šŸ’„ ARE YOU OLD? šŸ’„

Am I old? Yes and no. Yes in that I have never been young. No in several of the other ways. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yup. The only thing that keeps my back from getting totally fucked is playing hockey twice a week. Skipping a night means pain.

7 Likes

Cycling, walking, climbing and if ignored a power lifting regime, does it for me. Itā€™s not the back over here but the hip bone. But I expect the back is just luring for now. And one arm, elbow-shoulder.
But thats another story, my own fault, rest is age. Or something like that :wink:

5 Likes

Yes. Picking up heavy stuff and putting it back down seems to be the closest thing weā€™ve found to a fountain of youth.

3 Likes

Like my bag full of sweat-soaked hockey gear after each game? It seriously feels at least 10 lbs heavier when I leave the rink.

4 Likes

I am only 30 and already my back constantly hurts

4 Likes

Iā€™m 33 and everythingā€™s fine so far, but Iā€™m not sure for how longā€¦ (ten years seems like a much shorter time than it used to)

2 Likes

The other day was my seventeenth wedding anniversary and my (by several years) younger sister and her husband fought in front of me.

Huh. Perspective is a funny thing.

10 Likes

Hey congrats man! Isnā€™t it odd that you generally go wait it has been that long already?

3 Likes
  1. Never.
  2. I gave away my birthdays at 17 to a greedy little boy who wanted more birthdays to get more presentsā€¦
7 Likes

Congratulations! :champagne: Ours is on the 20th.

4 Likes
  1. Am I old? YES
  2. Because I have been recovering from the same back injury over and over again for the last thirty years.

perusing previous posts i see this experience is not unique

10 Likes

I keep forgetting that I am 37. Either I really feel young still or ā€¦ What was I saying?

3 Likes

Ours is this Sunday. Itā€™s the day after Mrs. Robertsā€™ birthday, so I have no excuses to forget either (or combine presents, which was a precondition to getting married on that date). I donā€™t feel as old now as I am shocked at how young I was then. 12 years agoā€¦

2 Likes

I was around that age when mainstream medical doctors started telling me that my constant back and joint pain was osteoarthritic and incurable and that I would never be free from pain again for the rest of my life. I tried several doctors and they all hewed to that party line.

Then I got rolfed, which is an alternative physical therapy and thus considered toxic woo by bOINGbOINGā€¦ and was pain free (including migraine free) for over two years. Even now, almost a quarter century later, I have much less bodily pain than I had when I was your age. (I should probably note that I have lots of scar tissue and calcifications; not everyone will respond to rolfing as well as I did. Itā€™s generally most effective for massive blunt trauma damage.)

10 Likes

Mine should be temporary. During pregnancy your ligaments loosen and stay loose for at least a year afterwards. Then you throw in bending a picking a baby up off the floor, out of a crib and out of the bath and you really fuck your back up. Especially if you tend to carry that baby on one side only. I think my endometriosis does something to it too.

Anyway, Iā€™m seeing a physio and sheā€™s working on it.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a program called ā€œBouncing Back From Babyā€ which is a massage therapy training specific to working on pregnant and new moms. It was created by an excellent massage therapist (she has taught anatomy and physiology classes at medical schools, for example) based out of Colorado now. Not sure where you are, and if there is a massage therapist in your area who has trained to work on moms specifically, but itā€™s out there and you could look to see if youā€™ve got anyone locally.

5 Likes

A very quick internet search suggests this kind of massage therapy hasnā€™t reached Australia yet. My physio is doing good work though.

3 Likes

Iā€™m starting each morning for the past two weeks with ibuprofen, coffee and a multivitamin. I did a lot of heavy physical work last month. Reeeeeeeaaaallllly feeling it now.

I keep hearing that when people get older they get a lot more sensitive to caffeine and caffeinated beverages. I canā€™t tell if my total lack of this sensitivity is alarming or comes as a total relief because I do like coffee quite a bit.

Old? Is that what you call feeling like 10 miles of bad road?

8 Likes

17 Likes