šŸ’„ ARE YOU OLD? šŸ’„

It wasnā€™t a banana, rather it was a banana slug, so this might be off-topic.

Picture UC Santa Cruz in the early 90s, the idyllic days of no grades and written evaluations. The dress code was ā€œwhen it class, you must be dressedā€. Everything smelled like the woods, with tinges of patchouli and low-quality weed, depending on where you were on campus. Winding paths through the redwoods and eucalyptus trees were littered with leaves that resembled banana slugs and plenty of actual banana slugs.

The campus is big, and sometimes I had to hurry to get all the way from one end to the other, but it was do-able on foot. One day, I was hurrying along and my feet flew out from under me. I landed on my butt, then the back of my head. Luckily, I had my hair in a well-placed bun, so it didnā€™t crack my skull open, and thank goodness Iā€™m fairly well padded otherwise. No one was close enough to see it, but it felt like the classic pratfall. Iā€™m sure it would have been hilarious to watch.

6 Likes

Weā€™re long past off topic, but Iā€™m bringing topic back

Yes, Iā€™m old

Because youā€™re only as old as you feel, and I feel old. Because Iā€™m working a job to pay my mortgage, and I wonā€™t consider leaving it for something more exciting because, as previously mentioned, mortgage. Because my eldest will be a teenager next month. Because I canā€™t remember the last thing I tried something new.

However, almost all the items one that list are negotiable (except the teenager), so Iā€™m cautiously optimistic that while Iā€™m old today, I might get better

5 Likes
5 Likes
  1. yes

2)a)Something that makes me feel old is being old enough to see the nostalgia industry get oneā€™s formative decades grossly generalized and gotten wrong. And for the culture and politics bent to new agendas decades later.

b)I am at a point where every new ache or pain doesnā€™t ever really go away, it just accumulates with all the previous aches and pains

c) also, I was talking with a guy in his late 20s:

me: have you seen Tao of Steve?
him: no
me: Oh, well you know Steve McQueen?
him: whoā€™s that?
me: facepalm

6 Likes

Wouldnā€™t they then have to deal with yet another form of ā€œrotting organic matterā€, post porcine digestion?

2 Likes

So the school mascot isnā€™t just a flight of fancy? There really are a lot of banana slugs there?

I learned something new today. :smiley:

2 Likes

And parts north all the way up into Canadaā€¦ you have to check the steps when you go outside on damp morningsā€¦

1 Like

Oh yeah, I think thatā€™s why they picked it. True, itā€™s fanciful, and the idea of a fighting banana slug is ridiculous, but theyā€™re really all. over. the. place. At least they were 20+ years ago.

1 Like

Yes. I listened to Sabbath and Budgie when they came out. Metallica, GnR and Motƶrhead are all Johnny-come-latelys.

1 Like

Heā€™s that race car in the Cars movies, right?

5 Likes
  1. No.
  2. The punch card era was already almost over when I started programming. I only briefly did debugging that involved ā€œThis card moves the contents of the accumulator to the X registerā€¦ā€
1 Like

Director of 12 years a slave

3 Likes

I grow old ā€¦ I grow old ā€¦
When will I eā€™er get off hold?

6 Likes

Itā€™s my husbandā€™s birthday today.

2 Likes

So heā€™s another year older AND a dad?

Heā€™s going to have to start wearing dark trouser socks with his sandals. And the dad jokesā€¦donā€™t forget the dad jokes!

6 Likes

Oh! A belated happy birthday for yesterday, Mr Xanthe Stone!

1 Like

I believe @XantheStone is a Ms., if you donā€™t mind. :slightly_smiling:

(But I welcome correction!)

But, but, wasnā€™t it Mr Xanthe Stone birthday we should have celebrated yesterday? :wink:

3 Likes

It appears to me that @XantheStone wrote ā€œItā€™s my husbandā€™s birthday today.ā€ And then @jyoti wrote ā€œA belated happy birthday for yesterday, Mr Xanthe Stone!ā€

Which would explain why the birthday wishes are for ā€œMrā€ XantheStone. But doesnā€™t actually prove XantheStone as a Ms or Mr I guess :slightly_smiling:

More importantly though, what are we doing up at this hour?? (itā€™s ā€œstill upā€ for meā€¦ā€œup alreadyā€ or ā€œstill upā€ perhaps for you)

5 Likes

More wine?

Meanwhile Iā€™m just one of those cancers you canā€™t get rid of.

11 Likes