Bloomberg quits race, endorses Biden

3reasn

15 Likes

#JustHereForTheRatio

3 Likes

That’s demonstrably not true.

2 Likes

Primaries are very different from general elections though. Biden’s win, as far as I can tell, is at least in large part due to the collective anxiety the entire left end of the country has about other people not voting for Bernie. A sentiment and anxiety definitely drummed up by anyone with money and a microphone. That anxiety is a non-factor in the general.

8 Likes

… Anxiety borne out by Bernie’s inability to turn out the enthusiastic youth vote that was supposed to push him over the top.

2 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing. You spent $0 and are going to get ratioed to hell and gone. Looks like even Bloomberg got a better deal than you did.

4 Likes

Not sure where you get your numbers (probably from dRumph himself), but here’s the reality.

“As of Oct. 19, Donald Trump had spent $429.5 million on his campaign, leaving him with $83.9 million to spend before the general election on Nov. 8.”

This is for 2016 only and not complete. As to 2020 campaign - How much has he spent going to his “rallies” all over the country and sticking the cities with the bills, or flying around at taxpayers expense playing golf? So, if your idea of a “good negotiator” is someone who doesn’t pay their bills and rides on other people’s money, then I have nothing to say.

13 Likes

Quick, someone get Biden to Flint and show him drinking a glass of water. That’ll be sure to help the cause.

2 Likes

The look on the faces of those children is absolutely priceless

What the fuck is this from🤣

2 Likes

Making Biden the nominee he will lose to Trump.

I would vote for a potted plant though if it means beating Trump.

Bernie is the only person at this point who can actually change anything but I guarantee you he will be fucked over again and this is literally the point of this article money supports money.

Joe Biden isn’t going to change anything he might restore status quo which got Trump elected in first place and nothing is fundamentally going to change under him.

You need extremes to fight extremes and Bernie is the only sane extremity. Some of what he believes is nuts but I would take his kind of nuts over Joe Biden any day and absolutely over Trump.

3 Likes

Really too bad about the youth vote, and too bad the black vote went to someone who repeatedly lied about marching for civil rights rather than someone who actually did.

5 Likes

Bernie isn’t actually extreme, he’s a left wing social democrat. He’s not a Marxist or an AnCom.

(For comparison, I am an AnCom, or as close to one that the difference doesn’t matter)

9 Likes

And yet that’s exactly what you’re doing. When did I even mention anything to do with Sanders? That was all you, but you’re quite fixated on it.

Meanwhile, Bloomberg was the keynote speaker at the 2004 republican convention, and a key supporter of George Bush, has repeatedly campaigned and legislated against support for the poor and homeless, and environmental regulations like restrictions on lead paint. He gives massive discounts to Trump on his golf course properties, belitles professions he has zero understanding of as morons, and on and on…

6 Likes

So much this!

The Democrats have been chasing “the center” for so long that most these days are ideologically indistinguishable from moderate, right wing Republicans of thirty years ago.

9 Likes

One of the best part of Bloomberg dropping out is that I won’t have to see endless Bloomberg ads: https://youtu.be/yQBMg47Mmkg

3 Likes

Ummm, what about Carter?

11 Likes

I don’t believe Bernie is actually extreme I think most of his ideas are just common sense at this point being ignored because of the power structure in place.

The man makes more sense than anyone else in this country right now but that’s exactly why no one will listen to him. He’s absolutely right that there are too many vested interests against what he believes and supports.

3 Likes

You said that Bloomberg was dropping out and endorsing Biden deliberately to sabotage the democratic parties chances of winning general election. If I misunderstood I apologize, but if that is what you meant it is a totally baseless conspiracy theory predicated on the idea that not only is Sanders (the only viable alternative to Biden) more electable but that it is obvious to Bloomberg.

1 Like

I can’t see how anyone who voted for Hillary wouldn’t vote for Biden. I can see more moderates or closer to center conservatives vote for Biden.

At this point, the Status Quo sounds nice compared to the dumpster fire.

I am not saying I disagree with your point that Sanders at least WANTS more change, but I agree with @reallySorryAboutThat - anyone but Trump, even if Biden is the best you can do.

Also, I have slowly become more agreeable with Sanders, but the problem is he can’t just make a lot of what he wants happen. He will have to win Congress to get anything done.

3 Likes