šŸ’„ ARE YOU OLD? šŸ’„

How old is the car? Cause any recent model will have a USB port so just insert a thumb drive and instant jukebox.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t it weird how people talk about ā€œthe radioā€, as if there is only one of them? Why is it so seldom ā€œa radioā€?

1 Like

Youā€¦ You donā€™t know? Itā€™s like highlander, there can be only one.

15 Likes

Butā€¦ if pop music is like junk food snacks, you can never eat just one!

2 Likes

Less recent models have an AUX input.
Even less recent ones can be operated either with a short-range FM transmitter dongle, or by cutting a line on the circuitboard and adding the AUX input.

5 Likes

Bluetooth, duh. :wink:

2 Likes

Ooh, goody, 20th century technology! I have been waiting nearly 20 years for USB to die, I hate it so much! Half-assed protocol transport connectors grumble. Itā€™s worth building a car from scratch simply so it wouldnā€™t have USB ports. Did I mention that I dislike USB?

I have a silly gizmo which is an MP3 player which fits inside a tape cassette shell. So it is its own built-in tape-head adaptor. And you can use the fast-forward and rewind controls to change which tracks it plays! But I donā€™t use it because I encode in FLAC and have neither a car nor working cassette deck.

What I would ideally do is stuff a SBC like a Raspberry Pi in the dashboard and load it with musical algorithms which can be controlled from the steering wheel. The tech needs to get smaller before it will work on my pogo stickā€¦

1 Like

I hated it when it started. Warming up to it somewhat by now, and trying to understand the LUFA framework.

Check out the Pi Zero. Cheaper and smaller.

2014 Prius C Two; I stream Google Play Music over bluetooth. I also have an iPod Classic in the glovebox to connect via USB, but navigating through 160GB of music with the carā€™s interface is not particuarly fun. (I have a 128GB USB stick full of music too, but the car wonā€™t read its format, so I use it at work instead.)

My previous car though was a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ā€“ and the factory stereo had no aux input or tape deck, just CD. The FM transmitters I tried were really bad. So I burned CDs and kept almost buying a replacement stereo for it, right up until I traded it in. Havenā€™t burned a CD since.

I donā€™t listen to the radio ever, really, but refer to music played in public places as ā€œthe radioā€ in a general sense :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ahh I have 2012 prius whateverā€¦ bigger display but the UI is lacking. Though after the 1998 saturn it replaced it is like a spaceship. I just have everything on shuffle play and skip through songs that I donā€™t want to hear at the time.

Did I ever tell you about the 1978 Lincoln continental, green four door I cruised around in for years? 8 track and am only. Herb Alpert was my copilot.

This isnā€™t it, but besides the color, its a perfect vision of what I drove.

People would always come up to me in parking lots and marvel at the green Naugahyde seats. I was old before I was young :smiley:

13 Likes

And now Iā€™m a year older!

17 Likes

Happy birthday!

11 Likes

Thanks!

7 Likes

Yes, happy birthday fellow Capricorn (if you believe that sort of thing)!

3 Likes

Go go goats!

(My birthday was last week)

5 Likes

congrats on surviving another trip around the glowy sky orbā€¦

7 Likes

Happy b-day! (And we can sing it to you without paying some con artist royalties.)

@crashproof, @TobinL: Why is it I was the only one who would cop to driving a bloody prius in that stupid thread a couple years ago? I kinda hate it, so Iā€™m going to drive it into the ground so as to not inflict it upon anyone else. Sadly, because I kinda hate it, itā€™ll probably never die. :frowning:

2 Likes

I am pretty sure I owned up to driving one thenā€¦ it isnā€™t the most fun car to drive but I do like the gas savings and it is paid off. Also it is easy to get in and out of which counts for A LOT in my choice of cars as I am OLD.

5 Likes

I probably didnā€™t have my Prius at the time, and didnā€™t participate as much on the BBS side of things then.

I mostly like my Prius C ā€“ a lot of people tend to prefer its ride over the regular Prius or the V. Itā€™s very similar to my spouseā€™s Yaris, except much quieter and $30 will carry it over a thousand miles. If somebody hit the reset button and I had my money back and no car, Iā€™d buy one again, except in Sun Fusion or Electric Lime instead of Absolutely Red.

3 Likes