💥 ARE YOU OLD? 💥

If it helps, most people who bother to think about things instead of just coasting through life have the same realization around the same time. You’re in good company!

6 Likes

Am I the only person who thinks of the following poem EVERY.SINGLE.TIME I read the headline of this thread?:

I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

10 Likes

Probably.

3 Likes

That’s kind of sad, actually.

5 Likes

I’ll just hike up my trousers until the waist is under my armpits.

5 Likes

Hipster.

10 Likes

No, I am not old.

I am starting a new life in five days. On one side I have all the things I’ve already done, and don’t need to do again: a mortgage, hot air balloons, cave exploring, marriage, love, the best gig ever. I dont have to do those ever again, and it feels liberating.

On the other side is all the things I can’t think of, just like when I was a wee tyke. I don’t know what’s gonna happen, and I am excited!

16 Likes

I recently read somewhere [here, maybe? though I don’t think so…] that Eliot was only in his early 20’s when he wrote it.

2 Likes

Out of likes yet again, so you get this pathetic response instead.

Go, you!

5 Likes

Although I liked this post, I’m concerned about you apparently writing off experiencing love ever again. You’re only in your 30’s, right? You’ve still got about 50 years ahead of you!

1 Like

I’ve had the great, romantic, intimate love of my life :smile: There are many friends and family that I love, but the big one, similar to a particular Meatloaf song, is in the rear view mirror. And to mix Meatloaf and Vonnegut, So It Goes.

I’m moving forward, and I’ll be damned if I don’t get more stories to tell. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

no

More than half the population of Britain are older than me. I have another five years to find another reason why I’m not old.

5 Likes

And then you can just move to Germany or Japan, and you’ll have another six years to play with! Just don’t move to Niger, the median age is 15.

@japhroaig Another great, romantic, intimate love of your life doesn’t have to negate the significance of the first - hope you find happiness whatever happens.

5 Likes

No, its just… Special. Besides, more new adventures await. (Then I slip on a banana peel and my head inextricably falls off :sunglasses:)

4 Likes

I totally get it. Realizing that one does not HAVE to have romantic partner at all times to have a full and wonderful life is both freeing and grounding at the same time.

8 Likes

That would be the most boingboing death ever. Prolific commenter @japhroaig was cultivating experimental hybrids of the Gros Michel banana cultivar in California, when one of them tragically took his life.
Just look at it.

15 Likes

Has anyone. In the history of human existence. Ever slipped on a banana?

My name is Japhroaig, and I’m here to find out.

5 Likes
2 Likes

During the 19th century, cities relied heavily on wild pigs that roamed the streets to dispose of rotting organic matter.

2 Likes

I used to wonder about this myself! Until, one amazing day, it happened to me. No, this is not the amateur erotica column.

When I worked as a bike messenger, I usually parked by hopping my bike up onto the curb before unclipping my cleats from the pedals, laying the bike parallel to the wall in one (hopefully) quick and graceful motion. But one time, I was in the Boston financial district, hopped up to the curb - only to have it repel me, dumping me back into the street. Upon examination, I saw that my rear wheel had actually landed upon a discarded banana peel. Since my wheel was not quite vertical, but slightly inclined towards the building, the wheel just slid and dumped me. I found it quite amusing.

12 Likes