šŸ’„ ARE YOU OLD? šŸ’„

I turn 31 next month (on a rather infamous date). Someone here is the same age as me!

10 Likes

Could be worse.

You could be the same age as @japhroaig and @beschizza.

7 Likes

Please say itā€™s 9/11

7 Likes

It is.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s my wedding anniversary from 1999.

11 Likes

Oh, and if it wasnā€™t obvious, we are taking it back :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oy, yes, but I figure that the same conditions that lead to me having zits in my 40ā€™s is what keeps me looking 20 years younger than my peers.

12 Likes

In one hour and 46 minutes (PDT), I will be another year older.

19 Likes

:musical_score: and many moooooreā€¦ :notes: :musical_note:

13 Likes

Iā€™ll probably still be awake then, but just in case: happy birthday!

I am old, but not as old as Iā€™m gonna be. Havenā€™t been older than the President yet, and itā€™s not going to happen this election, but it wonā€™t be too much longer, I expect.

11 Likes

Happy birthday! Iā€™ve always loved the convenience of aging being quantized into one year increments.

No Iā€™m not 45 damn it; that happens tomorrow. :wink:

15 Likes

Happy birthday! (in an hour)
Weā€™re in our way homeā€¦ We can stop somewhere and grab a cake and be in Long Beach just in time.

5 Likes

to you as well!

5 Likes

It was a rhetorical element, but thank you. Iā€™ll hold it in reserve, for when Iā€™mā€¦

Oh, letā€™s not talk about it right nowā€¦

5 Likes

Sorry, i was posting-while-sleepy, I missed that. :blush:

3 Likes

Awww, thanks @Nightflyer, @piratejenny, @tropo and @crenquis!

10 Likes

Flew to Norway on a whim, planning to cycle back to Hamburg. Got lost in Oslo because I didnā€™t have data for GPS and I couldnā€™t follow the map (my short term memory is bad). Had to be rescued by my host. Got tired, skipped Sweden completely (I took a bus to Copenhagen) and made it a Denmark trip. Last year I could do a week long tour without a break. How did this happen?

Iā€™m old.

21 Likes

My maternal grandmother and her family were born and raised on a Saskatchewan farm. She and her sisters looked much younger than they were, and four of her sisters lived to see 90, one turned 100. I suspect the more complete consumption of livestock (i.e. organ meats, full of Vitamin A and glycerin) on a regular basis bestowed anti-aging properties.

Ray Peatā€™s article on gelatin is a long, scientific piece on the beneficial properties of gelatin (cooked collagen), the degenerative and harmful properties of amino acids cysteine and tryptophan (released in high quantities during stress) and the broad range of protective qualities in amino acids proline and glycine,

Some points I found interesting:

• Restricting only tryptophan, or only cysteine, produces a greater extension of the life span than achieved in most of the studies of caloric restriction.

• Tryptophan is the precursor to serotonin, which causes inflammation, immunodepression, and generally the same changes seen in aging.

The topic argument is ā€œIn the industrialized societies, the consumption of gelatin has decreased, relative to the foods that contain an inappropriately high proportion of the antimetabolic amino acids, especially tryptophan and cysteine.The degenerative and inflammatory diseases can often be corrected by the use of gelatin-rich foods.ā€

Some years ago I saw the documentary ā€œJiro Dreams of Sushiā€ and learned that, in his forties, Jiro Ono started wearing white cotton gloves to protect his hands from the sun. The octogenarianā€™s hands, dedicated to handling oily fish for generations, are a study. I vowed to get cotton gloves for my hands for the same effect. Maybe some Japanese seafood restaurant will hire me to massage the oily fish for them (Jiroā€™s underlings massaged fish flesh for at least 45 minutes daily).

8 Likes

Olay actually makes a super-high-end skincare for the Japanese market called SK-II thatā€™s based on what they call Pitera ā€“ a fermented rice extract ā€“ which they say they discovered when they noticed that the hands of people who made sake were extremely smooth. It might work beautifully, but Iā€™d rather massage fish than pay $385 for skin lotion.

6 Likes

The Japanese restaurants wouldnā€™t have to pay me much. Having frequent meals of sashimi would be reward enough.
Your contributions from Olayā€™s Inner Sanctum have altered my perception of skincare and inspired a new regimen for me.

5 Likes