who figure out how to get in (and/or the staff members who rarely leave).

5 Likes

Have you any idea how many bags of cement you need to mix one cubic metre of concrete?

No, you’ll want a couple of those:

6 Likes

10 Likes

The Congressional Nuclear Bunker Is for Sale Because of a Defaulted Loan.

6 Likes

Thanks, but not with that carpet.

6 Likes

I’m a big fan of cyberpunk but I fear, like all science fiction, this group of people see it as a manual for the future.

Combined with my observation above, I now genuinely think they are preparing for the corp wars.

2 Likes

And no public transportation.

4 Likes

Hey, I’ve got $4.37 in my pocket. Who’s with me?

3 Likes

I’m working through the sprawl triology. It’s taking a few years.

There’s some serious “did I fucking stutter” vibes in the second one with the story thread with the billionaire. Like “he’s so rich he’s barely human”, less subtle than the rich family of neuromancer

2 Likes

Fascists who wish to join Ziklag will need to have a minimum net worth of 25 millon

2 Likes

… unelected rich asshole has opinions

4 Likes

[Billionaire accused of stealing sand in Malibu, lawsuit says - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)]

9 Likes

That shithead owns the Milwaukee Brewers baseball team. Maybe he could ask their fans to bring him sand.

2 Likes

stay-out-of-malibu

8 Likes

Moving beach sand can cause serious and unpredictable erosion problems. He could be causing his neighbor’s house (or his own) to eventually be sucked into the ocean. Even jetties cause more harm than good.

11 Likes

Parasite welfare-for-the-rich cities.

7 Likes

Having them all in one spot could open… possibilities, though.

6 Likes