Billionaire chronicles

I don’t know if they’ll live there. Won’t these be more like company towns for the Gray peons, where the Bros are the landLORDs?

4 Likes

ETA: @BakaNeko

Valentine Love GIF by Coca-Cola

8 Likes
5 Likes

The slashdot review seems to find the book too biased on the anti-Gates side of the ledger.

3 Likes

That can’t be Slashdot, it’s a zombie that vaguely resembles the body of what it was when it was alive.

Microsoft

7 Likes

Wow, all the author had to do was follow the money (and influence)…

This Politico piece about the impact of the Gates Foundation on the global COVID response was published about six months after that post:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/14/global-covid-pandemic-response-bill-gates-partners-00053969

7 Likes

This calls for the rare 2-eyebrows-raised Spock because I can’t imagine what a trillion dollars even looks like:

11 Likes

I don’t know if karma was a factor here, but it’s kinda wild to me that a 180 ft-long, 473-ton “superyacht” that’s anchored close to shore can be capsized like that.

7 Likes

That’s just a cover story for the Orcas.

11 Likes

Orcas have learned to summon tornadoes

The Autonomy founder’s superyacht, the Bayesian, sunk

What were the odds of that?

14 Likes

The story reads like some kind of supervillain-on-supervillain hit job. Better start looking into which Billionaires have access to weather-control devices.

7 Likes

All that crossed my mind was with all that expensive equipment it seems odd that no one was paying enough attention to the weather. Any vessel or vehicle can be flipped, given the right wind conditions - on land or at sea. Paying attention on the water is even more important, because options to escape tend to be more limited. The press frequently publishes images of boats capsized (or thrown inland) at ports after violent storms.

I’m sure more about that will come out during the investigation. From the accounts of the survivors it really sounded very chaotic and traumatic.

7 Likes

Just like any other entry in a ledger, or rather a database these days.
(You might have to increase the column witdth in a spreadsheet, though.)

4 Likes

I’ve read about this story all day but this is the first time I heard who it is about. The opaque super yacht ownership structures really work against accurate reporting. As designed.

I suspect that if it hadn’t been anchored and/or close to shore it would have been fine. Ships are safest at sea and all that.

But this was a freak weather event. Nobody is to blame.

From the linked NYT article

A passenger ship sailing under the flag of the Netherlands, the Sir Robert Baden Powell, anchored nearby, provided immediate assistance

A sea scouts ship?

3 Likes

Additional information, links:

2 Likes

Stephen Chamberlain – the Autonomy executive who was a co-defendant with Lynch in the US, and who was also acquitted – died today after being hit by a car on Saturday morning in Stretham, England. He was taken to hospital in a critical condition, and was placed on life support.

Hmm

5 Likes

No. Unless the scouts charter it.

3 Likes

Holy cow, this detail:

I wasn’t really serious at first about the karma thing but damn, what are the odds of both men perishing so soon after the acquittal?

8 Likes

Oddly enough…
Stephen Chamberlain – the Autonomy executive who was a co-defendant with Lynch in the US, and who was also acquitted – died today after being hit by a car on Saturday morning in Stretham, England. He was taken to hospital in a critical condition, and was placed on life support.

6 Likes