šŸ’„ ARE YOU OLD? šŸ’„

Happy birthday for last week, fellow goat!

Mineā€™s the 9th and yes I totally expect acknowledgment from every single reg hereā€¦ because the world does revolve around me me me. Not that Iā€™m a sociopath(ic old goat) or anything.

7 Likes

I hear you guys on the gas mileage. That and the stereo are the only things I like about it. I liked several other vehicles considerably more, but that siren song of spending less on gas when it was stuck at $4-ish a gallon was impossible to ignore. Over the past 6 years, itā€™s been thousands of dollars that I havenā€™t had to spend on gas.

Question though, does it lie to you about when you need gas? Mine does this regularly. The lights are blinking like itā€™s gonna die any minute, go fill up, and itā€™s less than 10 gallons. I named the car Filthy Little Liar. (Itā€™s silver, I wash it maybe 4 times a year.)

3 Likes

I find the beep I get when the range is under 30ish miles/1 bar means I will be putting in very close to 10 gallons.

1 Like

No, just gruff.

2 Likes

I rented a Prius for a cross country trip, and it struck me how it was more difficult to get into and out of than my Honda CRV. Also, the visibility is a lot more obstructed in the Prius.

Of course, next time I do that drive, Iā€™ll rent another Prius, so itā€™s not a knock. I just love my Honda and will drive it as long as I can, hoping for another 15 years.

Yeah that is a valid complaint and mostly to the rear. I shoulder check and still almost not see cars when changing lanes.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a 12.9 gallon tank, or in Prius-speak, over 100 miles. Might be useful if Iā€™m in the middle of the Mojave, but super annoying in Metro Detroit.

@cleveremi: Youā€™ve just compared an SUV to a car. Iā€™m glad you didnā€™t drive the Prius in snow.

@TobinL: side mirrors are waaayyy out. Still, not nearly as bad as an HHR for visibility.

1 Like

No, I am not old.

First, if the actuaries are right, I have many more years ahead of me than I have behind me.

Second, I am getting better at determining what makes me happy, and healthy, and self-fulfilled, so the years ahead look considerably brighter than the years behind.

Third, I have never lost my sense of fun, so whoā€™s old when youā€™re young at heart?

Finally, and less seriously, by the time my body starts to degrade in earnest, I plan on pouring my consciousness into a robot/clone/rejuvenated body and living forever, so a puny few decades on this planet cannot qualify me as ā€œoldā€ when I anticipate centuries ahead.

3 Likes

Yes I am old.
I work daily with undergrads and hopeful highschool students and they are quick to point out how ā€œoldā€ am. (They also donā€™t know who The Eagles are.)

But I am not old enough because the generation behind me are waiting for the boomers to retire so they can have their jobs and me and the rest of GenX are all wait what no us next then you, get in line sonny!

11 Likes

Lucky little shits.

17 Likes

I bet theyā€™d know who The Eagles are if Gwaihir the Windlord had taken the One Ring to Orodruin himself instead of just ferrying Gandalf around.

3 Likes

Oops. Passed that milestone a while ago!

4 Likes

I am quite literally at middle age according to life expectancy tables. Despite middle age seeming to be 55-60ā€¦?

6 Likes

Yes.

Because: Life.

4 Likes
  1. No
  2. Because despite being 36 I still get asked if Iā€™m over 18 from time to time and most people think Iā€™m a student. My partner-in-crime is only 20 years old. My mischievous, rebellious and anti-authority nature is still in full effect and I still believe in magic.

waitā€¦

1. Yes
    2 .Because Iā€™m serious and curmudgeonly. I listen to albums and canā€™t understand why anyone would listen to music ripped from Youtube videos. I donā€™t get most youth culture. Iā€™m more than aware of my own mortality and the lightning speed Iā€™m moving towards my demise scares me more than I care to admit. I look at my partner-in-crime with a smile sometimes because she reminds me of my own youthful naivety before life weighed me down.
7 Likes

Honestly, death does not scare me. Part of this comes from being a millennial - I have no expectation or even hope of ever having a high paying job, a fully paid off house or a comfortable pension. I donā€™t actually have any pension at the moment, and Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll bother. Iā€™m not planning on getting a mortgage. I plan to work as long as I can, then either move in with my kids or end it (the only exception is if my wife is still alive - she knows my opinion and she has the only veto).

This may seem depressing, but Iā€™m not depressed at all. I have no intention of giving the best years of my life in service of unaccountable corporations and an empty dream of financial stability (ETA: that should probably read prosperity - I do care about being financially responsible, saving money etc.) and a comfortable old age, and so I fully intend to spend them enjoying the things that many people wait until their retirement for - family, travel, time for myself etc. A good work/life balance is essential, because this is all I have.

6 Likes

Sorry I ran you over I was changing tracks.

Now dawning on me you meant buttons on wheel not turning wheel to send commands.

Death only scares me because I screwed up my 20s and early 30s and pretty much wasted over a decade of my life not growing as a person or experiencing the kind of things most do in that time. Now Iā€™m heading towards 40 and playing catch up so when I reach the end Iā€™ll do so with the minimal of regrets.

It bothers me that Iā€™ll leave this mortal coil as little more than a silent whisper in the annals of time ā€“ no real achievements made, no legacy left behind, no one to remember I was even here ā€“ and that no amount of determination, grit and moxxie can outrun the inevitable.

6 Likes

You should be able to derive some comfort knowing that there are about half as many X-ers as Millennials. This should translate to more management jobs for your generation than mine after the Boomers finally die off, only caveat is the top management jobs will be held by X-ers for longer than youā€™re going to want us to.

4 Likes

I think to some extent, almost everyone is in the same boat. I donā€™t know the names of my great grandparents (although I actually met two of them), and I doubt Iā€™ll make a big enough splash in my life to warrant a mention in a newspaper or anything like that. There is still plenty of time to make a difference and enjoy a happy life at 40 (or even become successful, as a number of people have), but I kind of like the way that the promised rewards of sacrificing the next few decades are looking less realistic, so I can focus on actually making my life better now and in the future. I do want to make other peopleā€™s lives better too, but I accept that my life will not last much longer than a half a century from now and my memory isnā€™t likely to last more than half a century after that (and even then, only a few people will care that I existed at all). I am insignificant on a global and historical scale, and probably only make a difference at the level of my interactions with people now. Good - that shows me where I should be putting my effort.

Dying in my 70s is only one eventuality, and I actually find it releasing to have a minimum standard that Iā€™m willing to live for. My wife has cared for many older people who were well off and had a pension, savings and property but had been abandoned by their children. Itā€™s not a life I want, although there are many other options and I do know people who have been happy well after retirement.

Interestingly enough, my wife was not shocked or disapproving when I said that Iā€™d rather accept a dignified euthanasia than spend the rest of my life alone in an old folksā€™ home. Her reaction reminds me of this article about how doctors face death. Still, I want her to know now while Iā€™m young, healthy and not depressed, so that it isnā€™t seen as an impulsive act.

@IronEdithKidd I donā€™t want a management job, and Iā€™m not willing to sacrifice myself, my time and my relationships for a higher wage. The managers I know donā€™t have better lives than I do, in any case.

4 Likes